JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in a little town in south central Idaho. Unemployment is around 2%, If you want to work you cant have a job. Its a great community and housing is cheap. If you were any kind of a machinist I might even be able to give you some part time work.

I skipped over a bunch of posts so.....

I've been dreaming of being out of Oregon too, so awhile back I got a wild hair and went to looking around some of my old (40 yr) stomping/vacationing/fishing grounds. Anaconda Montana has some crazy prices for houses compared to the Northwest. Of course, as mentioned, freezing winters and not much work. But man, that sky, biggest and bluest you've ever seen!

If you were any kind of a machinist I might even be able to give you some part time work.

I went to National Tech Inst f/t Deaf in Rochester NY and graduated from their Computer Integrated Machining Tech program. Manual and CNC machining training is what I had 10 years ago. Might need refresher training depending on type of machine (CNC mainly) but I would love to work with manual milling machines and engine lathes again .:)

I would look for a source of income in your desired locals and move to where the money is.

I work at a gym and we have plenty of folks who live out of a vehicle that use the locker room amenities to keep clean.

Some places are more conducive to tent living then others. I.e. I wouldn't live in Arizona for anything without 24/7 air conditioning during the last few to the next few months etc.
C'mon man, Arizona's a dry heat, don't ya know? Kinda like a convection oven.

C'mon man, Arizona's a dry heat, don't ya know? Kinda like a convection oven.

I know the asphalt gets hot as hell and it's not smart to go barefoot in the middle of the day in the summer.:p:D:eek:

My mom was born there on a day that hit 126 and my trips thru there didn't land anything interesting enough to stick around lol, so I kept going on to Texas.

Check out Craigslist "Free" section. Often there are free tent trailers that may need varying degrees of work, but a better option then the ground. Your Kia Sportage would not have a problem towing some of the smaller TT's. Craigslist "FREE" could also provide some of the tools you may need.

Sounds like you are undecided about life.
I might be in the minority on this. But go be carefree. Do the traveling you want, now. Go see the places you might want to set roots down in. Stick around for a few days. Then move on to the next place.
Money can always be made somehow. Life works out like that. Enjoy being able to travel and see the states before you have any serious life issues(children) that require you to settle down.
Life is short and you dont want to get to the end and have that one regret....

Sounds like you are undecided about life.
I might be in the minority on this. But go be carefree. Do the traveling you want, now. Go see the places you might want to set roots down in. Stick around for a few days. Then move on to the next place.
Money can always be made somehow. Life works out like that. Enjoy being able to travel and see the states before you have any serious life issues(children) that require you to settle down.
Life is short and you dont want to get to the end and have that one regret....

I completely agree with bbqguy!
Go live in a van down by the river.
Travel.
Experience things.
I have a house,cars,wife,2.5 pets..i fantasize every day about getting in my Toyota motorhome and leaving it all behind.
Here's a story I tell people often-
My wife and I were walking down a trail last summer with the dogs down by the Clackamas river before work (I work swing)
I started hearing clanking and whistling..it grew louder and louder as we proceeded up the trail..finally we came upon a homeless dude, younger than myself,with a big bag of bottles and cans and a $hit eating grin on his face..not a care in the world,and here I was pissed off and hating life about having to go to a job I hate, to pay for a house in a city I hate.
Who is the real loser?
Enjoy life-stuff is just stuff and it's replaceable.
PM me if you might be interested in a 77 Dodge van for cheap:)

Travel.
Experience things.
I have a house,cars,wife,2.5 pets..i fantasize every day about getting in my Toyota motorhome and leaving it all behind.
Here's a story I tell people often-
My wife and I were walking down a trail last summer with the dogs down by the Clackamas river before work (I work swing)
I started hearing clanking and whistling..it grew louder and louder as we proceeded up the trail..finally we came upon a homeless dude, younger than myself,with a big bag of bottles and cans and a $hit eating grin on his face..not a care in the world,and here I was pissed off and hating life about having to go to a job I hate, to pay for a house in a city I hate.
Who is the real loser?
Enjoy life-stuff is just stuff and it's replaceable.

My life aint as bad as yours ;). But its awfully tempting to not make that last turn coming home when im on my motorcycle.
Luckily, my wife understands my desire to be on the road, riding my motorcycle. She is the one who keeps me grounded and i am grateful for that. And we do get a fair amount of traveling in, together.
But my wanderlust to be a vagabond on a motorcycle is strong, real f*****g strong. And to have the knowledge and wisdom that i do now but be young once again....

Travel.
Experience things.

Hey, I'm always interested in a Dodge van for cheap,...

if its a cargo van or a camper i MAY be interested, but not sure yet. we are still discussing this, and going to wait and see if the fiancee gets a job offer; if not, then I will be sending out updated resume`s out and see what happens.

I have an idea in mind after the recent camp trip to do a very much budget-minded stealth camper using a cargo van.... as I already have the following items;
two US Mil litters/stretchers, approx 7 ft long, coleman two-burner stove, coleman lantern, kerosene/white gas heater, propane buddy heater, extreme cold weather camping bags (down and synth both) , wool blankets, well honestly, we do have a LOT of bedding we can layer and use for winter sleeping in a vehicle...as well as winter clothing. We also have one of those picnic backpack sets, and a complete Aluminum cookware set, and an enamel cookware set; so all of these things could be utilized in the stealth camper.... as for organizing... tupperware tubs and Mounted Crewman Compartmentalized Equipment Bag, and USGI Kit Bags, and MOLLE/ ALICE rucksack bags...

the idea I have is basically either bolt up, or weld up a bracket system/industrial shelves in the cargo van to support both litters in a bunk bed format, so that we can also have a drop-down table for eating/art stuff...

