JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for something to use in 3 gun matches at least to start off with. it is first time and I am not sure what to get. I do not want to spend a ton of $ on it but do not want to waste my $ either. any suggestions in model and type for this ? any help is appreciated thanks guys.

yeah the mossberg 930 is a good way to go. I have a order in at Keiths for a Moss 930 JM model for 579 it is mostly setup for a 3gun. hey if jerry miculek uses it for 3 gun it cant be all that bad.

the Remington 870 is a good option to. With the flexible and wide variety of options you can do a lot with it. If you have the money, about 850.00, Bernellie has one setup for 3 gun/multi gun matches.

Pumps are great but you will get slaughtered in a oregon 3gun match. Most of the 3gun is open or limited tac so everyone is using semi auto shot guns. If your just trying it out you can try using a rem 870 or a moss 500 but you wont place well. The Mossberg 930 prob the lowest priced semi-auto you can find thats worth anything. The Benelli M2 and M4 are the game standards, but you are going to be looking at around 2K for a full 3gun shotty setup in a Benelli.

rem 870 pump $400-500
moss 500 pump $300-400
Moss 930 semi-auto $580-700
Benelli M2-M4 semi-auto $1500-3000

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a Mossberg 590 20" 8+1 with ghost ring sights I picked up used for $300. I figure I'll try it out and if I get into it, I'll sell it and buy a 930. Probably the 930jm.

A stoeger M3000 is also a reasonably priced shotgun that can easily be used in 3-gun. And I got to disagree with the whole " you'd get slaughtered with a pump" stuff. I know some guys that run pumps faster than normal people run a semi auto. I hate to brag, but when i was 12 i could outshoot semis with a pump gun. Also, Along with open and tactical optics, there is also heavy metal division, where you use a pump 12 gauge, 45 pistol, and a 308 rifle.

A stoeger M3000 is also a reasonably priced shotgun that can easily be used in 3-gun. And I got to disagree with the whole " you'd get slaughtered with a pump" stuff. I know some guys that run pumps faster than normal people run a semi auto. I hate to brag, but when i was 12 i could outshoot semis with a pump gun. Also, Along with open and tactical optics, there is also heavy metal division, where you use a pump 12 gauge, 45 pistol, and a 308 rifle.

I'm sure you're or were fast with a pump. But how many people are faster shooting a pump than a semi auto? I'm fast with a pump, but I'm quicker with a semi auto. The recoil is softer, making it easier to stay on target. You aren't moving one of the arms that is steadying and aiming the gun. Now if we are just talking about shooting, having a good time, and trying out 3 gun. Then I think a pump is just fine. But for ultimate speed, a semi auto is required.

Yes, as you said we are talking about trying out 3-gun. Using a pump is a low budget way to get into three gun. Get the cheapest set up you can that will work for you, shoot some matches to see if you actually like it, then start practicing and spending your money on gear to make you faster. Also, odds are that few people will go to a 3-gun match planning to go as fast as possible. But just buying better gear will not make you shoot faster. As every shooter that places high in 3-gun knows, practice is the key to going fast. Just buying a semi auto won't make you go fast.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top