JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey All,

As the title said, looking for a different .22 (prefer LR). Something relatively easy to maintain/clean and fun to shoot. Just for some real plinking fun (when ammo is easily available again).

No real preference, so if I left out something from what I've found so far please toss in a suggestion!

Pistol or rifle/carbine doesn't matter!

I usually use CCI Mini Mag or CCI AR-22 (high velocity) if that helps any.

-Thanks!!!

So far I've found:

S&W AR15-22
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_773502_-1_757786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

AK47 in 22lr
http://www.impactguns.com/gsg-german-sport-ak-47-ria-22lr-165in-black-synthetic-stock-24-rd-gsgak47-892756002458.aspx

Walther G22
<broken link removed>

MP5 in 22lr
<broken link removed>

Uzi in 22lr
<broken link removed>

1911 in 22lr
http://www.waltherarms.com/products/tactical-rimfire-replicas/government-1911-a1/

H&K 416 Pistol in 22lr
<broken link removed>

STG 44 replica in 22lr
http://www.americantactical.us/3108/detail.html

PPSH-41 replica in 22lr
<broken link removed>

Carbine Revolver in 22lr
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/rossi-circuit-judge-review/

P90 Ruger 10/22 conversion
http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=67&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

SCAR in 22lr

M1 Carbine in 22lr

I'm partial to old Winchester and Remingtons, in that order. Bolt action mainly. I care more about accuracy than firepower as I'm more a hunter and less a mall ninja. Or old and fat depending on how you look at it. If you must have an auto...Winchester, Remington, and all the others have made awesome semi autos since roughly the turn of the century. The early Winchesters were pretty cool looking, the Remington Speedmasters were lights out accurate...and the old Savage Springfield gill guns frequently went full auto on their own. I thought it was pretty cool but my dad didn't think it was such a great idea for a 9 yr old. Probably had something to do with it blowing cases and I shoot left handed.

Well I have about half the guns on your list (in some version) and all are quiet fun.

Another one I just picked up that you do not have on your list is the M&P .22. Same fit, feel and function as the standard so good training gun.

I have shot the 15-22, the STG, the 416 and the Scar, and enjoyed them all. But the .22 I love most is the Sig 522. It is the least ammo sensitive rimfire I can ever imagine getting ahold of, it simply doesn't care what you feed it. Aside from the inevitable dud here and there, it is 100%. And with Mini-Mags, it has been 100% without exception. Break down is absurdly easy, and it's very easy to clean. The magazines are Black Dog, so great quality and superb reliability, and are almost always available for 10-13 bucks a piece for 25-26 rounders. Including right now. And in the accuracy department, :) it's happy....

SIG522 Classic

If I was to pick up another, it would be the STG, but since a friend already has one, I cannot come close to justifying the massive cost of one. That said, it feels like it is worth every bit as much as you pay for it, solid brick of a rifle!

Any of the Winchester 1890 1906 61 62, Remington 12 121 572, Savage 03 1906 1914 25 29 -A -B Pump action

Savage currenly makes some great bolt action .22's the MKII series my favorite is the MKII FVT heavy barrel with Target peep sights

Henry makes some wonderful lever action .22's

It looks like, based on what you've linked, you're looking for something on the "tactical" end of things. In that vein, I have a friend who runs a GSG mp5 clone with a suppressor tacked to the front to keep legal length. It's quite fun to shoot... but particularly with subsonic rounds, it's a wee bit unreliable. I believe the GSG guns have been killed by lawsuits, but there's an HK branded version floating around now.

I handled one of the stg44 replicas at a recent gunshow, and I wasn't... really enthralled with it. I love my WWII guns, but this one just felt wrong in the hand. Hard to explain, and a very personal opinion. Your mileage may vary, but I'd definitely recommend handling them before throwing cash on the barrel-head.

If you can find one, you might enjoy a Calico M100. They're all kinds of unique. IIRC they tend to have some reliability issues, but the truth is most .22s do, to a certain extent. They're space-age, massive capacity... what's not to love?

I'm also personally a fan of the <broken link removed> . I used to own one, but for financial reasons it had to go while I was in school. It's a bit more of a traditional gun that some of the others you've linked, but hardly as ubiquitous as a 10-22. And it takes Marlin 70 mags, so it's got that going for it.

My current .22, though, and one I love dearly, is a Henry .22 lever action. It's a fast-firing lever, wonderful trigger, classic cowboy lines... and again, it's not another 10-22. I'd really recommend you check them out. You really can't go wrong with em. The other cool thing is the lever guns are completely ammo-agnostic. They'll feed LR, L and Short equally well. I plink with the cheap stuff, and have a couple boxes of .22 short CBs for... fun. Out of a rifle length barrel, they're quieter even than my buddy's suppressed GSG-5. Strongly recommend this gun.

My little Marlin Papoose pack rife is a hoot. Even for folks who have never in thier life fired a gun.
Everyone likes shooting it for some reason. Just ABC simple I guess.
Came with two 20 round mags and two ten round mags. Breaks down to about 18" in a small padded case, weighs less than 5 lbs.

Look for a pre 1994 manufactured model. The post 94 ones have some sort of internal feature that prevents mags over 10 rounds from locking in place.

The new Ruger 10-22 take down looks promising. I haven't tried it yet but I do like to look. I have an old 80's 10/22 that's as accurate and reliable as it was new.

I bought a Colt M4 22 LR that so far has held up well and keeps zero. Thankfully I bought a bunch of 20 and 30 rd mags in2012 before prices went through the roof.
Fun plinker. Full sized but lighter weight than it's big brother.

For stone cold accuracy (varmit control) Remington Speedmaster is my go to .22 LR. Never fails, never misses. Pick a moles eye at 50 yds.

If you own an AR. I would go with a the m&p 15-22. You can set it up like your AR15. It has all the same functions as an AR15, the other don't. I have a acog on my ddm4v7, and a cheap acog knockoff on my 15-22. Lets me train on a platform like my AR but at 1/10th the cost.

I don't think Marlin calls it the Papoose any more, but they do <broken link removed> and they are about the same price as as a 10-22 Takedown. The S&W M&P 15-22 sure does garner the votes though

image.jpg Nothing new. But it looks fun and is different.

image.jpg

Had insomnia last night so I assembled a ZF-22. (On your list). Will let you know what I think of it after some range time. Was a little miffed that the side rails are pictured on their website but not included, but they are only a $7 online item (Magpul 7-slot).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top