JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
P22. It shoots low and is really finicky on Ammo. The mags load goofy. I still like it for a can plinker. Looks cool.
22/45 with Solow mounted red dot. Friggin accurate and a real favorite with my daughters and most kid shooters.
Single six. Great first gun (was/is my 1st) Accurate, but won't go thru ammo very fast cause it's single action.
Ruger Charger. Great long range shooter but no optics out of the box.

Most Rugers have tons of add on stuff so accessorizing can get addictive.

I recently bought a new Beretta Neos. New, it's within your price range. Shoots pretty much whatever I put in it, easy (!) to clean, and accurate to boot.

If you have a female companion that might like to try it it also has a bit smaller grip than some of the others. My wife likes to shoot it yet the grip is not too small and I also enjoy shooting it.

Did you happen to get the recall notice? It seems there is a condition that when taking the firearms safety off, it could fire. Might want to contact them to see if your gun is on the list.

Question: are you going to CCW with this gun? If so, The Beretta 21a is my pic. Fun to shoot. Fit in your pocket. Shoot fast. Look on YOUTUBE under bertta 21a and see for yourself. Its been around a long time. Just get a beretta, not the Taurus.

I see High Standard Model B's in good shape for $200-250. All steel. In revolvers, the Ruger Single Six used can go for under $300 with finish loss.

Both of these will retain their value better than many of the newer offerings.

Question: are you going to CCW with this gun? If so, The Beretta 21a is my pic. Fun to shoot. Fit in your pocket. Shoot fast. Look on YOUTUBE under bertta 21a and see for yourself. Its been around a long time. Just get a beretta, not the Taurus.

I just traded for a Beretta 21a, it's a ton of fun to shoot! Very small, easy to field strip and clean, just plain fun for short-range plinking!

Greg

I bought my first pistol in 2000. A browning buck mark and I have to say I have never shot another 22 pistol that I liked better. I had to get one for my sons 13 birthday. The buck mark rifle is also my favorite 22 rifle. I have zero complaints for the buck mark platform.

We like our S&W 22A, but there is no way that it will shoot a box of 'golden bullets' without problems, but then again, why would I want to shoot something as awful as golden bullets anyway. It does fine with federal bulks, federal auto match, blazer and mini mags. Really not a bad cheap pistol.

A right on response, we have a 22A, and it's been terrific as a target gun for my wife who is impaired. The 5.5 inch barrel gives good accuracy, has low recoil, cycles safe away from your hand, expels the casing without hitting you, has nice feel, good sights far enough apart, has a nice weight to it, looks good, and feels like a real, full sized, pistol on your hand. It's too big for concealing though.

This never has a misfeed...
GunInv2021RugerSS22-1.jpg

Kind of fun to read through this. Looking today, in the price range mentioned, I'd probably look at the Taurus TX22. If you increase the price a bit, I'd look at the Ruger SR22 or M&P Compact 22.

LOL......the solution to the ammo problem is......to buy it by the case. Seriously. When you find an ammo that works.

Why and My Experience in this matter?

IMHO....as with all brands and offerings of 22LR ammo.....
Your particular firearm will probably love one flavor of ammo, over another. Rrrrright.....some firearms prefer Remington, Aguila, Federal, Winchester, CCI, GECO, etc.... Not to mention, that functioning with some semi-auto firearms can also sometimes be a problem with the different offerings of 22LR.

Then, the price.....
So anyway, I don't expect MATCH results, at the cheaper end of the spectrum. Rrrright.....Match vs. "Plinking Ammo". And consider that lot # changes. Yes, and your accuracy result will probably too.

My Walther P22 loves the cheap Remington ammo and will choke on CCI Blazer. It doesn't mean that the pistol is complete garbage. But, that's life, IMHO. Try looking at the various YouTube videos on the subject.

And....to add contrast to the discussion. My S&W 41 does not like the "cheap promo" 22LR ammo.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews