JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pick your intended public land use jurisdiction. Be it state, federal, USFS, WMA or other... all have "daylight" hour restrictions on shooting... except when permitted under special circumstance/permission. It's one of those universally adopted rules that is safe to assume is in effect unless specifically allowed to the contrary.
I wouldn't assume that much. There's a lot of assumptions that control people's behavior even though there isn't a law about it.

For example, my dad thought there was a law for how much ammunition a hunting gun could hold for big game in Washington. I'm not aware of any actual law about that despite my efforts to find it. There's a law for bird hunting, but not big game. When it comes to the laws, if it isn't specifically stated illegal, it's therefore legal. I was just perusing the Oregon websites and there wasn't a mention of daylight/night hours (not that there couldn't be mentioned elsewhere)

I wouldn't assume that much. There's a lot of assumptions that control people's behavior even though there isn't a law about it.

For example, my dad thought there was a law for how much ammunition a hunting gun could hold for big game in Washington. I'm not aware of any actual law about that despite my efforts to find it. There's a law for bird hunting, but not big game. When it comes to the laws, if it isn't specifically stated illegal, it's therefore legal. I was just perusing the Oregon websites and there wasn't a mention of daylight/night hours (not that there couldn't be mentioned elsewhere)
My thoughts exactly. I haven't seen anything that specific in my searches

I was just perusing the Oregon websites and there wasn't a mention of daylight/night hours (not that there couldn't be mentioned elsewhere)

My thoughts exactly. I haven't seen anything that specific in my searches
Again, you need to search under the jurisdictional authority for the area you plan to visit. Not every state will have laws on the books that is already covered by the actual governing authority, but when it comes to shooting hours, I can guarantee you it is most certainly there.

You're not looking hard enough. ;)

I'd talk to this place, or a place like it and see about using their action bay after sunset. Their website says they aren't open after sunset, but I see no reason why they couldn't be other than an arbitrary rule that could change. They might already have some sort of night vision group there. Shooting at 7pm during the summer is no different than shooting at 7pm during the winter except there's less daylight and it's colder.

I'd talk to this place, or a place like it and see about using their action bay after sunset. Their website says they aren't open after sunset, but I see no reason why they couldn't be other than an arbitrary rule that could change. They might already have some sort of night vision group there. Shooting at 7pm during the summer is no different than shooting at 7pm during the winter except there's less daylight and it's colder.
Been there, decent range and there is going to be a night shoot match there in a couple weeks I believe, long wait list to be a member though

They may be limited by county or state laws in which they exist. It's not about what time it is... it's about when the sun rises or sets. I'm most certain they would know exactly what they are allowed to permit and what they are not... if you contact them directly.

Been there, decent range and there is going to be a night shoot match there in a couple weeks I believe, long wait list to be a member though
That's a bummer. Doesn't seem like there is a perfect solution. You'd need to know someone with private land or someone else mentioned earlier that you be in Oregon forest managed land and might shoot "a little later" than 30 minutes after sunset and it probably wouldn't be an issue, but it's not ideal.

They may be limited by county or state laws in which they exist. It's not about what time it is... it's about when the sun rises or sets. I'm most certain they would know exactly what they are allowed to permit and what they are not... if you contact them directly.
Yep, make sense. The range I go to shooting can go until 8pm because it gets into noise ordinance territory after that, but up until 8pm regardless of time of year, fire away.

I'm a little late on this thread and should have posted this on page 1, but what was said by @Yarome , @American123 and @Koda , is correct. Shooting on public land is prohibited after sunset.

Here's a list of links to forest management agencies in Oregon and Washington.
Trash No Land Shooting Regs

There are some specific spots that restrict shooting between certain hours, like not before 9 AM or after 5 PM, so search the specific forest name before you go.

However, I have yet to find ANY public land in OR or WA that allows shooting at night. Best take it to an official range.

Bill

i have some low light spots. small group, must have a suppressor and of course nods. pm for details.

don't need to illuminate targets, shoot steel. hunting season is winding down so when that's over it's just a lot of forlorn empty country.

Other than that, you can rock airsoft if you just want reps you can swap your optic and LAM onto a trainer.

as far as DNR/ODFW regs: if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top