JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

This may be true.

Going pick up my computer tue. Had one hell've virus. My computer geek said he had
never run in one this bad before. However he got rid of it.. My advast let it just walk in, malwarebytes didn't get it either.The geek found it with AVG but AVG couldn't get rid of it.I've got to go buy a good firewall-antivirus.

Bingo. Been running virus free on mine for about a decade.

It's an operating system. So is Windows, Mac OS X, and others. It is more configurable to your needs than the others. If you stay with a vanilla config and keep it updated they're pretty secure.
Let me google that for you

Does this mean I can replace windows and how easy is it to navigate? I've heard lots of good things on the net, but would like to get the opinions people currently using the system. Any downsides to Linux?

What I mean is that each distro has its own idiosyncrasies. There are a few that are built to be replacements for a Windows OS, Ubuntu and Linux Mint come to mind.

Mint has plugins to make things like browsing and playing videos easier without searching if I remember correctly.

The overall interface is different. Most work well without forcing you to figure out what's going on in the configuration files. Several years ago this wasn't the case.

Most non-server versions allow you to try it out without installing it by using a live cd. I believe most also walk you through setting up a machine that can boot to Linux or Windows. If you play PC games you almost to certainly won't be able to do that on Linux. If you surf the web, work with office documents, and play music/video files you should be able to do all that in Linux.

Coastal feel free to pm me if you run into questions.

LOL @ using linux to avoid malware, kinda like using a shotgun to kill a fly. The learning curve is too steep for 99% of users.

OP, just switch to chrome, use a script-blocker, switch to AVG and stop installing malware.

LOL @ using linux to avoid malware, kinda like using a shotgun to kill a fly. The learning curve is too steep for 99% of users.

OP, just switch to chrome, use a script-blocker, switch to AVG and stop installing malware.

are you using chrome?are the virus leaving it alone??i now have AVG what do you mean stop installing malware??? do you mean malwarebytes. my geek left it on my computer..

Linux is a personal computer subset of Unix, which is one of the original large computer OS. I don't know Linux, but I do know several versions of Unix and I will say...yes, much more flexable, but you will need to actually learn how to use it and some software will not run with it.

Once you understand Linux, you will like it a lot better than Windows, but it WILL take effort on your part to learn how to use it.

I use AVG (always have). It catches most everything, and updates daily (or actually, min daily, otherwise, every time you turn your computer on.

I always support people who are interested in running Linux because it is possible for a home user to run if they're willing to put some time in to learn some concepts. Running Windows in a competent, responsible manner also eludes many users. Modifying browsing habits and using software to eliminate user behavior are helpful steps. I've managed to convince people to set up a user account for their day to day usage. They still have an admin account but don't use it for web browsing. Antivirus software is necessary for Windows.

Linux is a personal computer subset of Unix, which is one of the original large computer OS. I don't know Linux, but I do know several versions of Unix and I will say...yes, much more flexable, but you will need to actually learn how to use it and some software will not run with it.

Linux is a distinct operating system with similarities to Unix Operating Systems. It is ran on a lot of servers and supercomputers so it not only for personal computers. Linux has many similarities to Unix OSs but it is a different OS. The experience for users of a traditional Unix OS and Linux should be similar. I agree with your statements regarding flexibility, learning curve, and software compatibility.

Right now Linux Mint is the best desktop version. As soon as I:
mow the yard
fix the fence
clean the kennels
clean my car
load my ammo
clean and rearrange the office
prime and paint the bathroom

I will install Mint. So tomorrow night sounds like a good time to do it.

I haven't had a computer virus in about ten years now. I can't say the same for my family members though, seems like I'm always either fixing their computers or removing viruses. I've between using Google chrome ever since it released and I highly recommend it! Fast, sleek, and prevents a lot of malware. I also recommend avira anti virus, has one of the best detection rates out there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads