JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone have one? I'm trying to take out the old rear sight with a punch and it is a no go, even tried heating it up. Just don't want to fork over a hundred or more dollars for something I'll only use once, you know?

Normal sight pushers will not remove standard rear sights from an XD. They really only help when installing new sights. Springer(actually most likely the folks in Croatia) install the sights with a hydraulic press! This is similar to how most 1911s are done. They don't want them coming loose. :huh:

You'll need to go to a machinist and have them grind the middle of the rear sight, fold it in and remove it. I had to have that done with my Kimber rear sight as I hammered and hammered on it! Most of my FFL/SOT friends will not touch XD's unless they come to them with the stock sights removed. Same goes for me. If I'm asked to refinish and XD slide, the only ways I will do the work is if the stock sights are first removed or, if the customer is ok with having the stock sights refinished too.

If you go to a good gunsmith, they can cut out the rear sight and install your new ones and get it close to zero for $50 or so. Sounds like a lot, but trust me, it's better than buggering up your gun!

That sucks, wonder why they put them in like that. Oh, well.

Fast, easy, cheap and they stay put, unlike sights with set screws. Night sights and such are much more popular in the States then over seas. The XD(HS2000) was designed as a combat pistol and usually they don't get upgraded sights for the grunts.

I used to work on cars and it's the same thing. Manufacturers are looking for ease of assembly, cheap assembly, durability and things of this nature. While they consider the end user, they usually think the design is all it needs to be. Look at one of my favorite makers' Glock "Perfection". :D

Don't give up on the idea, give some gun smiths and machine shops a call to get a quote. I think it will be cheaper than you expect if you bring the slide all stripped of the barrel and recoil assembly.

They could probably help install your new sights, too. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top