Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

looking for recomendations for a small revolver

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Mark W., Jan 10, 2011.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm looking for recomendations for a .32 mag , 38spl, maybe 357Mag revolver. I'll be happy with a 5 shot. has to have a hammer and DA/SA 2"-2.5" barrel be able to fit 3.5 fingers on a Houge style rubber grip (My Bull Dog Pug has this style grip)

Basically I am looking for a physically smaller version of my Bull Dog Pug. (5sht .44spl)

I much prefer blued or black finish not so much into the designer colors crap.

Budget is always a factor but I buy firearms and keep them a very long time so quality is also important.

WHAT YOU LIKE?

2. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Take a look at he many J frame S&W revolvers. These can be light weight alloy frames or steel/stainless steel guns. .38 or .357mag. I don't care for the air weight guns in .357 as the recoil is not pleasant.

Here's a M640, 5 round .357 with CT lazor grips next to a .44 Bulldog. The enclosed hammer makes this pocket carry friendly. The Bodyguard S&W has a shrouded hammer so you still have SA option.
    bd01.jpg

The Model 36 Chief's special is a .38 and can be found in 3" and shorter.
    smithM3601.jpg

I don't think any of the Rugers are going to be smaller than the Bulldog, Taurus has a few to choose from, never owned one.

3. kenjo

kenjo Washougal Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Look for a Taurus 85 in 38 Spl. It looks similar to the Chief's Special, but with a 2" barrel.

4. Mark W.

So far the Charter Arms Undercover .38 in DA/SA Blue looks pretty close. And the 38 +P chambering would give me a little more umph for the carry rounds. Speedloaders are dirt cheap for Charter Arms pistols so thats a plus as well. Have to go fondle one of these.

13820.gif

Keep the recomendations coming I won't be buying for a while I got time to decide.

5. 3 AE

3 AE Oregon Member

It's pretty hard to beat a Ruger SP101. Ruger makes it with a 2.25" barrel, 5 shot, in a .38 special that can handle +P rounds,and also a .357 magnum version. They only come in stainless steel but they are rugged as all get go. They also make a 3" barrel,6 shot version in .327 magnum that can fire the .32 S&W,.32 S&W Long,.32 H&R Magnum,and the Federal .327 Magnum. Pretty versatile revolver. :thumbup:

6. Moonshiner

Moonshiner Sherwood, OR Member

Love my S&W 442 Airweight .38 special... looked at all the others, Charter Arms doesnt have consistent quality as well as Taurus, Rugers were to heavy and I picked up this Smith fairly unused for $300, I love shooting it and its my main carry piece with Hornadys personal defense ammo, lil critter even fires the big 158gr JHP +P rounds well, however the Military ball ammo is in my opinion much stronger than most +P loads and kicks a bit more, but still a blast to shoot, and with the Hogue monogrip its an all day shooter.

7. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Maybe a S&W Model 60 2"? I have the 3" model & like it a lot.

162420_01_md.jpg

8. Mark W.

Those Smiths are sure purdy.. thanks for the ideas guys.

9. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I have a S&W 36 no dash and a early 90's Taurus mod 85 stainless both have about 2" barrels. I have been very pleased with these revolvers. After shooting both I ask my wife which of these she liked best, she now has the Taurus.

10. SWCR

SWCR Sedro-Woolley, WA Member

+1 for S&W M60

I've been carrying a 3" M60 daily for 10 years and love it.

SWModel60pancake3.jpg

11. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

12. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I really like my EDC model 36 smithy.

img0673jw.jpg

13. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I saw that you specified SA/DA capabilities but I'd suggest you look at the Ruger LCR. Nice lightweight 5shot, +P capable, with a pretty sweet DA only trigger. Mine has been plenty accurate and very manageable when firing. The weight makes it a dream to carry too :)

14. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You mentioned the .32 Mag. S&W currently makes two J frames in .32 Mag (one DAO and one SA/DA) and there are some older versions are out there used. Small, light and six shots.

Go here for a basic write up:

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_SW32s.htm

15. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

Here's a J frame model 38 with an exposed hammer and hogue grip....
    000_0425.jpg

16. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Another option is 9mm. Taurus also makes it with the exposed hammer for D/A S/A.

Taurus-TF.jpg

If I was looking for another, it would be the Ruger SP100 with the 3" barrel as mentioned earler.

17. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Not really a snubbie, but it sure is pretty.

18. bloodnguts

bloodnguts Seattle Member

S&W Model 36 or Colt Detective Special. If you got the $$$ S&W 327 Peformance Center snub or maybe a Chiappa Rhino.

19. Mark W.

This is the direction I am leaning but I try to be a good shopper and since revolvers no longer in production are hard to search for if you don't know what your looking for I thought asking would be a good option.

20. DK47

DK47 Beaverton, OR Member

Rhino-Angle-View.jpg

This is what I'm saving up for!! It's the future! lol.. but no aftermarket grips yet.