JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was charged with 2 counts of assault IV in August of 1993. I was not informed that by taking a plea bargain that I would lose my rights. My charges were not in line with the crime I was accused of. This was during the time that DV laws were being handed out like candy by law enforcement. I was 19, I came home drunk to get more money. My brother restrained me from leaving, my mom called for an ambulance because I was drunk and hyperventilating. The police also showed and stated "we got called, so someone is going to jail." I took the agreement and fulfilled my sentencing with out issue. Since then (19 years later) I have not had any other arrests. I have talked with a few local attorneys (not specializing in this field) about having my case heard, but honestly at this time I can not afford 2k in legal fees. I have applied for a pardon with Gregoire, and was not even given consideration. She is well known for her anti-firearm stance. I have also been told about the "Voluntary appeal form" process. But here is one example of what answers I cannot find. Let's say my father in-law wants to give me a shotgun, how can I find the least expensive way to legally obtain my right to have this firearm? Are there attorneys who can help that are advocates for Gun owners in my area (I have called using the phone book, but I usually get secretary blocked. I am a father of 4 on a single income, I don't use state assistance, but I don't feel the state has a right to make me pay excessively to re-obtain my Second Amendment rights. Please community can you offer up any advice or direction.

Write to the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, they might be able to give you some references to decent assistance. You can expect to have to pay anyway, as I don't think that will be a short process to go through.

I'd also recommend contacting the Second Amendment Foundation. Please be sure to keep us updated.

Again thank you all for your help. I was successful in having my record vacated. I did this on my (without an attorney) but wasn't able to do it without the help of this community. I did run into this issue though, record vacation doesn't automatically restore rights. I have to file a petition in superior court for a "rights Restoration." You need both these processes done before the federal government can't touch you. No problem except a money issue. It is 200 dollars to file and 40 dollars for court fee. So 240 doesn't sound like much, but it is. I started a go fund me account, and I can't find any rules on here that says we aren't allowed to post a link for help. Has anyone else seen this, or admins, am I allowed to post my gofundmedotcom link? If I can raise the money, I will be all done within 6 weeks, and put this whole thing behind me. I want to teach my kids how to hunt, like my grandpa taught me.

Last Edited:
Did you get it expunged? I'm not sure about Washington but here in Oregon my wife was able to get her concealed permit and buy a revolver in her name after just getting an expungement.
What is this rights restoration process you have to go through?.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads