JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since most SAR groups are made up of Volunteers their time limits aren't infinite. They have jobs/school etc. to think about. Also, SAR field work is considerably more difficult than hunting in the same area is. In SAR you are expected to go through the brush rather than around which is the way most hunters would do it. You can never tell which way a lost Hunter might go. I'd guess the SAR units are working with their second string because in a week the first stringers have had all they can take. I'm not saying the second stringers aren't very good because they are. They just might not have as much experience as the first stringers. And many SAR units have only one string.

I'm still hoping this guy is found but at this point it's most likely a recovery and not a search for a lost Hunter any longer.

Reading through this thread has me wondering if any of the hunters here use a PLB. Seems like a pretty basic piece of gear to take along on a hike/hunt/climb. Think I'll get one.

517F862F-7B04-4341-AD26-4D953D9E9BB1.png

Reading through this thread has me wondering if any of the hunters here use a PLB. Seems like a pretty basic piece of gear to take along on a hike/hunt/climb. Think I'll get one.View attachment 406513
I haven't looked at one recently(in the '60s & '70s they could cost a Grand) so don't have any idea as to cost but since lots of Shooters are distressed at the cost of a $25. or $50. Dollar set of Stocks for their $2,000.00 Sidearm I'm not sure if many would be interested. Things like that are a hard sell until you need one and then it's too late. The Feds had to make ELTs mandatory before most aircraft owners would purchase them and even then many pilots still don't maintain them properly.

I haven't looked at one recently(in the '60s & '70s they could cost a Grand) so don't have any idea as to cost but since lots of Shooters are distressed at the cost of a $25. or $50. Dollar set of Stocks for their $2,000.00 Sidearm I'm not sure if many would be interested. Things like that are a hard sell until you need one and then it's too late. The Feds had to make ELTs mandatory before most aircraft owners would purchase them and even then many pilots still don't maintain them properly.
I was just checking prices, and found one that looks pretty good for $320. (Marked down from $401.) Not cheap, but seems a worthwhile expense.

0179DB3C-A753-41C6-A587-70CA527F9756.png

You can rent them at certain places can't you?
I thought I was hearing you could when they had lost hikers up on Mt Hood one year:

You can get them on Amazon for $250.

A simple GPS can keep you from getting lost, but when you add in injury or medical issue there's nothing you can buy to save you.

Dehydration, hypothermia, hyperthermia, diabetic issues, there's a ton that can creep up on you.
Add in the snow and it's a deadily combo.

I walked up to a 20-30ft drop off down the road from where this guy was a couple months back and it was hard to see.
If he was cold, add in feet of snow it would be easy to fall. If you consciousness or get injured, after one night your gone.

I'd be more than happy to spend some time looking even after the snow melts. Families need closure.

Instead of a forest clean up, as sportsman and hunters we should organize a lost hunter search group for when SAR comes up empty.
Anything to give a grieving family closure.

You never know when it could be one of us.

I'm going up hunting the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Possibly by myself for a couple days. I probably won't be as adventerous this trip.

Last Edited:
I am one of those dudes that enjoys hunting alone. My wife understands and is pretty cool with it, but a recent thread on here prompted me to PM a member to gain a little knowledge about PLBs. When I told her about these things she suggested that I get one. I think $2-300 is chump change for the service it will provide if/when it's needed.

Be nice if they could combine a good GPS with a PLB. Well, as long as it didn't cost as much as a pair of binos with a range finder!

Some of the Ski Lift operations, have in the past, offered ELT devices for rent. They frequently offer them at the end of season for sale, just like used Hospital Boards. I think I'd be looking at a place like the REI Co-op for an ELT. Other than being a Long time member and having a niece who works there PT I have no connection. I just know they spent big bucks looking at things like this.:):):)

The best PLB is a dog (or group of them) we need to do more to support people that keep and raise search and rescue dogs like bloodhounds. They don't get used often but are indispensable when needed. If I was the Sheriff in a rural county I would start a program to provide monthly support to a willing and capeable dog handler and his kennel so they were available when called on. In the marine world, we do the same thing with rescue tug boats. Paying to keep them pre positioned in common problem areas. Foss has kept one in Pt Angeles for decades and there is a large program with dedicated oil cleanup boats in the California Channel Islands.

It's been a couple years ago, a friend called me 2 AM Christmas morning, said his daughter and her group were apparently lost and stuck on Mt. Adams over night.

North of Trout Lake, they were far enough up the mountain that it was Yakima County. The police and/or rescue services out of Trout Lake and Klickitat County refused to help, as it was out of their jurisdiction. And there was no access from the Yakima County side.

We were lucky. We found them on our own and got them out. Things might not have turned out so well.

I have a SPOT tracker and I never go into the woods without it. Even if it's not turned on, I can turn it on an call for help. When I'm out of cell phone range I can send a message that tells my family I'm ok and drops a very precise pin where I'm at. That way if something does happen, folks at least know where to look. If you turn the tracking system on it's even better. Drops a pin every 10 or 15 minutes.
The system isn't cheap, I think about $200 a year, but it's worth the piece of mind for me.

Long-term Review: SPOT Gen3 Satellite Messenger

I have a SPOT tracker and I never go into the woods without it. Even if it's not turned on, I can turn it on an call for help. When I'm out of cell phone range I can send a message that tells my family I'm ok and drops a very precise pin where I'm at. That way if something does happen, folks at least know where to look. If you turn the tracking system on it's even better. Drops a pin every 10 or 15 minutes.
The system isn't cheap, I think about $200 a year, but it's worth the piece of mind for me.

Long-term Review: SPOT Gen3 Satellite Messenger

They now have an on demand service too.

I used this for a while when I was riding off-road. It is not foolproof, but it is better than nothing.

I often hunt solo and carry a ACR Resqlink PLB.

I'm sure the technology is rapidly changing but they make 2 types, simple beacons (PLB's) and advanced beacons with messaging capabilities (Messengers). The big difference between the two is the latter requires a paid subscription plan to operate, but allows you to send simple messages to friends or family outside of cell range.

Mine is a simple one, it has only 2 buttons... test and activate. Its registered to only me for life and requires no paid subscription. Its only to be used when all options for self rescue are gone. Every 5 years you have to send it in to get the battery replaced as the unit is specially sealed... it floats.

here is a good article in more detail explaining the differences between PLB's and Messengers.
How to Choose PLBs and Satellite Messengers

Found close to his pick up sounds suspicious.
Statistics show MANY lost hunters, hikers etc are found within a mile of their vehicle. Case in point the recent discovery of the body of a man gone missing in September of this year in Central Oregon was found 3/4 of a mile from his vehicle near Davis Lake. Read the accounts of James Kim who left his vehicle and family in Southern Oregon in 2006 and walked more than 16 MILES and was found dead only 1/2 mile from his vehicle. There is nothing 'suspicious' about it - if you are lost or stuck you don't EVER, EVER LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE unless you are 110% sure of your location and know exactly where you are and if safety is within easy reach! About the time of the KIM incident there was a guy who in a similar situation DID NOT leave his vehicle (In Washington if i remember) and SURVIVED because he had the presence of mind to NOT leave the vehicle and only went out on short, scouting hikes only a few hundred yards from it - AND SURVIVED.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top