JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am starting to reload some 357's with 231 powder, I have never use this powder before. The bullet
is 158 grain cast out of wheel weights and is a semi wad cutter. The Hodgen charts shows that I can
use 5 grains. Has anyone used this charge or do you think that this would be a good one to start with.

In those charts it is saying to use 6.7 or 6.1 if the bullet is casted from hard lead. In the hodgen charts it is saying to use 5.0. Wonder which one I should use.

that is always the safest way to go... I like to play with, or test the loads... I run with 3 to 6 books depending upon who had data for the load I am working on... i will start out by writing down all of the min and max numbers for every book i have... then I will average them for a base high, and a base low, then average that, and start there...then I will go higher by small increments usually I do 10 rounds at any given powder/bullet combo then i mark them, and work through them on paper until i find the one that shoots best.. then thats what I stay with... for instance
my 30-30 does not like the max load listed for 150 flat nose bullets.. it likes almost a full grain less for max accuracy... but for the 140 grain ftx poly tips.. it likes them right at the edge of max!

Thanks for the information I only have a little over 2 pounds of the 335 and then I will have to use something else. All of the shops around here are out of the 335. I am hoping by the time I run out of the 335 they will have some more in. I haven't decided on which powder to try out next.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top