JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been living here for a few years but I normally go with friends/family that live on the other side of Portland to other locations, was wondering if anyone knows some good spots on my side.

I do most of my shooting up above St.Helens I cant really tell you how to get there by road names i just know where i wanna go. Just get a GPS and go for a sunday drive and look around there is plenty of spots up there just gotta find one you like. As I said take a gps so you dont get lost its not hard to do up there.

I wish I knew, I live in the north end of St. Helens, and I always hear quite a bit of shooting being done in the direction of the quarry, it sounds like there is a range, but I have searched and I can never find anything, maybe it is the police range.
There are many roads up in the hills that end on gated logging roads, but I have never gone shooting up there, it is hard to say, sometimes, if you are on publically owned forest, or someone's property.

I wish I knew, I live in the north end of St. Helens, and I always hear quite a bit of shooting being done in the direction of the quarry, it sounds like there is a range, but I have searched and I can never find anything, maybe it is the police range.
There are many roads up in the hills that end on gated logging roads, but I have never gone shooting up there, it is hard to say, sometimes, if you are on publically owned forest, or someone's property.
Go up Pittsburg road far enough it turns to gravel and just start exploring you will find spots but like i said before a GPS to get you back home is not a bad idea. One of my good buddies lives in St. Helens and has his whole life and knows those woods very well i usually follow him to places so i really cant say how to find them.

Go up Pittsburg road far enough it turns to gravel and just start exploring you will find spots but like i said before a GPS to get you back home is not a bad idea. One of my good buddies lives in St. Helens and has his whole life and knows those woods very well i usually follow him to places so i really cant say how to find them.

Thanks, I have lived here for ten years, and before that, Scappoose, and I can say you are correct, there are a labyrinth of roads up in the hills. I once asked a local police officer where I could safely go shooting, but he wasn't very receptive, his answer was a blunt "I don't know." It was probably a liability thing.

Thanks, I have lived here for ten years, and before that, Scappoose, and I can say you are correct, there are a labyrinth of roads up in the hills. I once asked a local police officer where I could safely go shooting, but he wasn't very receptive, his answer was a blunt "I don't know." It was probably a liability thing.
The place i usually go is up the scapp-vern rd like 7 miles or so then take a right on a road then a left on another then out to the woods i never have paid attention to the road names i just know where to turn.

If your shooting around Scappoose area then you better watch out for what the locals call the "woods cop". He is a state cop and will write you a ticket if you go off the main logging roads. Also the entire area has signs posted by Longview Longfibre timber company saying specifically "no target practicing". I had a close call up there and I've never been back. Just too risky. Plus theres alot of private property up there so you always have to worry about that safety rule of knowing whats beyond your target. Your taking some big chances if you go up there.

The only guy I have ever run into up there was a forrest patrol i think was his title and he was just checking to see we werent going to leave a bunch of garbage up there.

The place i usually go is up the scapp-vern rd like 7 miles or so then take a right on a road then a left on another then out to the woods i never have paid attention to the road names i just know where to turn.

Heh. That's generally how it works with my shooting spots. Heaven help me if I have to tell anybody actual road names or mileage.

We went to our spot Saturday and was shocked to see every gate we passed was open. Usually they are all closed. The spot i use doesent have a gate but its a very short dead end road so no need to gate i guess.

Been living here for a few years but I normally go with friends/family that live on the other side of Portland to other locations, was wondering if anyone knows some good spots on my side.

I know that this thread is a bit, um, old - but I, too, have been searching for a place to shoot here in Columbia County - which is how I found your thread. I have since become a member of NWFA and have found a spot out Pittsburgh road:

Coordinates: 45.893450, -123.046202;
CONFIRMED that site resides on State Forest land is legal to shoot!
=======================================================
Target shooting is a recreational activity enjoyed by many Oregonians. While shooting activity is permitted on state forestlands, ODF does not maintain any designated shooting areas.
Please select your shooting area with care and follow state regulations, which are enforced by local law enforcement. Target shooters are also encouraged to reduce the risk of wildfire by only shooting into a backstop of mineral soil and having the required fire extinguisher (or shovel and water) ready at hand. After shooting, be sure to check the target area for any signs of fire.

Rules & regulations:
--------------------
1)Targets must be either commercially manufactured or home manufactured paper targets.
2)A solid backstop such as an earth embankment is required.
3)Shooting at garbage and glass is prohibited.
4)Target shooting is prohibited between dusk and dawn.
5)Exploding targets such as tannerite are prohibited.
6)You are responsible for removing all of your targets, shells and related debris.

State of Oregon: Recreation - Target Shooting

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads