JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good gas block set screws are pretty cheap as well.
Or you can get a couple buddies together and pay 36 cents for two vs 4 bucks.

Pointed Set Screw (Gas Block) 10-32x 3/16 Part. No. 90289A337

I emailed PSA to see if they can tell me that gas port size.
Good luck with that. I'm betting one of two things will happen here, they will either have no clue or act like it is a guard secret and give you some song and dance routine about "proprietary trade information". If you would like to bring your AR by I can take a look at it and pin gage your gas port and hook you up with a couple of the above linked set screws, PM me. I'm in Oregon City near I-205/99E.

Here's a list of different barrel gas port sizes for reference.

Most seem to think it's a closely guarded secret and give a vague description like, gas port sized for optimal use.
Faxon determines gas port size by using a dry phosphate BCG with steel ammo and ends up being .081" on a 16" mid length.

I don't shoot steel ammo and I don't shoot them dry so I don't need an over sized gas port.

Fair enough.

Not sure what you mean by the buffer hitting the back of the buffer tube. It's supposed to do that. Adding a heavier spring and or buffer will work to prevent this. If it doesnt, that is known as "short stroking", which can lead to malfunctions. Changing the buffer can make the rifle feel less "sharp" and it can help reduce felt recoil. You could buy 1-3 heavier buffers. Run one heavier at a time and stop once you are having issues. Try this with many different brands of ammo. One might work well all the way to an H3 and the next ammo won't run a H1. Jeremy at Lucky Sporting Goods in Banks @LuckySG rents out a full set of buffers to test in your gun. He would be a great place to stop by at on the next trip out. Once done, he can get you the weight you need ordered up easy peasy.

Just about any aftermarket trigger is going to make a noticeable difference in improving the felt trigger pull. It can assist to aid in improving the shooters ability to make accurate shots. If you stop by Jeremy's, he likely has a few ARs with different triggers you can feel up.

Learned something new today. It is a relief to learn that. I am even more less worried about it or upgrading(still excited to upgrade the trigger). What a great service, valuable. Send him a message first and I'll pop by there as soon as I can, that is really good to know. I pass through Banks often. That is also pretty convenient. You put this into an excellent perspective for me thank you.

May have more questions later. I always do.

Or you can get a couple buddies together and pay 36 cents for two vs 4 bucks.

Pointed Set Screw (Gas Block) 10-32x 3/16 Part. No. 90289A337

Good luck with that. I'm betting one of two things will happen here, they will either have no clue or act like it is a guard secret and give you some song and dance routine about "proprietary trade information". If you would like to bring your AR by I can take a look at it and pin gage your gas port and hook you up with a couple of the above linked set screws, PM me. I'm in Oregon City near I-205/99E.
This is the best forum I have ever been on.
Thank you, I may take you up on that offer.

PSA sent one of the lowers to my FFL(Oregon Arms) under an incorrect name so that was not fun to remedy. If they did reply with the exact info that be a miracle or wrong info. I am still happy with the PSA rifles though.

Oregon City? I shot with an active duty personal in Salmonberry not too long ago. If I remember correctly, he was also staying in Oregon City. His scope alone cost more than my rifle, car and everything else I had with me.

Here's a list of different barrel gas port sizes for reference.

Most seem to think it's a closely guarded secret and give a vague description like, gas port sized for optimal use.
Faxon determines gas port size by using a dry phosphate BCG with steel ammo and ends up being .081" on a 16" mid length.

I don't shoot steel ammo and I don't shoot them dry so I don't need an over sized gas port.
That is a ridiculous Stormy Daniels size gas port.

Looking for product recommendations(Trigger, Buffer, Spring) for my PSA complete 10.5" and 18" AR15. Both the 10.5 and 18" have Magpul Moe stocks. Both the 10.5" and 18" came with identical standard buffers and standard buffer springs.

For the 18", I was thinking of a flat wire spring and H1 buffer. There are so many products, brands and types im not sure what I actually need or what will fit / cYale. I am also not sure if I should get carbine length or rifle length springs for the 18".

Regarding the 10.5, I was thinking of a H2 buffer and flatwire spring. I was told the sprinco blue, Geissele Super 42, tubb flatwire are good. I just don't know which size/type/brand would cycle reliably on my 10.5".

I am looking for a trigger for both. Is the MBT2S a good replacement for a PSA trigger? Or is it too similar and not worth swapping out the PSA EPT trigger?

I asked this same question elsewhere so if it sounds familiar it's just I didn't get the responses or help I wanted on other sites (like Reddit).

I am trying to do my own research but I am lost. I'm hoping someone can post me some links and suggests parts for my 10.5 and 18 inch ARs.

Thank you for your time.
Call 503-929-7006 ask for Jim, and I'm betting he can help you. I'm old and not into AR funny looking guns. Good Luck.

Go with the spring first, then the buffer.

Going to get differing opinions, but H and H1 buffers are generally too light...start with H2. If you have to go with a H or H1 and/or a light spring, generally the system is under gassed.

Stay away from adjustable gas blocks, not necessary...just one more thing that needs attention. If you don't regularly turn the adjustment, it will carbon up and lock in place over time.

I use Sprinco springs for both action and extractor. have some going on 20 years...and still holding their rated value.

Carbine length gas systems batter the rifle pretty well. Slow down the action with a Blue spring as mentioned above...then try a heavier buffer. The ejection pattern doesn't always tell you what's going on.

For extractor springs...4 coil for mid-length or longer, 5 coil for carbine and shorter...and loose the dang o-ring.

If you want to try a Sprinco spring, PM me and I'll send you one...no charge...you won't look at another spring.
I just started looking into buffer and spring replacements for my 10.5", and would like to do it properly.. I think i've settled on a Sprinco blue spring and an H3 buffer (H3 so I can switch out weights with my current mil-spec buffer)
What are you referring to when you mention extractor springs and o-rings??

A 10.5" barrel is a violent upper even with a normal gas port size...
One of the reasons I use a 556 gun with no buffer. I like the recoil impulse of the bufferless 10.5" better than a standard 16" AR when shooting in head to head comparison.

Also it fits in a standard backpack or sling pack (using folding or telescopic brace or stock) because it is the same size as an mp5 (mp5 with no stock/brace attached). PWS short stroke gas piston (brn-180) upper.

Pics from internet:
6947521B-E15A-4D97-88A7-5664BC5D9806.jpeg
90F62D45-05A2-49CF-AD8B-6AFE4271ABD1.jpeg

Last Edited:
I just started looking into buffer and spring replacements for my 10.5", and would like to do it properly.. I think i've settled on a Sprinco blue spring and an H3 buffer (H3 so I can switch out weights with my current mil-spec buffer)
What are you referring to when you mention extractor springs and o-rings??
When you service the BCG, which you should...when removing the extractor, you'll notice a o-ring around the spring. This o-ring was added decades ago for the Mark 18 10.3-10.5 inch barrels. The cyclic rate caused erratic extraction, so someone added the o-ring for extra pressure on the extractor to help with reliable extraction. Am surprised they are still being used...as I've seen a few come apart and cause problems.

Thus, replacing the extractor spring with the appropriate type as mentioned above fixes the problem.

I know, I'm going to hear from some people...I've shot my AR x amount of rounds without a problem...am happy for ya.

With all this doohickering and parts slapping, it might make more sense to have built a rifle from the ground up and avoid turning cheap rifles into expensive cheap rifles and a junk drawer of barely used parts

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top