JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, I haven't bought a new semi auto rifle since 1639 passed and have finally decided to get another one. Now that they are "assault weapons" or whatever BS they're referred to in WA, and there's a waiting period, I'd like to avoid buying in Washington. Does anyone know of some Oregon side FFLs in the PDX area that are friendly to Washington residents, especially in regards to scary semi autos?

Unfortunately, not the case with semi-auto after the reclassification. FFLs are required to follow the laws in both the purchasing state and the purchaser home state. I doubt you'll find someone willing to risk their license and dog to sell you a weapon you can easily purchase legally.

BLK_RFL_DIV_ATF_IM_VERY_INTERESTED_STICKER_grande.jpg

Before anyone else says it's not legal, here is the WA law:
RCW 9.41.122
Out-of-state purchasing.
Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

Hi guys, I haven't bought a new semi auto rifle since 1639 passed and have finally decided to get another one. Now that they are "assault weapons" or whatever BS they're referred to in WA, and there's a waiting period, I'd like to avoid buying in Washington.

You just posted this on a public forum.
It's intent.

Re-think your phrasing maybe?

Before anyone else says it's not legal, here is the WA law:

The key part there is:

That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington

How someone interprets that clause I guess depends on the rest of WA state law.

I can't speak to that. IANAL and I am not familiar with current WA state law - but it seems applicable to the question asked.

This isn't worth the hassle. I live right on the Oregon border and have never bought a semi auto in Oregon. I see the risk.. but not a point in taking it.

You can buy a semi auto in Oregon as a Washington resident. You have to show proof of the class or whatever it is you guys have to do. An FFL has to follow the laws. Pretty simple. Call Money Market Pawn and ask them.

You just posted this on a public forum.
It's intent.

Re-think your phrasing maybe?
Lol this is so funny. I want to buy a mattress in any state other then Washington even though I'm a resident.

Do I need to worry about the mattress police.

Both these states have dummies that post way worse on larger social media sites.

I'll let someone else test these ATF waters, there's no legal precedent and it's easy enough to comply with the law here. I definitely wouldn't stake my future freedom or rights on speculation. WheatNuts v Bob Ferg

It is legal. Call an Oregon FFL dealer and ask. They are not willing to forfeit their license to sell you a semi auto. They even require you to have the Washington state training to purchase. You go through a background check and unfortunately with the background check backlog you will have to wait a week or so. Just sold a rifle to a guy in Washington and went through this process last month.

Huh? So long as it's a long gun, I can buy it out of state.
You can buy it aware you want but it has to be delivered to you in WA by WA FFL. That is federal law and has been so for a long time. So unless the firearm you want is not in stock locally, or you can get a better price, there is no advantage in buying it from an OR FFL.

You can buy it aware you want but it has to be delivered to you in WA by WA FFL. That is federal law and has been so for a long time. So unless the firearm you want is not in stock locally, or you can get a better price, there is no advantage in buying it from an OR FFL.

Only handguns. I've bought many a long gun in OR and ID without the use of a WA FFL.

Only handguns. I've bought many a long gun in OR and ID without the use of a WA FFL.
No doubt you did but how about after WA changed its laws with respect to semi-auto rifles?

Subject to the exception in subsection (b)(3), subsection (a)(3) of section 18 U.S. Code § 922 requires transfers of firearms to go through a FFL in the persons state of residence. Subsection (b)(3) of section 18 U.S. Code § 922 allows transfers of rifles and shotguns by out of state FFLs but only if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully complies with the legal conditions of sale in both such States. So how does an OR or ID FFL fully comply with all of the legal conditions for sale of an AW in WA at this time? If they cannot, then there is no exception and subsection (a)(3) controls.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top