JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I was doing some Google searches about guns and ammunition and came across this site from my local area, so I decided to join. :)

I'm also looking for recommendations for a gunsmith in the Hillsboro area. I recently had my dad's Smith & Wesson .38 Special Fourth Change revolver (from approx 1927) passed down to me that he bought around 1960. Since it's been sitting in a gun box for a very long time and I don't know when the last time he shot it or cleaned it, I want to have it cleaned and checked out by a gunsmith. It seems in sound condition, although the cylinder sticks a bit when I open and close it and seems a bit stiff. I think mainly it just needs a good cleaning and lubing to get it back running smoothly but I want the parts checked as well since the gun is around 90+ years old.

I know there are gunsmiths in the Hillsboro area and more in the general Portland area but before I start calling around to find out if any have people that specialize in revolvers, I thought I'd ask here first. So does anyone have experience with gunsmiths on the West side that have worked on your revolvers and you were happy with (or even those that you were not happy with so I can stay away from them)?

The .38 is not a collector's item, that's for sure (my dad wore it and used it for a lot of years out in the woods) but because it was my dad's, I don't want just anyone to work on it.

Mike

Hey Mike - Try Revelation Arms in Aloha. I had them do some trigger and barrel work on a couple of my personal rifles. Great people to deal with and prices were very reasonable.

Your going to have to drive a bit, all the way out to Esticata to see @Velzey for a top notch 'Smith who can give your wheel gun a good lookin over and an honest no B.S. assessment of the condition of what you have! You could also make the drive up to the 'Cove and see Jon @N.W. Custom Firearms, also a top notch 'Smith.

FWIW, Roger @Revalation arms isn't a very good Smith, I could post a nasty and show pictures, but I won't, suffice it to say it's my advice to avoide that business, especially with something like you have with sentimental value!

Mods, feel free to "Adjust" as needed!

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are right about Velzey being a drive! Estacada is one of those places you don't know how far it is until you look at it on the map compared to where Hillsboro is. It's almost over there on the dry side of Oregon. :)

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are right about Velzey being a drive! Estacada is one of those places you don't know how far it is until you look at it on the map compared to where Hillsboro is. It's almost over there on the dry side of Oregon. :)

Mike
It's about an hour... i would hardly consider that far, especially for such highly recomended service!

Then if Mt.Hood opens up to shooting, there is a gravel pit to try your pistol just 15 minutes up the river.

One word of warning about the @Velzey place though....

He keep's trying to tell me it's a dog but....I think he is raising abominable snow beasts. :eek:

thumbs_face-6.jpg

I may very well take advantage of Velzey's services yet. I've not found another gunsmith around the area that has as many positive things said about him as he has, which does mean something to me. Either he's good and dependable or he pays you guys real well. ;)

We raise something similar and one reason I've never worried too much about needing a gun for home defense... at least not with a pack of these:

frank3492.jpg

Mike

It's about an hour... i would hardly consider that far, especially for such highly recomended service!

Then if Mt.Hood opens up to shooting, there is a gravel pit to try your pistol just 15 minutes up the river.

I only consider it far because I have to go through Portland to get there. Getting through Portland can add anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to any trip heading East. The alternative is to go way South down I5 and then go East, which still adds time to the drive. I do remember not to many years ago that I wouldn't hesitate to jump in the car and drive 3 or 4 hours for something minor... I guess age and traffic has taken some of the fun out of drives like this.

Mike

Don't know any 'smiths on this side of town, but welcome to NWFA from another member from 97124.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Don't know any 'smiths on this side of town, but welcome to NWFA from another member from 97124.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Thanks, Bajablast. If my wife and I were able to, it would be some other zip code, that's for sure. She's lived here for around 45 years and I've been here for about 27 years and it sure isn't the same as it use to be.

Mike

Mike, I have been in Hillsboro for 12 years and counting. Born and raised in Portland, and like you, would like to be even farther away from Portland, like Idaho. :cool:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did take the advice of those that recommended Velzey and turned my .38 over to him. I didn't have to drive over to the far side of Portland though, he was good enough to meet up with me on a trip over here to the West side. Now how many gunsmiths can you say almost make house calls? :)

He dropped the revolver off with me today and I have to say, it feels and handles like a new gun. The action is really smooth and the cylinder no longer binds and when it's out it actually spins for a bit now, which it didn't before. The gun still looks like it was kept in the holster for too long (which it was) but Velzey did an outstanding job and I'm very happy with it. And his pricing is so reasonable to boot.

Thanks to all of the recommendations and thanks to Tim for the excellent job. Now I need to go shoot it and the other pistols I have.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads