JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I've noted before, my daughter is home-schooled. But we are part of 2 school communities that help fill in the gap for instruction and social interaction. One of those schools has asked if anyone could help identify a site/software that would allow for online collaboration/coordination of activities, discussion, calendar, etc.

They have used Big Tent in the past, but found it just didn't work for them. They are looking at Google Groups and Microsoft Teams, I believe, but they don't think they're going to work for them either. We use Sharepoint at work, but that would be cost prohibitive. So a freeware site or low cost site would have to be the solution. They've considered using a private group page on Facebook too, but a lot of our folks are not big on supporting sites like Facebook.

Just curious if any of you IT/techie folks know of a good option to consider. Some key items that are of primary importance:

* Ease of use
* Free or low cost - there is really no budget for this
* Discussion/forum - they want to be able to have discussion 'topics' and have folks be able to communicate in an environment similar to what we do here on NWFA
* Calendar - ability to post a calendar up to a year in advance
* Group notices/emails - ability to push out a group notice via email, say for something like a school closure

If any of you can recommend a site/software that could help meet these needs, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

My wife is in school working on her Masters and the school uses Canvas.

I don't know the price or anything, just that is what she uses and it would cover what you need it to do.

My wife is in school working on her Masters and the school uses Canvas.

I don't know the price or anything, just that is what she uses and it would cover what you need it to do.

I checked it out, definitely too pricey for our use - they won't even list their prices on the website. Developer fees and recurring annual maintenance fees.

But, through it, I found a link to another LMS called NEO. It has a free version that sounds like it may be just what we need. I'm going to dig more into that one later.

* Ease of use
* Free or low cost - there is really no budget for this
* Discussion/forum - they want to be able to have discussion 'topics' and have folks be able to communicate in an environment similar to what we do here on NWFA
* Calendar - ability to post a calendar up to a year in advance
* Group notices/emails - ability to push out a group notice via email, say for something like a school closure

Sounds like:
Facebook.
Google+ (not like it has that many users)

I presume you need to share documents ( ie turn in assignments, and or collaborate on a paper)

Or, do you need to be able to interactively work on the same document? ie a business meeting where everyone can update the same spreadsheet in real time.

Do you need on-line meetings - 'ala Skype-for-Business, or Goto Meeting?

My co-worker who is up on home schooling suggests: Moodle
moodle.org

Sounds like:
Facebook.
Google+ (not like it has that many users)

I presume you need to share documents ( ie turn in assignments, and or collaborate on a paper)

Or, do you need to be able to interactively work on the same document? ie a business meeting where everyone can update the same spreadsheet in real time.

Do you need on-line meetings - 'ala Skype-for-Business, or Goto Meeting?

My co-worker who is up on home schooling suggests: Moodle
moodle.org

Actually, it's pretty simple. No collaboration on documents, no assignments to turn in online, no online lessons. Really what they need is a forum, a way to send bulk emails to all members and a good, solid calendar. Beyond that, it's just bonus stuff and fluff.

The one I found earlier today, NEO LMS, looks very promising in the free version. I've got to dig into it a bit more.

Google will be your best bet.

We use it at work to share calendars, spreadsheets and keep track of thousands of orders per year.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top