Economy is growing in the Houston area. My dad lives in Tomball. They are griwing. Oil industry is big there - and if you can turn a wtench and know which end of a screw driver to hold you can start at $15 / hr. Houses cost 2/3 - half what they run here. 75 degrees on Christmas day couple years ago. Only horribly hot 2-3 months a year. Beats Oregon weather for sure :eek:

If it were not for my business here, and my business partners - I would have sold everything we owned last week and moved there already. Plenty of jobs for the motivated. Good schools. Good state government. Texas is where I reaally want to be right now, but its probably 5-6 years off at this point depending on my business growth, Oregons continued descent into the toilet, or if I somehow win the lotto.

Good luck to the OP on whatever decision you make! I understand wanting to exit Oregon! This state is so effing liberal and most of the people are horribly rude and just plain awful! I can't go anywhere in central oregon without running into californian's every time I turn a corner. And don't get me started on income tax, corporate tax, the governor, PERS or any other number of things I detest about this stupid state!
My wife and I are trying to relocate as well and I wish it were as easy to Just "pick up and move" but as you well know its anything but easy! I wish you the best and godspeed!

Having NOT read all the other answers, mine may not be what you want to see or agree with. Assuming you are quite still young, the first thing needed is that college education. This is very important. Get that degree in something useful.

I did NOT get my first BA degree until I was 28. Still driving a fire engine at that time. Classes were hard to schedule back then but I stuck with it. What I do not see with your dream is any meaningful way to support yourselves via education.

Have several back up plans in life? I had a couple. After leaving the American Fire Service I returned to school and got another BS in registered nursing. Served my very well. Very well indeed. A RN license gave me the mobility I needed.

All years ago. Being told what to do with life is something most young folks choose not to deal with. Education is the key. Without it your life will never be lived to your potential. Education equals income. Incomes determines your life.

Sorry if this disturbs you. Respectfully. I am 72. Someday you will be also, which is the point. :(

I'm 34. Graduated with an associates degree in machining 10 years ago right when the manufacturing took a severe downturn :confused: not as young as y'all think I am :rolleyes:
Been my experience that education didnt translate to income as quickly as i had first hoped.. especially when the very first thing employers see is that I'm deaf and decide they don't want to invest their time in communicating with me or in accommodating my communication needs... in fact a few has gone so far as actually questioning my ability to operate machines without hearing.. even though there is a degree saying that I can from the only technical institute for the Deaf in the world but thats bygones.

Anyways on topic. We are still discussing. Will be having a get together with my family and see what my parents think.. if they can help out a little bit; if they can contact their friends who lives in the States we are considering moving to... and go from there. In a way this is sort of like preemptive bugging out of Oregon :cool:

I like Idaho, but it's growing. Check out Wyoming. Cheap housing. Loaded state. Highly conservative. Education for your kIds is different there. I believe they help pay for your college degree some way.
I like Montana.
Both states have jobs in the mining industry for dudes with your schooling. Making $100,000 in that field isn't hard at all.

Last Edited:
Good luck to the OP on whatever decision you make! I understand wanting to exit Oregon! This state is so effing liberal and most of the people are horribly rude and just plain awful! I can't go anywhere in central oregon without running into californian's every time I turn a corner. And don't get me started on income tax, corporate tax, the governor, PERS or any other number of things I detest about this stupid state!
My wife and I are trying to relocate as well and I wish it were as easy to Just "pick up and move" but as you well know its anything but easy! I wish you the best and godspeed!

This is what some of my friends in Central Oregon are saying, some are staying put. For those of us on the west side currently, you have a bit of heaven over there. We bought property over there last year and are moving in about a year. I know you all think we are the problem coming over there, but we have 3 boys over there and grandkids too. We will still 2 kids and grandkids over west, but we can travel back to see them. Oregon has its problems, but we have to stay here.

Having NOT read all the other answers, mine may not be what you want to see or agree with. Assuming you are quite still young, the first thing needed is that college education. This is very important. Get that degree in something useful.

I did NOT get my first BA degree until I was 28. Still driving a fire engine at that time. Classes were hard to schedule back then but I stuck with it. What I do not see with your dream is any meaningful way to support yourselves via education.

Have several back up plans in life? I had a couple. After leaving the American Fire Service I returned to school and got another BS in registered nursing. Served my very well. Very well indeed. A RN license gave me the mobility I needed.

All years ago. Being told what to do with life is something most young folks choose not to deal with. Education is the key. Without it your life will never be lived to your potential. Education equals income. Incomes determines your life.

Sorry if this disturbs you. Respectfully. I am 72. Someday you will be also, which is the point. :(

Very good advice. I left OSU with 2 terms left on an ag engineering degree to be with my soon to be wife. Wanted to go back to finish the degree, she did not want to move for a year. Decided to go to commercial pilots school and get my ATP rating. She did not want me to fly commercially as it was too dangerous. Had a chance to be a full time firefighter, but she thought that was too dangerous and I would be gone 24 hours twice a week. So I drove a truck. Blah. She thought I did not make enough money doing that. The pilots gig would have paid 100K...So she became my ex wife.

Worked in equipment sales and service for a while and really found that the lack of a degree, a fing piece of paper was limiting my job potential. A fing piece of paper. So I started my own business and struggled for years. Got an AA in Business Administration and finally started doing better. The lack of a degree left a huge amount of money on the table for me over the years. You can be as dumb as a pile of rocks, but if you have a degree, your resume is going in the pile to be looked at.

All my kids have a college degree or 4 year journeyman certification. All make 70K to 100K per year in their early 30's. Wish I had been that smart, but maybe they listened to my tales of my f ups and how they affected my life.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top