JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow this thread went off-topic fast. I think you scared away the OP. Poor brewbrew04.

OP - for what you've described, a DelTon, Ortwein, Mega, DoubleStar, Olympic, Stag, Armalite, S&W, Bushmaster, Stag, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc. will all function for fun plinking. If you want to spend the money on the BCM, DD, Colt, Noveske, LMT, etc. great. But what you've described you don't need it.

If I wanted a .22LR Semi rifle, would I go get a Volquartzen? Or would you recommend I get a Marlin, Savage, Remington, or Ruger 10/22? Nope, I don't need to compete with it. I just want to go plink, and anything can plink.

OP- Honestly whats your budget look like?

I have owned Colts and Daniel Defense rifles and I will be the first to admit that the Daniel Defense M4 sitting right next to my Colt LE6940 and broken down, looking at piece by piece is a better quality rifle IMO. I am not a Daniel Defense fanboy what so ever. Infact I have always owned Colts when it comes to AR15s. That doesnt mean that Colt are the best or Daniel Defense.
I have been on active duty over 12 years and must say milspec isnt a must but its what I am used too...

If I had to choose a "Top 4" list it would be in no official order:

Noveske
Colt
Daniel Defense
BCM

You will be happy with any one of these.. Thats a fact!

Good luck in your search.

CMMG, DPMS, Stag & DSA all make good rifles that are reasonably priced. However, if you want excellent resale buy a LE Colt (6920 or 6940). I have LMT, CMMG, COLT, Spikes & DPMS rifles & carbines and they all work great. It is really hard not to get swept up into the "chart/milspec" argument. I don't know about you, but I don't need milspec anymore (8 yrs active duty), just a good quality rifle. There are plenty of good rifles out there at very reasonable prices. If you want to save some money build your own rifle (simply pushing pins...lol); a complete lower and upper will save you at least 10% over a complete gun (federal excise tax).

I built a nice M4 type carbine for under $700
DSA upper (complete) - $400 delivered
DMPS complete lower - $250 (PDX Gunshow)
MaTech BUIS - $50 (eBay)

I carried a Colt every single day in the service as a Vietnam-era Military Policeman. I am a Colt collector. When I decided it was time to purchase an AR, I wanted a Colt. My purpose was for a lightweight Coyote rifle that I could strap on my back, with a specific requirement for accuracy.

I researched them all for a year and a half, and what I decided on was a DPMS AP4. (Based on cost savings, reputation, and personal consultaion with FBI and Delta Force people which included range time with them). I proudly own an FBI ball cap won on a bet that day.

This rifle shot cheapie Federal FMJ ammo into 1 1/2 inch right out of the box, (factory iron sights at 100yards off the bench) and literally blew me away with this result. Fed a diet of a good handload, and scoped with a Leupold Ultralight 3x-9x, and a Timney trigger installed, it now groups easily and without exception under one inch.

I have tried everything I know to make it fail. It has not.

I will instantly defer to and respect the opinions of those who've posted here, and have much more experience with a variety of AR's , but for my purposes and with my results, I cannot forsee regretting my choice.

No reason to regret your choice. Like I've been trying to get across, most will work. The top four lists people have been posting are pretty good guns to be sure. I would also add Next Generation Arms to the list. Excellent guns, and local to boot.

But if the guns on these top four lists aren't in your budget, don't worry. The guns from J&T/Doublestar, DPMS, etc. all work well too.

Accuracy with irons, our Olympic Arms ARs, as a reference

My Olympic Arms Ultramatch is 1 MOA (UM w-irons, special build, has a scope mounted now)

My Olympic Arms A2 with SS Marine style heavy barrel is 1.5 MOA

My wife's Olympic Arms CAR 15 with fluted heavy barrel.. 2.5 MOA

With mil surplus SS109, that's all we use. So far zero issues with any of them

With a quick search you can find a COLT LE6920 shipped to your dealer for under 1000 bucks. Its a base model with all the good (important) parts. I just bought a COLT LE6920 SOCOM (it has some nice upgrades) NIB for a little over 1300. With some of the sub 1000$ you dont get the quality that is available for the same money. Also remember those after market upgrades add up quick. I am a COLT fan yes, but why pay 825$ for junk when you can own a COLT for 950/1000. Do your own research, pick what works for you. Just giving you some food for thought. The AR/M4 is a great platform you will have a Ton-O-FUN.

I've had great out of the box results with Rock River Arms AR rifles. Not the cheapest AR available but far from the most expensive.
Very well machined lower and upper parts with factory tuned trigger groups from what I've seen so far. $800 to $1200 new without optics is pretty standard.
The Rock River Pedator Persuit I bought consistanty groups 3" at 200 yds off a cheap bipod with Lake City ammo. Shoots better than I can.

What the 2 year zombie bump??? People need to be checking when threads are from before bumping them up. Like the 30 on this same topic that are at least only from last month.

With a quick search you can find a COLT LE6920 shipped to your dealer for under 1000 bucks. Its a base model with all the good (important) parts. I just bought a COLT LE6920 SOCOM (it has some nice upgrades) NIB for a little over 1300. With some of the sub 1000$ you dont get the quality that is available for the same money. Also remember those after market upgrades add up quick. I am a COLT fan yes, but why pay 825$ for junk when you can own a COLT for 950/1000. Do your own research, pick what works for you. Just giving you some food for thought. The AR/M4 is a great platform you will have a Ton-O-FUN.

I've had great out of the box results with Rock River Arms AR rifles. Not the cheapest AR available but far from the most expensive.
Very well machined lower and upper parts with factory tuned trigger groups from what I've seen so far. $800 to $1200 new without optics is pretty standard.
The Rock River Pedator Persuit I bought consistanty groups 3" at 200 yds off a cheap bipod with Lake City ammo. Shoots better than I can.

But since the thread is up- for that coin you can find a new LMT or a used LMT MRP- which I would take either ANY DAY over an RRA. Let's see by subpar, cut corner product. Or go with a proven manufacturer that holds to some of the highest standards. RRA for $5-6ish, maybe. But LMT for less, or even a little more and it's an easy choice.

But since the thread is up- for that coin you can find a new LMT or a used LMT MRP- which I would take either ANY DAY over an RRA. Let's see by subpar, cut corner product. Or go with a proven manufacturer that holds to some of the highest standards. RRA for $5-6ish, maybe. But LMT for less, or even a little more and it's an easy choice.

Yea that was my bad. Looked at the date after i hit SUBMIT. I just picked up my new SOCOM. Wanted to brag a little without really bragging. Sorry Yall. I got caught up in the moment.

thread_necro_super_super.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I ain't been here for a month but holy crap, could ya'll cut a guy some slack. I fessed up to the bad bump and said i was sorry at least twice. For real guys i promise to look at the date before i post from now on.

I ain't been here for a month but holy crap, could ya'll cut a guy some slack. I fessed up to the bad bump and said i was sorry at least twice. For real guys i promise to look at the date before i post from now on.

Men in groups will always seek to rib anyone they can, hard, and especially new guys. Don't take it personal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top