I'm looking for suggestions for the easiest way to legally handle transfers and possession while I help a friend with his AR15 SBR build.
- I'm an Oregon resident
- Friend is a Washington resident
- We have established a gun trust that is valid in both states to share NFA items. I am the Settlor, and we are both Responsible Persons and Co-Trustees
- Side note: we are aware that we have to notify the ATF for NFA items to cross state lines
- He wants to build an AR15 SBR starting with a stripped lower & upper set
- We expect the build to take at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer depending on part sourcing and our free time
- We want to do the build at my house where I have the tools and space
- I will order the lower and accept it for myself from my FFL. It will stay at my house until the build is done.
- Add it to trust, register as SBR with ATF through the trust, use his address as its long-term home. Once stamp is received, engrave and notify ATF it will move between OR and WA
- Finish build here in OR
- Transfer to him through FFL
- I haven't been able to find a clear answer about whether this has to happen at a WA FFL for him or if it can happen in OR.