JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait, isnt the aluminum cased ammo still berdan-primed and not reloadable? Or has something changed over the years?
My understanding is that aluminum cases tend to crack far more easily than brass when being reloaded. ie belling the top just a bit for seating the bullet.

So much less worthwhile for reloading, vs brass.

I reload lots of steel case 7.62x39. There are pros and cons like with anything, but with due diligence steel makes a fine reloaded round. Berdan primes of course.

Do you deprime hydraulically? Also, are the primer pockets the same size as boxer type primers?

1685887607506.png

You can reload aluminum once but it's a bigger pain than it's worth.
Oh, other than the minor hassle of depriming I have reloaded aluminum cased 9mm & .45 for low end, one time only, 'let 'em fly' field ammo for many years now.

I find a few aluminum cases here and there at shooting spots and deprime them as I get them, tumble and put in storage so when time comes reloading them is SOP.

Last Edited:
Yesterday, I stopped at Sportsman's Warehouse again. Normally, I don't go in there. However, I've been clearing blackberry brush at one of my daughter's places, which is nearby. Every week. Sometimes I stop at SW to check.

SW keeps a paper out on the gun counter of what they have in the way of primers and powder. I stood at the counter for about five minutes. I saw that IMR 4198 was available, and I can use some. They also had SPP and SRP of various types.

I couldn't get service due to the customers ahead of me. Two guys from India, who needed to have explained to them the difference between a pump action and semi-automatic shotgun. Do they really sell guns to people this ignorant about guns?? I guess money is money. But I left, they didn't get my money this time.

Had a friend in high school who's father was a high ranking gov't official for the Shah of Iran.
When the Aiatollah (sp) took over in the late 1970's, they were granted asylum in the USA.
My friend was a resident alien, and was able to purchase a rifle on his 18th birthday. Did it all legally by the books.

Had a friend in high school who's father was a high ranking gov't official for the Shah of Iran.
When the Aiatollah (sp) took over in the late 1970's, they were granted asylum in the USA.
My friend was a resident alien, and was able to purchase a rifle on his 18th birthday. Did it all legally by the books.
Thanks for reminding me how old I am. I remember Jimmy Carter. And his brother Billy. Who remembers Billy beer? 😆

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top