Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking to educate myself

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pamela143n, Jul 11, 2009.

1. pamela143n

pamela143n SE Portland, Oregon. Member

I was hoping that someone might want to take a couple minutes to help me understand the differences between the calibers. For example a .223 in comparison to a .22lr, or a .9mm and say a 30.06?

2. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Check out this link for basic information
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

3. 7.62 maniac

7.62 maniac Portland Member

4. pamela143n

pamela143n SE Portland, Oregon. Member

Thanks guys.... I have to say I have an attention span of a three year old when it comes to doing homework. I was hoping for a quick breakdown. I'll check these out.
    Wish me luck... (hopefully I don't get distracted!)

5. kj Plattner

kj Plattner Washington New Member

A .22 long rifle is generally a .224 inches in width.
    A .223 is usually a .224 these days.
    As far as power, the .22LR is a very nice 60-70 yard round for small game.
    The .223 as in an M15 or M16 is a very accurate 400 yard round for two legged game.
    Yes, both will shoot farther but I look at impact not range, so no hate mail, ok?

A 9mm is a fun handgun, small carbine round. Accurate shots have been made at 900 meters and the target was dispatched.
    A .30-06 is a rifle round like the .223 above only larger, heavier and deadly to twice the distance.

There are some wonderful resources on the web which discuss the internal and external ballistics of various rounds. When I am researching a new round I always start with Wikipedia and then Google...