JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently live on the west side of the mountains in Washington, but frequent the east side for sun, camping and sometimes shooting. Increasingly I dream of owning, renting or sharing some land out east for recreation. I don't intend to live on the property, but would love to shoot, hunt (and allow others to as well), camp etc on it. Possibly someday build a tiny little cabin with some solar panels on it at best, but not a primary concern at this point.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys with land already (or experience shooting on open land) can help with.

Currently I'm looking at somewhere around 40-80 acres of land. 40 is what I guestimated would be the smallest square plot of land I could get away with for shooting in most areas, as I figure if it's a square plot, that'd give me 1/4 mile on each side. That's not a lot of range, maybe 400 yards, 200-300 realistically, but it opens up some fun anyway.

Would others agree with that acreage or is that too small / going to put me too close to others? Clearly I'd try for some natural boundaries like butting up against a mountain and such to help facilitate that.

Additionally, do people do any land rentals / leasing / property share deals for like minded people? I wouldn't even know how to start that search other than word of mouth. I've tried for about a year now to find someone with a nice plot of land out east but so far have only gotten a few invites for people with 1-10 acres that just don't work well for this type of recreation.

If I have to buy, I'm looking to spend less than $150k if possible, and there seems to be some options out there around 40-55 acres for land that looks a bit useless for anything other than what I'm talking about. What have others done?

Thanks for any info!

Liquidsys,
I am also looking to accomplish the same goal in the next few years. While I don't have the funds to buy a property now, I will in the future. It sounds like you have come across some of the same resources locating the properties that I have (Zillow and Landwatch). Personally I like Zillow because I can do a satellite map and road map right from the listing.

I currently live in NC but I will be moving back there in July. I like the idea of having a place that I can go to and know that I can spend some time there in a permanent structure and just recreate. I think that 40-50 acres is enough especially if you can find it in a rectangle shape instead of a square. If one is motivated enough you could probably do it in less space but you would have to make berms of some sort to contain your shots.

I don't know where to look for land sharing. I have learned while living in NC that a lot of land is private land and it is hard to find good hunting spots unless you have family or friends with farms or a hunting lease. Around here the hunting leases allow recreating during the non hunting seasons on portions of the property. That might be a place to start for land sharing.

I also wonder if it would be better to own a smaller plot of land 5-10 acres with a permanent small cabin that is really close to open public land so if you want to shoot long range you could make a trip there on a 4wheeler or hoof it in if you are really close. You could shoot handguns on 5-10acres with a berm.

Have you talked to any real estate agents?

I really enjoy going over to the hwy 12 area and scouting for long range areas on public land. Hiking in the woods is something I enjoy and throw a rifle in the eberlestock pack and it is even better.

Let me know how your search goes!

-Joey

I currently live on the west side of the mountains in Washington, but frequent the east side for sun, camping and sometimes shooting. Increasingly I dream of owning, renting or sharing some land out east for recreation. I don't intend to live on the property, but would love to shoot, hunt (and allow others to as well), camp etc on it. Possibly someday build a tiny little cabin with some solar panels on it at best, but not a primary concern at this point.

Thanks for any info!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top