JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually it would be third best. Second best would be sautéed Dungeness crab and scallions over steak. Numero Uno would be the combination of 2 and 3. 😋
No no, my friend. Chanterelle mushrooms and maybe a little butter saute.
When you do it right, perfection.
I use Scallions in my omelettes.

So, now the corner of the freezer is jammed with grouse.... the faithful home standby recipies have played out... and not quite sure what to do with them next....

Anyone have any kinda unique killer or creative recipies to share? Once the grouse itch is scratched it's time to experiment! :s0155:

So, now the corner of the freezer is jammed with grouse.... the faithful home standby recipies have played out... and not quite sure what to do with them next....

Anyone have any kinda unique killer or creative recipies to share? Once the grouse itch is scratched it's time to experiment! :s0155:
I like Uncle Bens Wild rice and lay the grouse breasts on top of the rice while cooking to steam cook the breasts. Top with Chantrelle Mushroom Gravy.

I like Uncle Bens Wild rice and lay the grouse breasts on top of the rice while cooking to steam cook the breasts. Top with Chantrelle Mushroom Gravy.
You meant with walla walla onions or shalots with those mushrooms, too... right? :s0155:

Sounds interesting, but have to go with another rice option. Uncle Ben's is NASTY!! :s0140: Might could toss a bit of zuchinni in with rice as well.

Good share!

I was kinda of looking around for my grandmothers (romanian) old stuffed cabbage rolls recipe. For some reason that sounds like grouse might go well in there, but havent located it yet. Anyone tried it before or have a good traditional stuffed cabbage recipe?

Maybe steamed stuffed peppers(?) Fried Zuchinni blossom poppers(?)

Last Edited:
The woman cubes up potatos into little squares around 1/8x1/8 " And cuts up the grouse into 1/2" pieces and fries em together with chantrelles until browned then dumps in home made mushroom soup and lets it simmer for 30 mins. I normally set it on toast and chow down like a starving dog. Only other thing ive tried with success was adding it to potato and leek soup.

I wish I could try some of these suggestions. I just went out hunting again after work today, came home empty handed again :/. Wish Weyerhaeuser didn't own damn near everything near Eugene. Gotta pay to hunt their units :(

I was able to get out and hunt on the opening day in Washington. Didn't bag any but saw some sign of grouse in the area. Had a blast though as I quite enjoy being out in the woods and immersed in nature. Hopefully I will make it out again this week and have better luck.

I was able to get out and hunt on the opening day in Washington. Didn't bag any but saw some sign of grouse in the area. Had a blast though as I quite enjoy being out in the woods and immersed in nature. Hopefully I will make it out again this week and have better luck.
Wishing you the best of luck! If it's any condolence, I've heard the long wet and cold spring we had this year was pretty hard on grouse populations on the western side of the PNW.

The woman cubes up potatos into little squares around 1/8x1/8 " And cuts up the grouse into 1/2" pieces and fries em together with chantrelles until browned then dumps in home made mushroom soup and lets it simmer for 30 mins. I normally set it on toast and chow down like a starving dog. Only other thing ive tried with success was adding it to potato and leek soup.
She's a good cook to do all that !

What about frying the cubed potato and grouse and having that as a sort of "grouse hash" along with eggs and toast ?
(you could add onion or whatever you like)
It would highlight the flavor of the grouse and would be a great camp breakfast.

What about frying the cubed potato and grouse and having that as a sort of "grouse hash" along with eggs and toast ?
It would highlight the flavor of the grouse and would be a great camp breakfast.
That actually sounds incrediby delicious! Who doesn't love them some egg over hash. Fresh cracked black pepper.... Great suggestion!!

She's a good cook to do all that !

Sounds tasty!
I would try a chicken & veggies thing I do.
Substitute the chicken with Grouse (or any game bird, actually).
Cut it into the typical 8 pieces. Place in a heated pan with EVOO.
I use canned veggies, because I have them already, but you could use any veggies you like.
I have canned whole potatoes and canned green beans.
Drain the water, give'em a quick rinse.
Cut all the potatoes in half.
Throw both in the pan over top the grouse.
Sprinkle about 1/2 a pack of Lipton's French Onion Soup Mix over top all of it.
Put a lid on it, cook on medium-high heat.
Flip the bird @ 10 minutes.
Lower to medium heat, finish cooking another 10 minutes.
Enjoy!

Sounds tasty!
I would try a chicken & veggies thing I do.
Substitute the chicken with Grouse (or any game bird, actually).
Cut it into the typical 8 pieces. Place in a heated pan with EVOO.
I use canned veggies, because I have them already, but you could use any veggies you like.
I have canned whole potatoes and canned green beans.
Drain the water, give'em a quick rinse.
Cut all the potatoes in half.
Throw both in the pan over top the grouse.
Sprinkle about 1/2 a pack of Lipton's French Onion Soup Mix over top all of it.
Put a lid on it, cook on medium-high heat.
Flip the bird @ 10 minutes.
Lower to medium heat, finish cooking another 10 minutes.
Enjoy!
That's a pretty good idea. I love that stuff and never would have occured to me for grouse.. Nice one!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top