JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I've been trying to find the perfect (for me) pistol for IWB carry. I've been searching around and looking up specs until my eyes cross, so I was hoping that some of you in the NWFA-verse might be able to share the knowledge.

I'm looking for:

Required:
Reliable (!)
Semiauto (no revolvers)
9mm
No manual safety (grip and/or trigger safety ok)
Tolerable (or better) trigger
Compact or sub-compact

Would be nice:
SA/DA with decocker
Somewhat pleasant to shoot (practice makes perfect...though I am looking for something small enough that I'll actually carry it, so I don't expect miracles)

I have med/large hands, but not very thick.

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot any of these yet (but I'm going to see how many of them I can rent after this crazy week-and-a-half is over).

The Sig p224 (SA/DA) seems almost perfect. I've never fired one, but I love the trigger in both SA and DA, plus the grip fills my hand nicely. Cons are: price (though not a deal breaker), difficult to find (esp. in 9mm), can't get my pinky on it (also not a deal breaker) and, for the same reason it's so comfortable, the grip is a little thick (.1" thicker than the G26, if memory serves). I've read opinions both ways about whether grip thickness vs. length affects IWB concealability more. Thoughts? I haven't gotten my hands on a p239, but that might be the ticket if the added .6" in length isn't a deal breaker (but I can't be sure because I haven't found a shop that'll let you stick a gun in your pants to check for fit :s0112:). Specs for the p239 show it as slightly larger than a G19. Can that be right?

I can get a pinky on the XDs 9, and I like the trigger (not as much as the Sig, naturally), but I can't get as much of my support hand on it as I would like. I'll have to actually shoot one before I can tell if this is a real problem, or just an imagined one.

The M&P9c fits my hand great, and I can get my pinky on it, but the trigger is absolutely terrible. So creaky and crunchy. I've heard about an aftermarket trigger that really improves this but I'm wary about modifications on a carry gun.

The NANO has too heavy a trigger for my preference (though I really like the look of the OD green one), but it feels pretty good in my hand for how small it is...but I'm not sure I want something *that* small.

Then there's the G26. I've shot Glocks more than any other gun (the G17 and the G20). I like the grip, the trigger doesn't bother me and I'm familiar with the platform. There's the lack of pinky support, though. Plus, I'm just not super wowwed by it for some reason :s0092:.

If any of y'all have experience with any of these (or anything I missed!) I'd love to hear it...especially if any of my first impressions of these are dead wrong. Thanks for the help!

Not quite a compact, but having carried 'smaller' weapons for a while my EDC is now the CZ P07 Duty. Ergonomics are great, the gun handles like a full size but has the comfort / carrying ability of a compact akin to the Glock 19 etc... It conceals excellently and is relatively thin for a double stack 9mm. Packs 16 rounds and has an awesome trigger.

I wear mine in a white hat holster and it is comfortable all day long.... I've just ordered an XDs 9mm (for summer) that i pick up next week so i will compare the 2, but for overall use, feel and quality the CZ is my #1 choice. I saw an offer on slickguns too, $449.... bargain!

Two more options to consider...way to make it easy, guys. (Just kidding, I really do appreciate the input!)

I've heard of Steyr regarding rifles, but never heard of their handguns. Looks like it has a really low bore axis and a flex-resistant trigger.

I have heard nothing but praise for CZ, and I really like the idea of the convertable safety/decocker. Gives the end user the option. Other manufacturers, take note! I was actually looking at their 455 American rifle for a multi caliber rimfire setup...you know, for when the .22lr is all dried up but there's still tons of .17HMR on the shelves. Ah, some day.

And I do keep seeing a lot of praise for the XDs9. Guess I'll have to find one of those to shoot and find out if my concern about it is invalid.

Again, thanks for the help!

Two more options to consider...way to make it easy, guys. (Just kidding, I really do appreciate the input!)

I've heard of Steyr regarding rifles, but never heard of their handguns. Looks like it has a really low bore axis and a flex-resistant trigger.

I have heard nothing but praise for CZ, and I really like the idea of the convertable safety/decocker. Gives the end user the option. Other manufacturers, take note! I was actually looking at their 455 American rifle for a multi caliber rimfire setup...you know, for when the .22lr is all dried up but there's still tons of .17HMR on the shelves. Ah, some day.

