JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DONT! If you cant take your 22 rimfire can apart to clean then its not worth the $200 tax stamp. I dont know who is telling you to buy the Aviator or where you read that its a great can, but its not. Sure its quiet, but it has a limited life as its a sealed unit like the Gemtech Outback and many others. The best 22 can on the market today is the SilencerCo Stainless Steel Sparrow. Other good models are the SWR Spectre, AAC Element, Prodigy, and Gemtech Alpine. If you cant find a Sparrow then the Spectre is a great all steel can for dipping in cleaning solvents. Aluminum cans are hard to clean as anything that removes lead build-up on baffles also eats aluminum, so go steel if you can. The 22 rimfire is a filthy cartridge and if there is ever a need to clean a silencer its definitely the 22 cans.:)

DONT! If you cant take your 22 rimfire can apart to clean then its not worth the $200 tax stamp. I dont know who is telling you to buy the Aviator or where you read that its a great can, but its not. Sure its quiet, but it has a limited life as its a sealed unit like the Gemtech Outback and many others. The best 22 can on the market today is the SilencerCo Stainless Steel Sparrow. Other good models are the SWR Spectre, AAC Element, Prodigy, and Gemtech Alpine. If you cant find a Sparrow then the Spectre is a great all steel can for dipping in cleaning solvents. Aluminum cans are hard to clean as anything that removes lead build-up on baffles also eats aluminum, so go steel if you can. The 22 rimfire is a filthy cartridge and if there is ever a need to clean a silencer its definitely the 22 cans.:)

This is one train of thought but, I have to disagree. I know of a SOT that has over 35,000 rounds through a Aviator with no problems. If you check with the manufactures more 22 can are sent in for service for being cross treaded by the end user than baffle strikes.

This is one train of thought but, I have to disagree. I know of a SOT that has over 35,000 rounds through a Aviator with no problems. If you check with the manufactures more 22 can are sent in for service for being cross treaded by the end user than baffle strikes.

But the problem is, eventually it will fill up with lead. At some point, it will have to be cleaned by the manufacturer. If the outer tube is damaged during the cleaning process. You will be paying for another tax stamp on the suppressor. Gemtax,,,

That is the main reason take-aparts are better. Unless you have a low firing schedule, or get a sealed can that can withstand the dip. Then it may not be an issue. :winkkiss:

Simply, the Gemtax came about when the ratish behavior of AAC was taking apart Gemtech silencers of customers and modifying them, usually changing baffles, and stamping AAC on the Gemtech cans. SO, Gemtech, being the big babies they are petitioned the ATF and basically requested a ruling that the serialized tube cannot be replaced or modified in any way. In the past the maker could replace your outer tube if damaged. Thanks to Gemtax now you must buy a whole new silencer and pay a new $200 tax stamp:(. VonBoyd, In case your gonna be firm on the decision due to some close influence and get an Aviator be warned, AAC, generally speaking, will not service your sealed can when its loadup up with lead. Other customers have mentioned they no longer service/clean even their own cans. Apparently they have better things to do than deal with that pesky customer service issue:s0112:. Take from those of us that have been burned by a sealed can and buy a user friendly unit. If ya really want a sealed can then get a Germtech Outback, at least they believe in customer service, but you'll have to pay them $150 to replace the leaded up baffles and cleaning:(. What ever you do, take more advice from customers with experience and not class 3 dealers pushing their inventory.

What ever you do, take more advice from customers with experience and not class 3 dealers pushing their inventory.

Some dealers actually want to make sure there customers are happy with their purchase so they come back to buy more then to push inventory.

most class 3 dealer also usually have more experience with more products then the average consumer. so they are a good source of information and advice.

I'm looking at an Aviator right now too. Quiet and light are endearing qualities and for that you can't beat sealed aluminum. Ther's a big difference between 4oz (Aviator) and 4.7oz (Sparrow) on the end of a light pistol. I have a Spectre because I was swayed by arguements like slientslammer makes. I like my Spectre a lot.

I just took my Spectre apart after 7000 rounds. It was HARD to get apart. I was worried I might mess up the tube myself. There isn't a lot to the thread on the tube. Newer can styles make this a moot point, I'll admit. The thing is that what I cleaned out of it wasn't worth taking it apart for. You can shoot a LOT of rounds through a can before you clog it up. You might shoot this can for 10 or more years. When you do clog it up you CAN have it cleaned or, more than likely you'll have your eye on another can. New stuff is coming out all the time. New materials. Better. Lighter. What's going to be avaliable 10 years from now. :s0155:

Just out of curiosity - if you are going to buy a can for a 22 why wouldn't you buy one meant for .223? I can see if you are buying one for a pistol but if its going to be used on a rifle I think I would lean toward one that can take .223 - dual use. have your 22 threaded in 1/2x28 so it matches up with the AR pattern and you have a multi-platform can with one tax stamp. I would also lean toward a can that can be taken apart for cleaning.

sweedyk, the lightest .223 cans are about 16oz/1lb. Its generally not a good idea to load up your .223 can with the lead that comes off 22 rimfire ammo and builds up in a silencer. It will work and I considered it, but its a sound decision to get 2 specific cans instead of 1 all around, unless of course you shoot very little.

I can see having separate cans if weight is a concern or if you plan on leaving them in place on the weapons - I would still lean toward a can that can be disassembled for cleaning - drop the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner or solvent tank, reassemble and your good to go vs having to send it back to the factory for a rebuild/cleaning at costs to you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top