JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well after weeks of racking my brain trying to figure out what model of 45 I wanted, I did it. For a month I have been looking at a couple of kimber at bi-mart. One a custom 2 lw 45 and a custom 2 1911 GFO, 10mm. I didn't like the alloy frame on the lw so I bought the 10mm. I did some reading on the 10mm and thought it would be a good caliber. I guess it is a 2019 shot show special, probably means only 2 million was made versus 4 million.lol.anyway I hope it don't have ftf problems like I have read. Will find out when i pick it up.that is a stock photo

View attachment 684301
Make sure to dissemble it and clean out the factory oil and clean it completely! lube it lightly an use a light grease on the barrel bushing, and you should be good to go! My experience with Kimber, especially in 10mm is that you will want to make sure the breach face is free of paint or ceracoat, and is smooth and free of tool marks, and you will be just fine!

Thoughts on a Remington R1?
I have an R1E and SR1911 (10mm) in Govt size. Have an ATI in Officer's size, and a Kimber custom in Commander size.
The quality of fit, finish and the flawless functioning of the R1E, Kimber and SR1911 are all equal. The ATI is a beater, but functions flawlessly.
I've shot a friend's Dan Wesson, Les Baer and STI 1911's. No idea what models, but there is no comparison between mine and his stable of Rolls Royce 1911's.

1911s are the cats meow. Get a 9mm and you thank me later. I have 3 in 45acp but my first came to me in 1971. I would look into spending at least $1000.00 even if you have to save up a bit . It would be well worth it in the long run

There's definitely a lot out there to choose from. I would look at Rock Island Armory. Very high quality out of the box for not a lot of $$. When it comes to 1911's, everyone makes one and everyone has an opinion on theirs. I don't own an RIA 1911, but if I was going to buy my first, that's where I would probably go if on a budget. I doubt that you would be disappointed.

THIS !
i did this before buying a high end 1911.
the RIA i bought was great , no malfunctions and accurate.

Thoughts on a Remington R1?
I own an R1S Enhanced in 45 acp. It is the nicest pistol I've ever owned. Solid and smooth right out of the box and never a jam or FTF. Trigger is nice. Takes any kind of ammo without complaints. Most importantly, I'm accurate as hell with it.
GunInv2016-1911-4.jpg

I purchased a Para Elite Commander before they were bought out by Remington, and it's my carry 1911. Paid around $600 for it new, with incentives and a dealer discount. I have the R1 as well, a bargain pistol, and it shoots flawlessly. Aside from a few vintage military pistols, there is a Colt Gold Cup in the mix as well. The ATI and RIA pistols that I have shot all worked well and were accurate enough, but I can't attest to the long term reliability or parts interchangeability / availability for repairs.

There's definitely a lot out there to choose from. I would look at Rock Island Armory. Very high quality out of the box for not a lot of $$. When it comes to 1911's, everyone makes one and everyone has an opinion on theirs. I don't own an RIA 1911, but if I was going to buy my first, that's where I would probably go if on a budget. I doubt that you would be disappointed.
My first 1911 was an RIA mil-spec. I placed a Brownells order and stuffed it full of Wilson goodies and had a blast! Then I got a Kimber in 45 and a S.A. TRP RMR in 10mm which is my new favorite. The Kimber just sits in the safe.

I have a Kimber Eclipse in 10mm.

One thing to note about Kimbers in 10mm, they use an 18.5 lb recoil spring. I found that shooting 10mm rounds that were closer to full power would make the slide cycle very fast, causing much more felt recoil and sending my brass flying into the next county.

I've since changed the recoil spring in my Kimber Eclipse to a 22 lb Wolff spring, which has made it shoot much better. The recoil now feels more on par with my Glock 20, and spent casings eject more consistently.

Something to consider if you experience the same thing I did when you first shoot your 10mm Kimber.

I have a Kimber Eclipse in 10mm.

One thing to note about Kimbers in 10mm, they use an 18.5 lb recoil spring. I found that shooting 10mm rounds that were closer to full power would make the slide cycle very fast, causing much more felt recoil and sending my brass flying into the next county.

I've since changed the recoil spring in my Kimber Eclipse to a 22 lb Wolff spring, which has made it shoot much better. The recoil now feels more on par with my Glock 20, and spent casings eject more consistently.

Something to consider if you experience the same thing I did when you first shoot your 10mm Kimber.
My 5.25 XDM10 shoots softer, to me, than my 4.5 XDM10, so I put a 22# spring in the 4.5, I need to shoot that one more to really confirm a difference. I think slide length has something to do with it..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top