JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a ruger mkII stainless model that the scope mount rail keeps comming loose after you fire 20-30 rds thru it. I can tighten them up and it does it again. I have used nail polish and loctite on screws going into receivers before and had 1 problem getting the screw back out. Given the size of the screws it doesnt take much to have a problem. Anybody else have the same issues or use something else???

What is the thread fit like? Are you using an inch pound torque wrench? What are you torquing them to? Loctite or not a fastener needs enough torgue to slightly stretch it and this tension is what actually holds it tight.

Clean the holes and the screws with acetone, apply red loctite (stud type) and enjoy.....

If you ever need to remove them, disassemble the upper and pour almost boiling hot water on the screws and the red loctite will break loose!

What is the thread fit like? Are you using an inch pound torque wrench? What are you torquing them to? Loctite or not a fastener needs enough torgue to slightly stretch it and this tension is what actually holds it tight.

Exactly. And if you over tighten the screws, you can permanently over stretch them and ruin the metal. They'll never stay tight.

rubbing alcohol and q-tips

One more time. Never rubbing alcohol. It has baby oil in it to replace the skin oils when used, and makes for a lousy cleaner. It's meant only for skin surfaces. Use acetone as Velzey said, or use denatured alcohol which you might have to ask the druggist for. It's still poison, LOL.

Exactly. And if you over tighten the screws, you can permanently over stretch them and ruin the metal. They'll never stay tight.

Overtorque the screws and it stretches them beyond their elastic range and deforms them in their plastic range. Overtightening can also fracture the threads in the receiver. "ruin the metal." That's why we use a torque wrench.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top