Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for somebody local to make thread protectors

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by bwells, Apr 16, 2010.

1. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Hi all. I just picked up a new rifle, and I'm not a big fan of the removable muzzle break. I'm sure it will be nice at the range, but for hunting I'd like to just have a thread protector to put on. Is there anybody in the Longview/Kelso/Vancouver area who can make a couple?

Here's a couple pics of the gun and the break:

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

2. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

What thread pitch is it?

Tornado Technologies in Hillsboro has common threads and sizes on the shelf. Knurled or smooth.

3. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I really don't know, I don't have a pitch gauge but I could borrow one from a buddy of mine, or just buy one the next time I'm in town.

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

A short trip down the I-5 to Salem, take it to Todd at Koonce Custom. He has the knowledge and machines to make what you need.

5. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Cool guys, thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get a pitch gauge, measure my threads, and buy a pre-made protector. If I don't like those for some reason, I'll consider having something different made.

6. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I have a machinist buddy. If you give me specs Ill see if I can get it done for you.