JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to this board having just posted my introduction in the new members section.

I have just purchased a Glock 30SF and know next to nothing about firearms having only fired about 20 rounds in my life. These were specifically from a shotgun shooting clay pigeons and I have never shot a handgun. Before I even put a round into it I would like to get some training on proper use so I don't do something stupid. I have searched high and low but the only classes that I can find are during the weekends which doesn't work for me because of my work schedule. I have found the 3 hour classes for a CHL during the evenings on weekdays. The only drawback with these is that they do not offer any hands on range work which I see as a requirement based on my complete lack of experience.

Does anyone know of any classes/training offered during the week? It could be nights or during the day. I live in Portland, OR but would be willing to drive anywhere within 50 miles.

Thank you for any assistance anyone can offer me.

Jason

I recommended OFA in your other thread, but given your scheduling constraints I might try <broken link removed> . You can take set classes or get private instruction, so either way you should be able to find something that works for you. Again, I commend your decision to get professional training. Thank you for being a responsible armed citizen.

Hey there Dano! Didn't realize you guys were doing Monday classes.

Jason,

If it fits your schedule and you can find a way to get a class in that meets the basic handgun safety prerequisite before hand, DH1 would be a great place for you to start - I would highly recommend it. I would also try and make time to take OFAs basic class in the future, because particularly in the legal area it is light years ahead of what you're likely going to get out of any 3 hour or half day CHL class.

Jason, congrats on your new purchase and you willingness to get proper training with it. While OFA is outside your 50 mile radius, it would be an incredible learning experience for you, basics, safety, legal and range time...

Having only taken 2 classes with OFA, Basic Handgun (already familiar with firearms and a CHL holder) and DH1, I would recommend them to anyone that asked for training, as time allows I will be taking more classes with them.

Chris

Welcome to the forum, and to the world of shooting!

...I would like to get some training on proper use so I don't do something stupid.

As a welcome gift, here's Lesson 1, absolutely free:

The Four Rules

1) All guns are always loaded.

2) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

3) Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.

4) Don't point the gun at anything you're not willing to kill or destroy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top