JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good luck. We saw six grouse yesterday while out bow hunting for deer and elk. Interestingly, every single one was by itself. Most of the grouse we've previously seen this year were in groups of two to four.
Good to know! I've only ever seen them by themselves, but if I do see some today I'll have to remember it might have friends nearby.

Grouse in my neck of the woods....
Usually travel in pairs....although last weekend....I saw a group of 4 together.
Andy
Over in eastern Oregon I've been putting the stalk on elk only to have a grouse flush - then another - and another - and another ... Yeah, elk are too smart for that. They know what's up and the stalk is over. Other than that, I really do love grouse. :D

On the west side, I would say two is the most common I see. Except in the Spring when you might see momma with a bunch of young 'uns.

Good to know! I've only ever seen them by themselves, but if I do see some today I'll have to remember it might have friends nearby.
Definitely keep your eyes open if you flush one. Last weekend while elk hunting, my son and I were making our way toward some timber and crossing some grasslands with small brush. A grouse flushed and I told my son to nock an arrow (he carries two arrows with used broadheads just for grouse and three arrows with new broadheads for deer and elk). He did and eased forward. There were two more "explosions". Unfortunately, he couldn't get a shot at either. The grass was a little long so he didn't see them before they took off. If he'd had a shotgun instead of a bow, he likely would've bagged one - maybe even two.

I have been out a few time in Oregon this year. Not sure if time will allow me to get out on the Washington side of the river much. Seen a few grouse, both blues and ruff. So much of the area down around the house had burned in the last few years, my "go to" areas are all gone. Once fire danger goes down, I am looking forward to getting over toward the coast. There are some private timberlands West of home which have always been enjoyable to walk. I no longer have a "bird dog" to walk with me. My Border Collie is a good woods companion, but I had better see the birds before her. She still has not learned to not chase them when she sees them.

Well no luck bagging any, but I did flush a few, and a covey of quail, yesterday. That's more that I can say about my other trips, so it's a step in the right direction!

Now I just need to get better at finding them after they flee to the trees.

Is there a particular method that's best for getting on a bird after it's flushed? What I noticed was that usually I was driving, the bird would take off to the trees while it was still 50yd or so ahead of the car. I'd stop, get out and walk in closer, and the grouse would take off again from the tree I knew it was in and head in deeper into the woods where I could no longer see it. Makes me wonder, is it better to keep driving after it flushes, wait a while, and it might come back to the road?

Stop, get out of the car, walk off the road a legal distance and shoot them in the head with your scoped 22 rifle.
If they were on the road, I can see how that would work. Generally I'm seeing them only after they flush to the trees. Shooting a 22 into the air seems reckless and unsafe to me, even if I hit the bird. I've been taking my 12 ga, and that's what I intend to keep using. My 10/22 isn't set up with a scope at the moment as the holes for the scope base have stripped out.

Last Edited:
Stop, get out of the car, walk off the road a legal distance and shoot them in the head with your scoped 22 rifle.
...and you can use the scope to find the bird, because I bet there's been times when you couldn't find the bird because its been hiding in the shadow of the tree right in front of you.

If they were on the road, I can see how that would work. Generally I'm seeing them only after they flush to the trees. Shooting a 22 into the air seems reckless and unsafe to me, even if I hit the bird. I've been taking my 12 ga, and that's what I intend to keep using. My 10/22 isn't set up with a scope at the moment as the holes for the scope base have stripped out.
Carry a small pair of binoculars with you. It will help you find the bird up in the tree.
Another thing you can do is leave the truck out by the highway and just walk the whole area.
You'll be able to react to the bird quicker if you don't have to work around the truck every time you flush one.

I head shoot them with my iron sighted Browning Buckmark. I either gett'em or we both get on with our day. You could body shoot them with the 10-22 just fine as well. It'll still do less damage the a full load of 12 ga shot.

You could body shoot them with the 10-22 just fine as well. It'll still do less damage the a full load of 12 ga shot.
And you don't have to pick the bb's out of the breast. :s0115: (or chomp down on them while eating - ouch)

Honestly, I've used a 10/22 with scope, a Mark IV 22/45 Lite with a reflex sight, a Colt .22 pistol with iron sights and a 20 gauge Remington 870 youth model. My "go to" is the Remy, but it does make cleaning a little slower and more meticulous. I'm a little old 🧓 for the youth model (it's my wife's) but it nice and short and quick handling.

Got my first grouse today! Decided that this year was going to be the year that I was going to try it out.

95A8706C-3C7B-46B7-814E-5B3751D4DA32.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top