JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to pickup my very first m1 garand. Funny thing is, I remember when I was younger that my Dad would always have his eye on buying a garand but told me he never pulled the trigger because they were too dirty and/or used. This was back when they were available for around $299 -- $399. With that said, I've always noticed how collectible they are but didn't understand the nostalgia and significance until recently. I would be honored to own such a piece of American history.

The one I am looking at is from CMP and is a service grade. My question is, how does the thread and muzzle rating system work? Could not find a clear answer online or on their website. Is it the lower the number the better? Am I doing alright going with CMP? Thanks in advance.

PS: I have also tried to find reasons not to have a garand but after learning about them I feel like having one is a must.:cool:

Last Edited:
Those numbers are erosion gauge numbers. So the lower the number, the less the throat or muzzle has eroded from firing and/or cleaning. For a shooter grade Garand, the service rifle from CMP will work out great. I also like their special grade if they have them available. Those are the ones they put their new stocks on.

Does the CMP still have them available? I picked one up a year or two back from the CMP, but thought I had heard the supply was running short. I believe the throat and muzzle rating system starts at 0 and goes up to indicate wear. The one I received was rated +2 or +3 for each measure. The lower the number, the better, from what I have been told.

Haven't had a chance to get mine out yet to the range, but looking forward to it. Actually was in pretty nice condition.

I would love to have one as well. I shot my buddies a few times, didn't know I could shoot that well with open sights. We were shooting torso sized steel targets at 2 and 300 yards and couldn't miss. Recoil was amazing, very controllable, especially for a 30-06. He completely restored his with his dad decades ago and it's in impeccable condition. He also worked up a load that I'm sure helps with the accuracy. Seems the prices on them are creeping up lately and I have had a lot of priorities lately but I'm hoping by the time I'm ready to add one to the heard they will settle back down.

Does the CMP still have them available? I picked one up a year or two back from the CMP, but thought I had heard the supply was running short. I believe the throat and muzzle rating system starts at 0 and goes up to indicate wear. The one I received was rated +2 or +3 for each measure. The lower the number, the better, from what I have been told.

Haven't had a chance to get mine out yet to the range, but looking forward to it. Actually was in pretty nice condition.
I agree getting one locally that was originally purchased from CMP. I looked at their website and indeed their stock is drying out.

CMP is the way to go if you don't mind buying a used gun sight unseen. I have been very happy with every one they have sent me. You better act fact fast though their supply is really dwindling. Unless the US Army gets more back from overseas and gives them to the CMP they are likely going to run out this year or early next.

Thank you. The one I'm looking at is rated 2+ and 2+. It has a CMP stock. God willing, I should be getting it Monday and I'll post pics.

Make sure you only use ammo that is compatible with the M1 Garand to avoid damaging your oprod. This can happen when using some of the commercial ammo that's out there.

you can buy an after market gas plug and avoid the risk or always shoot milsurp and commercial ammo made intentionally for the M1 Garand.

Make sure you only use ammo that is compatible with the M1 Garand to avoid damaging your oprod. This can happen when using some of the commercial ammo that's out there.

you can buy an after market gas plug and avoid the risk or always shoot milsurp and commercial ammo made intentionally for the M1 Garand.
Never thought of this, thank you. Do you have a recommendation of best place to buy the ammo?

CMP has ammo available last time I looked. Surplus and maybe some new production. I purchased a case of 500 rounds of new manufacture Privi from an online vendor last year for what seemed a reasonable price.

The garand you describe that you hope to acquire locally sounds pretty similar to the one I received from the CMP within the last couple years. New CMP stamped stock, metal was in pretty nice shape, and similar hang tag gauge readings. I think mine was a "Special" grade, one step above the Field grade, IIRC. Good luck with the acquisition!

Guess it depends on your perspective. My only experience with them was at AOCS where they were used by the DI's as instruments of physical and mental torture. Never even got to shoot the damn things. So yeah, a garand isn't on my wish list either, but absent my negative experience I can see where they would be an interesting item. (note: Rumor has it there may still be a few buried in the Rose Garden behind the old Batt buildings at Pensacola.)

A Garand is high on my Want List too. I have an M1A which is also a (modified) Garand receiver. That heavy metallic "chiiiing" you hear when you release the bolt always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Good luck in your search!
(Just don't buy the last CMP Garand before I do.) :mad:

I had one and sold it to a collector, then I went and bought a Springfield Socom 16 and never looked back. Watch this video on the two side by side.

Never thought of this, thank you. Do you have a recommendation of best place to buy the ammo?

The Privi that aasbra mentioned is supposed to be pretty good shooting in the M1. Keep looking on NWFA for Garand ammo. It comes up for sale in the classified section every few weeks. Keep in mind that if you do buy surplus ammo for the Garand stay away from the corrosive stuff if you can. Most ammo pre 1954 is corrosive and I would avoid shooting ammo produced in Pakistan, Korea and Iran no matter when it was manufactured for the Garand.

sgammo.com and Aim Suplus run a special on the Privi every once in awhile, but really, you just cannot beat the prices on the surplus ammo from CMP.

The Privi that aasbra mentioned is supposed to be pretty good shooting in the M1. Keep looking on NWFA for Garand ammo. It comes up for sale in the classified section every few weeks. Keep in mind that if you do buy surplus ammo for the Garand stay away from the corrosive stuff if you can. Most ammo pre 1954 is corrosive and I would avoid shooting ammo produced in Pakistan, Korea and Iran no matter when it was manufactured for the Garand.

sgammo.com and Aim Suplus run a special on the Privi every once in awhile, but really, you just cannot beat the prices on the surplus ammo from CMP.

Unless you bought thousands of rounds from the CMP years ago when it was dirt cheep? :rolleyes:

Doesn't it bother EVERYBODY that this is posted in the "bolt action" section ? :) I have 2 CMP rifles and have been very happy with both. Great shooters, and the condition they were in was much better than I anticipated.

Also, the Privi ammo is fantastic in the Garand. Cycles great and never had a single failure.