And I do keep seeing a lot of praise for the XDs9. Guess I'll have to find one of those to shoot and find out if my concern about it is invalid.

Again, thanks for the help!
I just bought the steyr .40 and I have never shot a pistol I like more. I get to play with a bunch of different stuff having a father inlaw that's a FFL gun nut. First mag out of the box I made a 3" group not trying real hard either. No muzzle flip and right back on target. I love it. I already gave orders for one in every size/caliber.my two pennies on Steyr handguns. I also use a steyr rifle for hunting. ..FWIW.

The newer m&p triggers are much better than the older ones. I have a 9c made in 2013 and it has the same trigger as the shield. Much better reset and after 400 rounds or so feels great to me. Still a little heavy for warm weather.

CZ P-01. It fits all your requirements plus it's accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Very ergonomics to most, unless you have baseball gloves for hands. One problem - you can't find one.

You can also look for a SIG P225 or a police trade in P6. The newer P239 is another option. All are single stack SIG in 9mm.

Im sure this will meet some resistance but I would recommend considering a Taurus 24/7 G2 its a great gun comes with all of the features you want and has a pretty good price tag not to mention the lifetime warranty.

I have put hundreds of rounds through mine and have absolutely no issues trusting my life to it

Taurus has had some issues in the past but they have worked awfully hard to get back into a pretty good spot IMHO.

Just my .02

Just picked up my xds-9 today. I'm going to put some rounds through it in the next couple days. If its good, its going to replace my sr9c as my daily carry. Empty it feels almost as heavy as my loaded sr9c. But ill have to weigh it both loaded and see.

What about the M&P shield? Like JohnnyD said the trigger is much better and yes they do have the Apex trigger kit for it. I just shot my shield for the first time today and its a keeper. The price is a plus.

What about the M&P shield? Like JohnnyD said the trigger is much better and yes they do have the Apex trigger kit for it. I just shot my shield for the first time today and its a keeper. The price is a plus.

X2

I have played with quite a few "carry" guns and so far (including the new hot XDS 9) I really, really like the shield. I have not experienced the LC9 yet and it has me curious.

The shield does have a small manual safety but you wouldn't have to use it if your insistent on not wanting one.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the tips!

My personal experience with owning a taurus has led me to the conclusion that, for me, they're fine for the range but not to rely too heavily upon. I had a taurus revolver that repeatedly jammed (requiring manual rotation of the cylinder), sent it in for warranty repair, got it back and 8 rounds later it fully seized up and had to be sent back to the factory again. It shot absolutely perfectly after that, but it sketched me out on the brand in general. I have never shot any other gun that jammed so badly that it couldn't be cleared in 1-2 seconds. I know that many people own taurus's that function flawlessly, and I am inclined to believe that the majority of their bad image came from problems they used to have and don't anymore. My own experience, however, has scared me away from the brand.

I am extremely intrigued by the shield. It seems small, but not way too small. If it weren't for the manual safety I might have bought one already. I know I could run it with the safety off, and that it has a pretty positive detent. The only thing is that I have never trained with a manual safety before (and am not especially looking to start) and would hate for it to accidently get flicked on in a pinch without that muscle memory.

Ah, the G26. I absolutely love my glocks. Pretty much everything about them is great. This one seems like the obvious choice, but honestly I can't figure out why I can't get excited about the G26. It might be the thickness, and if they made a single stack version I would certainly be more interested in it...but I really liked the p224 and it's just as thick (actually marginally thicker). Maybe I'm just looking for more variety in my pistols...then again, it can take my G17 mags. Maybe I'm just destined to own one of these and not be excited about it.

Haven't had a chance to get my hands on one of the kahrs yet. They seem like they could be a versatile option (being small enough for pocket carry). How do they shoot? Seems like at that size they might have too much snap to do a lot of training with. What's your experience?

The kahr's are the best shooting pocket gun I've eve handled. They point, great triggers, and I haven't had a single malfunction. You should definitely handle and/or shoot one before you decide. I went through the whole lot of popular carry options before landing on my p380. (I've shot the 9 also, and it's great.) I tried the SW 642, Glock 27, Ruger LCP and LC9, little Sigs. I love my Karh, and everyone I know with one feels the same.

ArgyleAdams the shields safety isnt going to be bumped on. The safety is flush and clicks on and off. Very firm. It is there whether you use it or not. I welcome you to come out shooting with me and try it if you like.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top