JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a Mossberg 500 (new) back in 1976 and it broke down CONSTANTLY, as did all the Mossberg 500s everyone else bought at the time. By "all the time" I mean every time I shot a box of trap loads or game loads something was broken, literally. My gun, the four or five other 500s I knew of, garbage. They may (or not) have fixed the problem, but of all the Remington 870s I have (from 1964, bought used in late 1970's) to the "new" (used but looked perfect, about five years ago) Express, and all the others I still have, I have never had a single problem.

When a guy I know brought in the "hog lot 870" (farmer leaned it up in the fence, the pigs knocked it down and buried it in pig bubblegum. A year later he cleans the lot and found it), we boiled the bubblegum out of it (literally, there was no stock so just dropped it in the tank and boiled it), replaced the springs (nearly all worked fine! But it was 100% torn down, springs are cheap, so why not?) and new wood, reblued. Gun worked fine! It's a great shooter!

Owned or shot nearly everything out there, the only gun to compete with the 870 is the Win Model 12 pump/Ithaca 51 auto in my book. Don't like the Rem 1100 (auto), Ithaca 37 is good, didn't like the Win. 1200/1300. Don't waste money on other stuff, get a Rem 870, new or used you can NOT wear one out. Maybe a Browning BPS (basically a copy of the Ithica 37) might work too, they are nice.

If Remington would put their action release and safety in the correct place I would be interested in Remington shotguns. As it is I perfer Mossberg's and have never had any issues with mine. Just my personal opinion.

I own 2 mossberg 500's, a 20 and a 12 gauge, never had a failure. Shot many a round of trap with them. As they have a pretty solid reputation for reliability over many decades, just like the 870, I find your experience a little disturbing.

Mossberg 500: I think their a good value. I bought my first one (20 ga.)in 1976. Still have it, modified it a number of years back, and is still working as a HD gun now. Never an issue. Same with the 12 ga. I bought two years later. Sold it to buy another gun, but never any issues. Note, I always take them down for clean and inspect after use. My 2 cents.

Moss 500 20ga HD.jpg

I'd but one if I could find one in a retail shop, but most are gone. Would have a preference for a Winchester or Remington though. I'd like the 20 with a 26 or 28 barrel for turkey. I have Savage 67 in 20 now and that is a great HD toy. Phred's design is great.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to pick up a Mossberg 500. The Marine Corps have used them for decades, and when I say used I mean put through the paces, ran hard and put away wet (figure of speech). They just plain run and run and run. I have a tactical / police from the early 80's that has at least six or seven cases of buckshot and a few hundred slugs under it's belt and it runs like the day it was new. I have a couple of friends who have the same experience, but that experience pales to the tens of thousands of guns the military has used throughout the years with good results.

Mossberg has built over 11 million 500/590's compared to the 6 million 870's from Remington. That's a big number especially considering that the 500 came out about a decade after the 870. The main reason police used so many Remington's is that they were sold below cost most of the time, as a loss leader to get other departmental business.

This is not meant to say the 870 is a poor choice or a bad shotgun, it's not either. But, the top tang safety alone makes the 500 a much better choice unless you are pistol gripping the gun. The location of the action release is better on the 500, the dual extractors are better and they were out with dual action bars before Remington.

So, either will work very well, they both have a huge aftermarket supplying the gun and they both have good track records ... I just personally thing the Mossberg does it all a little bit better than the Remi.

FWIW!

I hope this helps!

Last Edited:
I need to make a clarification on my post. I did have an issue with the stock safety switch. The Mossberg switch was ( maybe still is ? ) made of plastic, and it cracked at the mounting screw hole. I suspect others have had this problem too, and Pro-Mag has made a steel replacement. It fits all 500/590/835/and 930 models.
This is something that Mossberg shouldn't have skimped on. But it is an easy fix.

The 590 has a metal trigger guard and safety button. For the standard 500 they use a plastic than can crack if overtightened. Older 500 have all metal.

As @Phred stated, there are aftermarket buttons and guards available and are easy to install. Brownells lists several.

I have a Mossberg Maverick and would recommend it to anybody looking for a budget 12 gauge, it's going turkey hunting with me this year too. Obviously there are nicer shotguns out there but for a low cost shotgun I love it, maybe even more than my 870:eek:

All I can find in the Mossberg Maverick at BiMart for $210 when years ago they were $88. Any other ideas? Thanks....
If you can suffice with a single shot, they can be had for closer to that $88 dollar mark than a pump these days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top