JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smith and Wesson automatic out the front knife is about $36 on sale. Surprisingly smooth action and zero play when deployed. Only negative I have is that it's kinda bulky and heavy. Spear point is hard to find on flip open and that why I got this one due to the blade type.
If u want flip to open there r a lot more options with less bulk. Here is example of flip to open. Very fast and easy to open one handed. your finger flips the little knob on top when closed. I've seen for as low as $17 on sale. If you do a search on big5 sporting goods for "kershaw" it will show a lot of different options for similar knives.
29256722-8A40-46B5-B7ED-932905BFF81D.jpeg
88B7A217-B0B6-425F-94E0-CD2E829C1120.jpeg

Last Edited:
I think that amazon and ebay hold it against the seller of such things that are actually automatic, some get by, by saying Assisted, or OTF. I searched ebay for ganzo firebird G721 like I own, and they can be found shipped from China, and the pictures of them will have the buttons photo shopped out of them. But they are a coil spring button lock.
Also the ganzo g7361 is a coil spring button lock, and they are 440C stainless steel.
Or you could buy a Boker top lock, and a conversion kit from knifekits.com

What is legal in Oregon for automatic or switch blade type?

ORS 166.240¹

Carrying of concealed weapons

(1)Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
(2)Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005 (Definitions for ORS 133.005 to 133.400 and 133.410 to 133.450), whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040 §15]

So, can you carry an 8 inch fixed-blade knife concealed? Would that be called a dirk or dagger?

Byrd Cara Cara 2 - not assisted, but it is very easily flipped open with the thumb. They were on Amazon a few years ago for about $20, best budget cutter in my opinion.

You can even buy an switchblade from kershaw from bimart, just have to spend 80 to 100 bucks.
I have heard from those who sell switchblades at shows in Oregon that if you keep the pocket clip visible, it is not concealed. There seems to be support for open belt sheath carry being safer as not being considered concealed in Oregon, found here. https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/oregon/
Your mileage may vary, this may vary by which county judge you see, I am not a lawyer.

Edited, I could not find specific case law to support belt clip or pocket clip shown being a winning argument.

Last Edited:
You can even buy an switchblade from kershaw from bimart, just have to spend 80 to 100 bucks.
Case law in Oregon has shown that if you keep the pocket clip visible, it is not concealed.
Your mileage may vary, this may vary by which county judge you see, I am not a lawyer.
Yep It totally varies depending on where u are. If u r in Pdx for example and show u are part of antifa they will not charge you. For example reinhole was caught at a protest with illegal handgun but was not charged. Later he tried to steal a handgun from a legal carrier and was shot in the arm. Again, not charged. Then he obtained another handgun and murdered a trump supporter in cold blood.

You used to be able to find Firebird Ganzo auto knives for $20-$30 on the web. Great knives at a very fair price.

Found one on a random website.

Last Edited:
Boker makes some nice inexpensive auto knives. The Vespa line of OTF knives are very high quality for less than half of what you would pay for a Benchmade or Microtech.
Thanks
James

20200618_233225.jpg

I carry a SOG Flash II daily and like it quite a bit. I got it on Amazon for about $50 but it seems to no longer be available.
It is assisted opening, and after a few weeks of use it smoothed out so that it is easy to open one handed. It fits easily in my pocket using the clip, and the clip has held its shape well over time.
1605585046061.png

Me to Me: Do NOT look at this auto thread. Do NOT look! The holidays are just around the corner and you don't need to be spending money right now. DON'T LOOK! Heck, they're not legal to carry where you live and you could never take it out of the house! DON'T LOOK!

On the other hand, they would make a really cool letter opener.

Doh! :rolleyes:

IANAL, but remember that "assisted opening" is not the same as auto. The SOG I carry does not open automatically. You have to push the blade out a bit like a standard pocket knife, but once it hits the tipping point in the swing it opens automatically. It actually takes a bit more pressure to open until it hits the sweet spot, so it is not considered "automatic".

Assisted openers like those from Kershaw are usually faster "from-pocket-to-open" than autos, IME. More practical but less interesting/cool.

Assisted openers like those from Kershaw are usually faster "from-pocket-to-open" than autos, IME. More practical but less interesting/cool.
I mostly agree with this but can't speak to expensive automatics like benchmade or similar. For me the flip out ones are more practical due to being thinner and less heavy primarily. Thinner and smoother would get out of a pocket easier. Speed wise I would guess about the same if you practice with it probably and depending on how u carry it.

also to update the s&w one in the video above (video is an older version), the newer generation one has a different safety, different unlock-when-open lever (more streamline, does not stick out like on video) and different slide/close lever. The body appears to be more flat and less curvy too but I'm not sure on that. I heard that the 2018 version is the 10th generation of that knife but don't know if that's accurate. lock release lever:
7F8DBCD7-485A-427E-B6FE-78E9C025768F.jpeg Safety and slide lever and body shape for
2018 version: 043A2229-4439-44F1-9043-34710A8A8F9D.jpeg
That black amazon spear point one looks interesting for similar price. Don't know anything about it though except looks thinner, apparently 440c steel, and blade apparently a bit longer.

also one weird "benefit?" of the s&w one is u can open it more silently if u want by using the slide lever to slow the blade down when releasing. I could see it helpful maybe if hunting and u don't want that snap of the blade noise. Flip open is quiet all the time really.

Last Edited:
I stand corrected, I had heard by word of mouth from those who sell switchblades at the gun and knife shows even from a sheriffs deputy who was buying his lunch at the time, that the pocket clip visible was enough and that cases had shown this, but I cant find any support with google.

I only find from, https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/oregon/

Support for knives in belt sheath worn openly as not being concealed.

Did want to buy an auto or spring assisted, but remaining lawful is critical. I will look at some of the other folder types, maybe centrifical force types. Ideas? There are a few above. Thanks.....

Or maybe sheath type with less than a 4" blade for the pocket?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top