JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says, I'm looking for a true DAO pistol, and by true DAO, I mean a pistol that feels the same, or nearly the same, as a typical DA/SA shot DA. I know SIG has the DAK and HK has the LEM, but from what I've been able to find out by internet research, neither one is actually a "true" DAO. Only other one I can think of is the Beretta 92D, but I'm having a tough time finding one, I've got a WTB here and on another forum, but no offers so far. Also not looking for a "DAO-like" striker fired gun, I want a hammer and a metal frame. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dave

Are revolvers out of the picture?

Or are you looking strictly for mag fed DOA?

Revolvers are NOT out of the picture, I'm just not sure I really want to add another caliber to the reloading lineup. Yes, I know there are revolvers chambered in 9mm and .45 ACP, was actually giving serious thought to the latter when I got schooled on .45 AR brass. Also had a brief fling with the idea of a .45 Colt Ruger Redhawk, but fortunately, I got out bid before I could do damage to my bank account :rolleyes:. As to the other calibers, there just isn't anything I want or need that can't be handled by either 9mm or .45 ACP. Also, buying pretty much anything else will mean selling something, my CZ 97 BD is the most likely candidate, and I'm really not seeing the logic in going from a 10 shot pistol to a 6 shot anything. The Beretta 92D should be in the $500 neighborhood, I can probably rationalize that without selling the CZ, that would give me 2 "hi-cap" 9mm's in addition to my 2 .45's. So that's my thinking, in summary, the Beretta or something like it just makes more sense to me. Later.

Dave

Search is over (at least for now ;)). I put a similar post on the Sig forum, and it turns out converting my P220R is as simple as swapping out hammers, an ~$30 part, and removing the decocker. The whole process should only take about 30 minutes, which includes a thorough cleaning while I have it torn apart :D. What's even better, of the 3 pistols I currently have, this is the one I shoot the best, DA or SA, and if I hate the change, it's easy to undo. Best of all possible worlds, only problem is now I need to come up with another excuse to buy something new to me :rolleyes:. More later, and thanks for the input.

Dave

My p226 has a pretty stout DAO trigger. I don't think it's a DAK, but I wouldn't really know. It's heavy, long and the same every time.

My USP 45 on the other hand, has the LEM trigger and it feels really, really odd. DA trigger length of what feels like take up, even though it's moving the hammer, with a crisp SA feeling break. Until a "restrike" would need to happen, in which case it's heavy as lead and long as a Phoenix summer. Will take some getting used to.

I would strongly advise looking at the Sig offering a little closer

Some of the Ruger P series pistols were made in DAO configurations.

Decades ago, I had a Smith & Wesson Model 40, the Centennial, it was DAO. Beautifully made little revolver. They've since made many more models along this line in different chamberings.

Here's one for exotica, in WW2 the British made a DAO Enfield revolver, the No. 2 Mk.*.

Smith & Wesson 1st, 2nd, & 3rd generation autos had many versions that are DAO. Beretta's PX4 Storm pistol came in a DAO version as did H&K's USP.

In the late 1980's & 90's ParaOrdnance Ltd., made a 1911 with a DAO trigger called the LDA.

Search is over (at least for now ;)). I put a similar post on the Sig forum, and it turns out converting my P220R is as simple as swapping out hammers, an ~$30 part, and removing the decocker. The whole process should only take about 30 minutes, which includes a thorough cleaning while I have it torn apart :D. What's even better, of the 3 pistols I currently have, this is the one I shoot the best, DA or SA, and if I hate the change, it's easy to undo. Best of all possible worlds, only problem is now I need to come up with another excuse to buy something new to me :rolleyes:. More later, and thanks for the input.

Dave
Good news !
Now that you've saved the cost of a new pistol you may have some bank left over for a NEW pistol.
I actually just got this email from the SIG Mothership this morning...

:)

No interest in 10 mm or SAO, so no temptation there. That said, I'm still considering a Beretta 92 D, and also looking at several revolvers on GB. Problem is, I don't really know what I want, but since I can't get out and shoot, I'm shopping :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

Your Sig conversion solution sounds like it can make you happy and still allow you to build your bank for that next purchase.

As mentioned above, the all-metal third generation Smith & Wesson pistols have a number of options available to you if you want a true double action only semi-automatic. This Lucky Gunner Lounge article is a good read and helpful to anyone looking at old Smith pistols for range time or concealed carry... Guide to Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols & Their Model Numbers The CS9 also comes in a DAO model. Also, NYPD special ordered a Model 3914 DAO with second-strike capability.

I EDC a Smith & Wesson compact 9mm Model 3953 DAO stainless. It is easy to conceal, reliable, and a fine shooter. The pistol's hammer is half-cocked when a round is chambered which makes the trigger smooth and the same with each stroke. The trigger reminded me of my S&W Model 19-4 revolver which I carried for years.

Last Edited:
As the title says, I'm looking for a true DAO pistol, and by true DAO, I mean a pistol that feels the same, or nearly the same, as a typical DA/SA shot DA. I know SIG has the DAK and HK has the LEM, but from what I've been able to find out by internet research, neither one is actually a "true" DAO. Only other one I can think of is the Beretta 92D, but I'm having a tough time finding one, I've got a WTB here and on another forum, but no offers so far. Also not looking for a "DAO-like" striker fired gun, I want a hammer and a metal frame. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dave
Check out Kahr's. Home - Kahr Arms - A leader in technology and innovation Mine are DAO every shot. No SA available.

Thanks, guys, good info, it looks like if I was looking for a 3rd. gen. Smith, I'd want a 4545, which breaks down to .45 ACP, DAO, and blued steel frame. Did I mention I really like the .45 ACP? I've looked at the Kahrs before, they may market them as DAO, but from what I can tell, they're just another striker fired pistol, and I really prefer guns with hammers, even if it's bobbed for DAO. Assuming the Sig conversion works out for me, I've shifted my focus back to revolvers, I'm bidding on another 625 at the moment, if that goes higher than I'm willing to, there's a succession of K-38's following it, then a 25 that I'm pretty sure will go WAY higher than I can afford :(. Again, thanks for the info, later.

Dave

Thanks, guys, good info, it looks like if I was looking for a 3rd. gen. Smith, I'd want a 4545, which breaks down to .45 ACP, DAO, and blued steel frame. Did I mention I really like the .45 ACP? I've looked at the Kahrs before, they may market them as DAO, but from what I can tell, they're just another striker fired pistol, and I really prefer guns with hammers, even if it's bobbed for DAO. Assuming the Sig conversion works out for me, I've shifted my focus back to revolvers, I'm bidding on another 625 at the moment, if that goes higher than I'm willing to, there's a succession of K-38's following it, then a 25 that I'm pretty sure will go WAY higher than I can afford :(. Again, thanks for the info, later.

Dave
Ops, you are correct. I had just remembered the long DAO like trigger. Tom

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews