Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking to get into recurve bows

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by Modeler, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Hi all,

My firearms collection is nearing terminal mass and I'm looking for a new challenge. I had a fiberglass recurve bow when I was a kid and I enjoyed shooting(?) it, as I recall I was fairly good. Now that I'm an adult with a nicely mowed field in which to play I'm thinking I might like one again.

So, where do I got to start? What do I get? Brands, models, etc? What kind of range can I get? I can pretty easily get up to a 75 yard clear shot here at home, is that too far for a recurve? I'm not looking to hunt, I'm just looking to have some fun in the backyard without disturbing the neighbors. Any thoughts?

2. Bodyguard

Bodyguard Portland Member 2016 Volunteer

Find your local bow shop and stop by and chat with the them. I just picked up a Bear Grizzly 50 lbs made in 1953 at a garage sale for $5.00. Really cheap price. Usually they go for around $75-150. A couple of years back I picked up a 40# long bow for $5 also. I set up a range in my back yard at 15 yards for these two bows and my Hoyt Ultra Tec. You can shoot a recurve a long ways, just start out short and work you way out. Watch craigslist and the local hoc shops. Have fun and good shooting!