JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been saving my pennies, and I'm looking at getting a smaller carbine--something that my wife can wield when the zombies come... And something that isn't as expensive to feed as my .308 for plinking.
I'd like to get an mp5, but it looks like what I can afford is built on a special weapons receiver and I don't really want to open that can of worms.
I would like to spend less than $1000, but if I wait until I sell my car I can probably spend a bit more.
I know an AR pistol or Draco would probably meet my criteria, but I would like to get something with a bit more character... I might be into building an SBR down the road, but I'm not stuck on anything yet.
I might be interested in an uzi, but are they any more useful than a beretta 92 with a 30 round mag?
Throw out some ideas and opinions, because I'm not sure what direction I want to go yet.. I might be better off just getting a full size pistol..

Beretta CX Storm would be a good pistol caliber carbine that you can mount lights, lasers, optics on if you want. I like the Uzi for historical purposes but its ergonomics aren't the best. For less than a thousand you can fit out a good M4 carbine but if you want to stick to pistol calibers for less recoil and muzzle blast I understand. FNH PS90 could be a good option but they are around 1500 and the ammo is spendy. You could also get a MechTech upper for a Glock 17 and have both a pistol and a carbine. They are also making long barreled carbines out of old Sterling parts. I was thinking of getting one of those modern Sten guns... :)

+1 on the CX4 Storm. My wife and I each have one in 9mm and love them. My wife chose it for the low recoil and lower cost to shoot than a similar gun in a rifle caliber. I was out shooting mine this morning. Really a lot of fun, IMO:D PM if you ever want to try one:s0155:

Yeah, I already have an m4, but I was thinking more compact. That's why I was thinking big "handguns" or SBRs. The cx storm is interesting, but I don't really like the styling.. I might have to handle one in the shop before I make that call though.
Are the sten clones any good? I had heard bad things about them. I was playing with a mac11 the other day, but everyone says I'll get bored of it fast, and it seems overweight to me for what it is.

I've been toying with the idea of SBR'ing one the the Materpeice Mac11 clones. I've got a mini version but a folding stock would go WAY past the front of the barrel in a folded position, so THAT's a no-go. They do make a regular sized model that is a side cocker, which allows a rail on top for optics, which should make it fairly accurate. An UZI pistol with a stock would be cool but after adding a stock and tax stamp you'd probably be over $1000.

What about a bullpup in .223, like a MSAR STG? Thy can be found used for under $1k and they wield much easier than an M4. SBR AR will take time, and you could easily go over a grand while building it. For about $300 you can get a Keltec Sub2000, they are extremely light and as small as they can get without being an SBR.

+1 for the beretta cx4 carbine in 9mm. I just got one for my girlfriend and they are extremely accurate and a lot of fun! You can mount anything on it and 500 rounds of 9mm from nw ammo supply is only $80!

Sounds like I need to take a look at the storm and sub2k.. I've played with the stg before, but I didn't have money for it, maybe I'll take another look at it.
I'm leaning more towards "evil" pistols--anything I should be thinking about? Tec 9 or skorpion? And I can't get the uzi out of my head...

Maybe a PLR-16? I have one and it's a lot of fun to shoot, surprisingly accurate and very quick/handy with 5.56 punch.

The downside is it is extremely loud (which also adds to the fun factor though), and if you don't get a flash hider it'll throw a fireball about the size of a basketball.
I think they can still be had for around $500 which is a bargain compared to an AR pistol, and it takes the same mags so if you've already got an AR you are set for ammo and mag sharing in a zombie situation ;)

ETA: The Calicos are neat but magazines are rare and extremely expensive.

Yes it's basically the SU-16D9 without the stock Kel Tec CNC, althugh I think the PLR-16 came out first.
It's a hoot to fire and definitely evil looking, weighs 3.5lbs empty, gas piston, 1 in 9" twist, reciprocating/fixed side charging handle, etc. I think it's a bargain for what you get. I don't like the buffer tube on AR pistols either, it doesn't make them much more compact than a SBR yet you don't even get a stock to use.
If you get one I'd highly recommend picking up the handguard and sling too so you've got something besides a hot barrel to grab and a support device (they aren't much, I think about $50 for both those items). I also threw on a $5 A2 birdcage flash hider on mine which actually seemed to cut down the noise and recoil, not to mention tame the fireball! Just remember ear protection unless you like saying "WHAT???" a lot!

I highly recommend a BCM 14.5" mid-length carbine with a lightweight (pencil) profile barrel and a pinned FSC556.
BCM 14.5" Mid Length LIGHT WEIGHT Upper Receiver Group
This will be an EXTREMELY lightweight platform and the recoil is like a .22lr with the brake plus the longer gas system.

Not quite as compact as an AR pistol or a PLR-16, but if you are looking for something your wife can wield easily then I'd say it is pretty much the ideal.

I played with a CIA and Vector uzi today and really liked them. I also handled a coharie arms mp5 clone and that was garbage.
Does anyone have any experience with a Century built uzi? I'm looking at getting a carbine model and then switching out the barrel when I'm ready to do the SBR thing.
The plr 16 still appeals to me, do any shops in the area have any I could handle?

The plr 16 still appeals to me, do any shops in the area have any I could handle?
I got mine from Keiths at a gun show.

I don't have experience with a Century uzi but if it's anything like their other built guns, the words "drunk monkeys" comes up often. Vectors are usually nice.

I played with a CIA and Vector uzi today and really liked them. I also handled a coharie arms mp5 clone and that was garbage.
Does anyone have any experience with a Century built uzi? I'm looking at getting a carbine model and then switching out the barrel when I'm ready to do the SBR thing.

Once in a while, someone gets lucky with a Century...usually, they are just complete crap.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top