JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, back in 1978 my local R&GC store in Wiesbaden was having a Labour Day sale, and I bought a Rockchucker, three sets of dies and the loading prep kit, plus the big green powder measure and the priming doo-dad, Plus a few handy, uh, hand-tools, like the primer pocket scraper wire brush and a unloading hammer. Best $300 I ever spent, since I'm still using every single bit of it. When we got back to Rheindahlen, Mrs tac gave me my best surprise - a set of RCBS 10-10 scales.

Still got that, as well.

I also have a Lee turret press set-up for my .357Mag pistol stuff - ready go.

Well, back in 1978 my local R&GC store in Wiesbaden was having a Labour Day sale ...

The durability of reloading stuff is legendary. The Hornady powder trickler I bought in 1995 is finally ready to be replaced although really, the only issue with it is that the O-ring which acts as a stop on the trickling tube gave up the ghost recently. I actually have a box of O-rings around here somewhere -- I should see if one fits.

I can't think of any reloading tool I have that has broken (this may not be as true for certain types of progressive presses, but I don't have any so don't know).

Well, not having a vast collection of guns like most of you, I make do with what I have by reloading at least two different loads for each calibre, depending on whether or not I'm shooting, or a noob is shooting, or even a guest on a guest day, who may never have shot ANYTHING in their lives before...

Soooooooooo, it's three different .45-70 Govt loads - a 300, 405 and 500gr bullet and powder to suit. I call them, respectively 'Oh', 'Ooh' and 'Ouch'.

Two different .308Win - one for the Krico and one for the K31-actioned 300m target rifle.

Two different 6.5x55 SE - one with original RN bullets and the other with later 139gr spitzers

Two different 7x57 - one for the model B Sporter, that can tolerate a spitzer-style bullet, and one for the carbine, that likes the flat-base bullet sent to me by fellow member here, James Hock. :s0116:

Two different 7.5x55 Swiss - 167gr in the K11 and 155gr in the K31.

Two different .357 Mag - one for short-range plinking in 158gr truncated conical lead, and one full-house 158gr JSP for longer range.

As Mike notes, changing over dies is not exactly a taxing job, and I'm happy to say that I don't need to sit down after doing it.

Well, not having a vast collection of guns like most of you, I make do with what I have by reloading at least two different loads for each calibre, depending on whether or not I'm shooting, or a noob is shooting, or even a guest on a guest day, who may never have shot ANYTHING in their lives before...

Soooooooooo, it's three different .45-70 Govt loads - a 300, 405 and 500gr bullet and powder to suit. I call them, respectively 'Oh', 'Ooh' and 'Ouch'.

Two different .308Win - one for the Krico and one for the K31-actioned 300m target rifle.

Two different 6.5x55 SE - one with original RN bullets and the other with later 139gr spitzers

Two different 7x57 - one for the model B Sporter, that can tolerate a spitzer-style bullet, and one for the carbine, that likes the flat-base bullet sent to me by fellow member here, James Hock. :s0116:

Two different 7.5x55 Swiss - 167gr in the K11 and 155gr in the K31.

Two different .357 Mag - one for short-range plinking in 158gr truncated conical lead, and one full-house 158gr JSP for longer range.

As Mike notes, changing over dies is not exactly a taxing job, and I'm happy to say that I don't need to sit down after doing it.
I find now that I'm thinking about reloading the idea of buying a gun with an uncommon cartridge starts to get very fun. These surplus guns I see pop up once in a while cheap are tempting, but then I think to myself.. man I don't want to have to try to find ammo for that thing. The idea of being able to load my own ammo for it is super sexy to me.

I find now that I'm thinking about reloading the idea of buying a gun with an uncommon cartridge starts to get very fun. These surplus guns I see pop up once in a while cheap are tempting, but then I think to myself.. man I don't want to have to try to find ammo for that thing. The idea of being able to load my own ammo for it is super sexy to me.

Well you know what? A 100 year old Swedish Mauser, 100 year old Lee Enfield, a classic 1940s M1 Garand...M1 Carbine, and many others that ammo is readily available for and then you have the brass to load.

If you want to get into that, go to some collector shows up there. Peruse Gun Broker. There's another rabbit hole for you look into. :s0155:

Yep,, I use almost always the 405 weight in an 1886 Carbine.
Normal loads in the ~1400 fps range are no big deal.
But with a healthy charge pushing over 1700 they'll "sting" your shoulder.
The 500s,, oh boy, they can put the hurt on you right quick,,.

In more modern firearms, every shop I go to seems to have lots of .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor ammo in stock. Don't know a lot about .243 , but there are a lot of guns available in 6.5 Creedmoor in the whole gamut of prices from a couple hundred up to a couple thousand dollars.

The world of slightly off-beat military surplus firearms is yours to discover. Starline Brass, US makers of the highest quality brass on the planet, make empties for just about every obsolete calibre you can think of, and there are some really good shooting examples of the less-common stuff out there for not too much money. I fancy an 1895 Steyr straight-pull, or even a Navy Lee - another straight-pull, and Starline make brass for them. Sadly, I also live in UK, where the local authorities don't really like that I already have nineteen guns, and do their best to make life difficult for folks like me.

After all, whoever heard of a stamp collector with just nineteen stamps?

The world of slightly off-beat military surplus firearms is yours to discover. Starline Brass, US makers of the highest quality brass on the planet, make empties for just about every obsolete calibre you can think of, and there are some really good shooting examples of the less-common stuff out there for not too much money. I fancy an 1895 Steyr straight-pull, or even a Navy Lee - another straight-pull, and Starline make brass for them. Sadly, I also live in UK, where the local authorities don't really like that I already have nineteen guns, and do their best to make life difficult for folks like me.

After all, whoever heard of a stamp collector with just nineteen stamps?
You have my condolences for your gun laws. You probably roll your eyes hearing about the stuff we complain about over here in the states. But yeah, I noticed the other day on palmetto state armory they're selling surplus carcanos for $250. Don't know anything about them or even if that's a good price but it got me thinking anyways. I will keep starline in mind when I do go that route. ;)

Yup, much-maligned and with a terrible legacy, a decent Carcano can make a surprisingly small set of holes on a target - there are a few of them here in UK. Here we have the HBSA - the Historical Breechloading Small Arms Association that gives you a good reason to have some odd stuff. If you look on my Youtube channel, tac's guns, you'll see some odd stuff getting action - Krags, Model 1871/84 Mausers, Sniders [another good American design that most Americans have overlooked] and many others.

Yup, much-maligned and with a terrible legacy, a decent Carcano can make a surprisingly small set of holes on a target - there are a few of them here in UK. Here we have the HBSA - the Historical Breechloading Small Arms Association that gives you a good reason to have some odd stuff. If you look on my Youtube channel, tac's guns, you'll see some odd stuff getting action - Krags, Model 1871/84 Mausers, Sniders [another good American design that most Americans have overlooked] and many others.
I've always wanted a Mauser. Probably going to be a while before I can afford another gun, though. I had almost everything I needed today except primers, and then got lucky and was able to order 5,000 small pistol primers off of bass pro shops. Was looking around for bullets and decided to look one last time at primers and BOOM they were available. I've been checking obsessively the last couple days at every site that comes up on google when you type in primers. I'm telling you I got an adrenaline rush checking out as fast as I could to make sure I got my order in before they disappeared. Hopefully they dont backorder me, that's happened before with bass pro shops.. things show available and then 2 days later you get a message saying you're backordered. Regardless, that got me so excited that I started buying more equipment. Bought an ultrasonic cleaner, a chronograph, a franklin armory digital scale. I'm going to take a trip to harbor freight for a tumbler, and cruise a couple local goodwills for a crappy wooden desk that I don't mind drilling holes into and I think I'll be set. I'm meeting up with a guy from the waguns forum on friday, he's going to hook me up with some 9mm brass to get started with.

I've always wanted a Mauser. Probably going to be a while before I can afford another gun, though. I had almost everything I needed today except primers, and then got lucky and was able to order 5,000 small pistol primers off of bass pro shops. Was looking around for bullets and decided to look one last time at primers and BOOM they were available. I've been checking obsessively the last couple days at every site that comes up on google when you type in primers. I'm telling you I got an adrenaline rush checking out as fast as I could to make sure I got my order in before they disappeared. Hopefully they dont backorder me, that's happened before with bass pro shops.. things show available and then 2 days later you get a message saying you're backordered. Regardless, that got me so excited that I started buying more equipment. Bought an ultrasonic cleaner, a chronograph, a franklin armory digital scale. I'm going to take a trip to harbor freight for a tumbler, and cruise a couple local goodwills for a crappy wooden desk that I don't mind drilling holes into and I think I'll be set. I'm meeting up with a guy from the waguns forum on friday, he's going to hook me up with some 9mm brass to get started with.

Oh, DUDE! you're goner. RE: Your loading table. Try checking out the places that sell ancient office, or school furniture for a table. Our place here in pdx is called "City liquidators". My table was something out of the '60s maybe. Made for two kids with two compartments for books and the top is at least an inch thick. Perfect for my small bedroom/computer/loading room. It cost me $14.95. It's short, but I use a rolling office chair for the computer and the loading table is against the other wall.

Oh, DUDE! you're goner. RE: Your loading table. Try checking out the places that sell ancient office, or school furniture for a table. Our place here in pdx is called "City liquidators". My table was something out of the '60s maybe. Made for two kids with two compartments for books and the top is at least an inch thick. Perfect for my small bedroom/computer/loading room. It cost me $14.95. It's short, but I use a rolling office chair for the computer and the loading table is against the other wall.
Heck yeah! That's the kind of deal I've had in my head. Up against the wall with a pegboard behind it! Will update with pics when I find something :):)

If you haven't all ready, check out the "Reloading Bench" picture thread.

My work area from that thread.

0b3a.jpg

Last Edited:

0b3a.jpg
You need more bubblegum piled up on that so mine doesn't look as bad!:eek::D

0b3a.jpg
Then bench is great. Still working on creating mine. Question for you. It looks like you have a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme and I'm considering getting one. If I'm not hallucinating and if you don't mind me asking what's your put on it?
P.S. I'm new to reloading rifle/pistol.

Then bench is great. Still working on creating mine. Question for you. It looks like you have a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme and I'm considering getting one. If I'm not hallucinating and if you don't mind me asking what's your put on it?
P.S. I'm new to reloading rifle/pistol.

Because I got that RCBS kit from BiMart, only kit they carried, I'm going to say "I like RCBS"! You'll talk to other guys here that'll say they love the Lee press...Because that's what they bought and have been using for a number of years. That's the way I see it anyway. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Lee is less money. Lee presses use steel strap like arms where RCBS uses heavy cast steel arms. Does it matter? :s0092: Maybe, maybe not. I'd think the presses will both work fine. You might ask the question of people who have used both sets? The heavier RCBS press might last 90 years and the lesser Lee only 80 years. :) I'd want to know how the scales, hand primers and powder throwers compare between the two? The RCBS powder thrower has TWO different drums, one for large rifle cases and one much better for handgun cases. If your doing both that's important. I know RCBS is great with customer service. Any thing goes wrong, your fault, their fault, nobodies fault, your covered and have the part in a few days. Most likely no charge.

Only rolling my own since 12/2011, but all the reading I've done I'm going to say the preference is starting with a single stage.

Hope that helps some?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads