Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for Training & Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Ralph Brickley, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Ralph Brickley

Ralph Brickley McMinnville, OR Member

Hey Guys/Gals

So, I've spent the last 3 months looking into Gun Ranges/Clubs in my area. I'm from McMinnville and am willing to travel about 30 miles around me. I would prefer a nice club/range but I'm starting to buy steel targets and target holders for outdoor training. Not a pop can shooter - I want to actually train.

Does anyone have suggestions on clubs that offer good training courses, that actually answer the phone/email? I've tried clubs in Newberg, up to Tri County Gun Club and I can't get a single answer on membership waiting lists, when to visit, etc.

Hoping for some local advice on good clean shooting areas and hopefully some paid defensive pistol training and more.

Thanks for any advice I can get!

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

It may be too far from you but ARPC is the best club in Oregon. Look them up on the net and call during business hours. Albany Rifle and Pistol Club. They have training and shooting events almost every weekend and even though they have 2600 members you will have a place to shoot.

bnsaibum and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. Ralph Brickley

Great, thanks Just Jim. I don't mind driving an hour for a good place to shoot. I'll check them out.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

They have a lot to offer and it's a safe place to shoot. You are welcome

JJ life member arpc

5. Ralph Brickley

Do you know what this line means on the Dues and Fees of the Orientation booklet;

"ARPC’s annual renewal dues are payable twelve months from your sign-up date."

Does that mean you have a year to pay your dues off?

6. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Note the word "renewal". I'm not a member there, but I'm guessing that it means that you renew your membership on the anniversary of your sign-up date. So you if you sign up September 1, you'll pay one year's dues at that time, and then September 1 of next year your dues for the next year will be payable in full at that time.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  7. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

Tri county is good, they have many ranges, activities and competitions, I don't know where they're at with their membership limit, a month or two ago they said that they were opening their memberships again, you'll also have to keep up with attitude from some of the RSOs, nothing too bad, all in all a good place to go and have fun.

8. Ralph Brickley

I'm a dork ... glossed over the 'renewal' word. Thanks!

I've emailed Tri County 3x directly from their website submission form over the last month and haven't received a single response.

9. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

They're not the best when it comes to e-communication, you can call them or if you have time on a Saturday (I think it's the first Saturday of the month when they accept new members), just wake up and go and see if others are there or not, it'll be easily evident if they are accepting new memberships or not.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Chehalem Valley gun club is not far from you. They will open up for new members in December.

http://cvsc.us/

Last year it looks like they filled up in a few weeks.

11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ditto for APRC! Great club, great folks! We will have a 1,000yd line within five years. 200 now. I drive from PDX and it's well worth it!:D

12. Ralph Brickley

I'm leaning towards ARPC - I have the application filled out. My problem with smaller local locals is the limited out of range availability or other events like training classes, trap, etc. ARPC seems to have it all, including steel.

I really appreciate all the help here. I'm looking to make my shooting a consistent weekly habit now that I conceal carry daily.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good plan! Gotta practice! Glad you chose ARPC! I'm the incredibly handsome one!:rolleyes:

14. Jessie Russell

Jessie Russell beaverton, Or New Member

There's a gun range just before Dundee. Im not sure what they allow. Tri County is a really nice one. Its in Sherwood