JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've inherited a few rifles from my fathers passing and I need some advice. I have a Cooper Arms Varmiter model 21 .223 and a newer model Winchester model 70 Cabelas addition .257 Roberts . I don't think they were shot much, certainly not hunted. They do have some wear from the safe.

I rarely varmit Or deer hunt or target shoot so it seems like a waste to have them rotting in the safe. Can anyone help with some pricing advice? I'm not looking to get cash but may want to sell one to get a new Duck gun.

You can look up the price for the guns, if you were to buy them new,and base what you would want for them. Some people try to get new price for used guns, and sit on them for a while. This is a call you will have to make. Good luck which every way you go.

The price of the Cooper can vary a lot based on the options and the quality of the stock. Plain models sell as low as $1200 on up. A new one sells for $2000 or so. Many people list them used for new prices but unless the stock is awesome they rarely sell. Post a pic...I could be interested.

You could trade outright a rifle for your new duck gun , instead of trying to sell.
If you have no money in the rifles , then trading something that is worth more , for something worth less , but useful to you might be a way to go.
Andy

You could trade outright a rifle for your new duck gun
Uh yeah, maybe a few? :D
My Benelli was $1600 and you can go up from there if you wanted a new under/over. But used shotties are WAY below the price of a nice Cooper
That Cooper should get you a really nice shot gun.Like Otter said they vary with what model and grade they are,but if you trade for a shotgun,remember that shotguns are hard to sell at gun shows. Especially this time of year. (end of duck season?)
Some vendors carry the same shotguns around for a year or more.
Get the model and grade figured out before you price the Cooper. Look on GunBroker for prices and figure 80% of new depending on condition.
Problem with the model 70 is the caliber. Not thee favorite caliber of all times. It is kinda popular but to the right crowd. The Cabelas part means nothing unless it has some goodies with it.
Maybe the $500 range for the M70? They can be had for the $600 range I believe, new.
Good luck

A good time to sell and get top dollar is a month before Christmas and before hunting seasons.
Those times people are looking for new hunters or new firearms. However often after hunting season you see a flood of rifles up for sale. Thats been my experience. If you can wait to sell when the market is better you might get top dollar then. I am involved pretty heavy in local private sales and near everything right now is hunting this and that . Of course your area may vary

If he's trading then it won't matter much and that time of year is 12 months away now.
But tax time is coming and those that are lucky enough to get money back may be looking for guns

All great points. Thanks to you all for the advise. I'm thinking I may try and put the Cooper up her and see what happens. Hopefully that would get me a new duck gun. I have a couple quick pics but they aren't great. I need to clean it and take more.

20151216_171707.jpg

20151216_171718.jpg

20151216_171728.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There also is a group on FB for Oregon hunters to sell.
I think called Long Range Hunters of Oregon. Buy/Sell/Trade
Not to take anything away from NWFA its just a pretty new group that have some high end stuff there too.

Some sites are more focused on certain types of guns. NWFA is a great site for what I would call 2A/Liberty focus while other sites are more hunting rifle focused. Its rifle loonies that buy something like a 257 Roberts these days. 24hr is full of rifle loonies. Some guys on there have more money tied up into one hunting rifle than some guys on here have tied up into a collection.

From KIFARU forums:http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=19999&page=3
"I go to 24hcf some, and the air there is never as civil as here, there are more problems with folks stiffing one another on deals":eek:

Not my experience after 7 years on the fire. Just post good pics, explain your preferred payment method, and ship in a timely manner. If someone stiffs someone on there, people post the perps info and members from that area will make that person's life miserable. I've seen it.

24hr is not moderated very closely and you definitely have to wear your big boy pants there.

The condition of the stock compromises the value in my eyes to the point I am not interested. It is not the Montana Varminter stock which would add resale value.

I'm pretty typical of someone that buys high end rifles and the condition of the stock and metal is very important to the value. If you could touch up the stock some that might help, but that big pucker on the right side of the butt is going to lower the value.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top