JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have wrestled with the same question, with those that I have talked with I believe it is better to hit a perp with10 45's over 10 40's or 10 9mm's.
But it comes down to being able to handle your firearm in a emergency situation.
Is it better to hit the perp with 4 or 5 9mm or 1 or 2 45's or 40's. I think you get the point. It is the pistol that you can confidently control and deliver the most effective shots to the center of mass until the threat is illimunated.

Good luck in your search

I've recently started to see comments about ultra short barrel length with the .45 causing some ballistic problems. I'm regurgitating here and have not done the research myself but the little I have read has the 3" .45 as not long enough for a cartridge designed around a 5" barrel.

Pending further research I would at least take that partially into consideration if you're considering a <4" barrel.

a lot of other factors should be weighed...I would imagine I would go with 11+1 in a glock 35 over a 8+1 in a sub compact 1911. But you mention a BHP...so I would say you're comparing to a 5" govt 1911 45acp. I would go with the 8+1 of 45acp.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth... Whatever you feel comfortable with and can shoot should do the job in either one of those calibers. For a CCW, if you are in a situation where 8 + 1 is not enough, you're probably already in a lot more trouble than 3 extra rds is going to get you out of. An extra mag in your pocket should take care of any lingering concerns about capacity.

I used to carry a custom 1911 with the 10 rd extended mag, so it was an 11 shot pistol

I now carry an 11 shot MK 3 .40 cal BHP. I feel comfortable carrying either. I always carry at least two reloads

My wife and I have new G23s for tactical pistols to back up our CQC rifles, etc

I've recently started to see comments about ultra short barrel length with the .45 causing some ballistic problems. I'm regurgitating here and have not done the research myself but the little I have read has the 3" .45 as not long enough for a cartridge designed around a 5" barrel.

Pending further research I would at least take that partially into consideration if you're considering a <4" barrel.

Go with Speer Gold Dot short barreled ammo part# 23975
The bullet is designed to expand at velocities that short barrels produce.

Have you considered a para ordnance p-13 or glock 21? If you are just choosing between two weapons you already own then I would go with the BHP in .40. I owned one a long time ago but I remember the recoil was not any worse than a .45 even in the fairly compact and light setup the BHP provides. So given that controllability is about the same I would favor the extra firepower provided by the increased capacity. Bullet placement will always be the key factor with handgun bullets. Just as an aside, I wonder how a .357 SIG barrel would handle in the BHP?

Have you considered a para ordnance p-13 or glock 21? If you are just choosing between two weapons you already own then I would go with the BHP in .40. I owned one a long time ago but I remember the recoil was not any worse than a .45 even in the fairly compact and light setup the BHP provides. So given that controllability is about the same I would favor the extra firepower provided by the increased capacity. Bullet placement will always be the key factor with handgun bullets. Just as an aside, I wonder how a .357 SIG barrel would handle in the BHP?

At some point after they catch up on the crazy buying spree, Mec Gar will make extended magazines for the .40 BHP.. at least I hope!

I have converted one 20 shot 9MM mag, it works but I wouldn't bet my life on it

I have a .357 barrel for the BHP... you cannot use factory .357 loads and you must download it at least 20&#37; as far as pressure.. this is because the .357 has MUCH higher pressure than .40!

The question what would you prefer to carry
8+1 rounds of .45 or 11+1 rounds of .40 S&W

I am contemplating carrying .40 S&W BHP vrs my current 1911

Thanks

Andy

Capacity should be secondary concern. How well can you shoot each? Which do you feel more comfortable with?

If capacity is a concern then carry a spare mag and practice reloads.

I have a .357 barrel for the BHP... you cannot use factory .357 loads and you must download it at least 20&#37; as far as pressure.. this is because the .357 has MUCH higher pressure than .40!

This HP is on its was down to Down Williams at the Action works for a major work over and one of the items on the menu is fitting of a KKM .357 Sig barrel.

I discussed this exact issue and with Don and he assured me that there is not an issue, perhaps it is because he is using a KKM one piece barrel instead of the factory or Barstow two piece barrel.

I sent him an email for some additional clarification on the issue.

Andy

I have owned several Hi Powers over the years and they are one of my favorite hand guns... Right up there with my 1911's.

I fell that I can shoot them both just about the same so... To me this is a capacity issue, I never carry an extra mag so the extra rounds does make a difference.

Thanks for all the input, It is appreciated.

Andy

I'm happy with 1911 carry. I can't seem to get into the .40 S&W, although I've owned the Glock 22, 23, and 27 (some multiple times). No matter how many times I try to replace it, I end up back with my 8+1 1911...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top