JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been looking around for a cheaper tactical shot gun for a while. Saw a Rock Island Armory shotgun for around $200 and a Remington 870 for around $350 and a Mossberg 500 for around $450. I would prefer to spend around $300-$400 at the most but budget isn't that big of an issue. I'm not sure if I'd be doing a disservice to myself by buying really cheap or if I should spend the extra money for the name brand factor. Let me know what your opinions are, any feedback would be appreciated. Also, this shotgun will be used mostly for home defense. I don't bird hunt or anything like that so I wouldn't use it all that often. Thanks ahead of time!

If it's not gonna be in a damp enviroment , then get the 870 . Proven design and lots of spare parts . I have a few of these 870's and have never had a problem . I would assume that the Mossberg is a "marine" model . If it's gonna be damp then get a "marine " model . I keep one of these 870's on my boat and have no problems with corrosion . They are in the $600 range .

I'd pick between 870 or 500. they are both very reliable shotguns.

I like mossberg's safety location over 870. also replacing ejector on mossberg is user friendly, where 870 you have to send the gun in or cost more to replace.

Go hold both of them to see what fits you better.

I'd go with a Mossberg over the Remington any day, especially after hearing the concerns about the quality of Remingtons since the ownership changed hands and a few problems I've experienced with a few relatives fairly recent 870 purchases. Not sure about Rock Island/Armscor but from what I've read they'll pretty much bend over backwards for you if there's a problem with one of their firearms.

My son's budget for his first SG was very tight. For him, it was a choice between the Rem 870 and Mossberg 500. He likes to "accessorize."

In the end he found a 12 ga. Rem 870 Express at a pawn shop. Mind you that I said Express. So, the finish wasn't as nice, not to mention what the wood looked like........when compared to the Rem 870. But, it did take magnum shells.

He almost immediately swapped the forearm and stock for a Blackhawk kit w/ an adjustable stock. It allowed him to have the evil pistol grip and an adjustable stock that better fit his 12 year old body. Anyway, he likes black AW looking stuff.

<broken link removed>

*I did have to do a little tweeking in order to get a good fit.

Aloha, Mark

Remmy 870, so many accessories. Even MagPul is in on it now :)
Magpul-Remington-870.jpg

If $$$ were no option I would go with the Binelli M4:s0155:
img0331copy.jpg

Mossberg 500/590 or Reminton 870
Why even consider anything else?
Exactly!

Find a nice used 870 or 500/590, and don't be afraid of the 870 Express, its still an 870 and a great gun; finish and furniture are not that big of a deal, especially if its a gun you're going to use/abuse. There are about $20 in two small parts that matter that make the difference between the Express and Police/Wingmaster. And as already mentioned, the quality of new Remingtons are suspect.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top