JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I've been looking around lately for handguns and decided to wait out a bit and save up some extra cash for a better one. I'm aiming for around $475 to be on the low end safe side. What kind of first handgun would you recommend for that? Only thing I'm trying to stay away from is a .22 because I plan on keeping this a while for home defense, gun range, and eventually my everyday.

are you looking for a semi auto or revolver?

What he said. :) How about you narrow the field a bit. You're going to end up with a smorgasbord of suggestion if not.

My suggestion? Just start buying in your price range...sell the ones you don't like and keep the rest.

Smith and Wesson and Ruger for revolvers and H&Ks and Glocks for semi-autos.

Good luck on your search:s0155:

Be well,
Will

Hey guys, I've been looking around lately for handguns and decided to wait out a bit and save up some extra cash for a better one. I'm aiming for around $475 to be on the low end safe side. What kind of first handgun would you recommend for that? Only thing I'm trying to stay away from is a .22 because I plan on keeping this a while for home defense, gun range, and eventually my everyday.

Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro 9mm

I like the sig p2022. It's a DA/SA. I would say the p250, but I don't know how you feel about a DAO. I would think DA/SA is preferred. I own both and like them for different reasons. I would also consider the price on ammo, whenever it's back on the shelves and available:(. Shoot the caliber you feel comfortable purchasing. Hope you find a gun that works for you.

I picked up my full size Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm for $499 here in no-tax Oregon. It shoots so smooth that it is my 11 year old's favourite to use for target practice. Even +p+ barely has any felt recoil.

home defense, gun range, and everyday? Around 475, and not .22?

Only a few fall into that category. I recommend a used third or fourth gen glock 19. You can shoot well at the range with it, conceal it, and put 33 round mags in it for home defense.

Plus 9mm ammo is pretty much the cheapest handgun ammo. No sense buying a 45 acp if you wont have much money for ammo. You will probably spend more on ammo than on the actual pistol if you plan on keeping it for a few years. Its something to consider.

Also 9mm +p JHP packs plenty of punch IMO.

EAA witness. its about $50 more than what your suggesting but its great quality for the amount your spending. i own this one in 9mm and have never had any issues with it, very easy to clean, easy to learn how to break it down and is a CZ clone which is by design reliable and simple. down side is you can shoot +p loads but you can get conversion kits to change the caliber of the gun simple by removing the slide and replacing it with the new one. a great gun, very comfortable firing it and probably the best grip ive ever felt but thats an individual thing too.

https://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/witness-polymer-p-full-size/

S&W Shield 9mm or 40 in most place for under $399

I would recommend against M&P Shield for the OP's stated purposes: "home defense, gun range". It is a great (if not the greatest at the moment) serious fighting single-stack for concealed carry, but eight 9mm rounds are not sufficient for gun range, and even home defense (if you get involved in a long shootout).

The "jack of all trades" the OP is looking for is probably M&P compact 9mm, which can accept 17-round magazines for range fun and home defense and is still small enough to be concealable. However, finding one under $475 is rather hard. GandR tactical has it listed for $425, but it has been out of stock for months. Buying a used one, waiting for a month or two, touring local gun shops (and getting on their waiting lists) and/or subscribing at slickguns.com are possible options.

A few guns I've owned that haven't been mentioned but fit the bill he outlined.

Ruger P95: extremely reliable and great for home defense. Under $400

Canik55 S-120:C-100/Shark: Turkish made, extremely well finished (factory is NATO certified), reliable, and the best CZ-clones on the market in my opinion. Budsgunshop.com has them available for $459 and Sportsman's Warehouse in Portland is starting to get them in.

Beretta PX4: This was mentioned but I second the recommendation. The rotating barrel makes this both highly accurate and recoil friendly.

All said, there's a lot of quality pistols these days in your price range. But take a day off and cruise the various gun shops to get an idea how any of my and the previous rcoendations fit for you. At the very least you'll have fun. Good luck.

my second pistol was a glock 19 3rd gen. I've gone through a lot of pistols since then but I still have and carry the glock 19. It is the best multipurpose handgun out there imo, and I shoot it better than any other pistol I own(including some 1k$ plus ones) You won't be sorry, and even if you are, selling a glock 19 is the easiest thing in the world to do!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top