JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there any active practical rifle shooting in Northwest Washington? I'm hoping to find something out on the Olympic Penninsula, but anything within reasonable driving time of Kingston or Port Townsend, Sequim would be great!

Tri-county gun club near Sherwood (15 minutes south of portland) has a really good practical rifle group that also has precision/sniper matches occasionally. Great bunch of guys who all seem to disdain the attitude problems so often associated with IPSC matches. They fellows all seem to share theory, how they plan to shoot the stages and any prima-dona types don't last long there. If you are thinking about participating, it is lots of fun, and easy to find someone to "mentor" you along.

Douglas ridge rifle club also has 3 gun matches, they are about a half hour east of portland. Both Tri-county, and douglas ridge have web sites with lots of info.

Tri-county gun club near Sherwood (15 minutes south of portland) has a really good practical rifle group that also has precision/sniper matches occasionally. Great bunch of guys who all seem to disdain the attitude problems so often associated with IPSC matches. They fellows all seem to share theory, how they plan to shoot the stages and any prima-dona types don't last long there. If you are thinking about participating, it is lots of fun, and easy to find someone to "mentor" you along.

I shoot Speed Steel and PR at TCGC. I don't really like the drive to DR.

I wish there was something in SW WA.

Yep, the drive to Douglas ridge does take a while, but it is the only place I know of within 2 hours drive of Portland where you can shoot 800, 900, and 1000 yards. The people I have met there are pretty friendly. Even though I am not a member there, I was invited to shoot there when I met a couple of Douglas ridge members at Tri-county's Tuesday evening 600 yard shoot.

Can you give me any directions to Custer, or a contact person to find out about the tactical rifle matches? All the shooting is fun, I just would like to know which type of rifle to bring.

I watched a round of the practical rifle match a few weeks ago, quite impressive. Makes me want to purchase my own rifle specifically for the event.

At the match yesteday, the pin that holds the extractor into the bolt on my AR-15 broke so I didn't finish stage 4. My rifle wouldn't extract and left with me with double trouble jams after every shot. I had never heard of that being a part that needed replacement or checking before. I know you are supposed to check gas rings, springs, end of gas tube for wear,and general function things, but does anyone know why in the world the extractor pin would break in half? Or was it just Murphy's law at work?

Thanks, so did I. I had a complete extra rifle, but I had already told the scorekeeper that I was done with the stage, so my score was already set. I just wanted to stop shooting before something blew up and hurt anyone as I didn't know what was causing the problem before I took it apart. Now I want to figure out if there was a reason causing that wierd part to fail, or if it is just one of those things that occasionally happens to mechanical devices.

Thanks, so did I. I had a complete extra rifle, but I had already told the scorekeeper that I was done with the stage, so my score was already set. I just wanted to stop shooting before something blew up and hurt anyone as I didn't know what was causing the problem before I took it apart. Now I want to figure out if there was a reason causing that wierd part to fail, or if it is just one of those things that occasionally happens to mechanical devices.

Was it an Oly or RRA bolt assembly?

It was a standard (not hard chromed) bolt assembly on a Bushmaster rifle. The rifle probably has less than a thousand rounds on it.. I checked my other rifles, and everything looks fine. The extractor fits correctly and the rear face of the extractor groove doesn't protrude forward of the bolt face. I thought if the rear extractor groove was in front of the bolt face it might put pressure on the pin... But everything fits like it is supposed to. I also replaced the extractor spring, and the little fiber thingy inside the spring.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top