JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up some CCI stingers for the squirrels and other pests around my place. I noticed on the box they are moving about 400 fps faster and are lighter than the 40gr 1240fps Im sighted in for. Im dead on at 20 yards which gives me real good accuracy out to 60. Head shots on squirrels... I havent had a chance to put some stingers on paper so Im wanting to hear you guys experience with stinger trajectory compared to standard .22lr... Thanks a bunch,
Brandon

Perhaps Stingers have been improved since I last tried them (about 10 years ago), but the accuracy of them was nothing short of deplorable in every .22 I own (if you count your guns you have a problem, but probably 8-12 .22's: rifle and pistol around here).

Yes, they are "minute of jackrabbit" at 50 yards, and so most shooters may never know of the failing. Also, I have heard from some people that the accuracy in their guns is "acceptable". I'd reserve judgement until I saw their targets.

CCI Mini Mag Hollowpoints are not the most accurate .22 cartridges out there, but they are generally more accurate than most High Velocity offerings in most of my guns, and they are always available, and so that is what I most usually shoot (for hunting purposes) in most my guns. Out of my early Ruger M77-22, I can consistently achieve 50 yd groups hovering around the 1/2 inch size. Stingers out of the same gun go to 2" or greater! With an accurate heavy revolver (Colt Trooper MKIII 6"), it is actually difficult to keep 6 Stinger shots on a piece of notebook paper at 25 yds. (Mini mags will group at about 2" or less off the bags).

Perhaps things have improved of late, and I certainly would not ignore anyone's satisfactory results with Stingers, but I have not seen any yet. For the hunter that wants devastating impact results with lesser importance toward accuracy, Stingers may well fill the bill.

Accuracy will suffer.. they really are intended as self defense loads for mouseguns. If you want accuracy I would try Eley or Armscorp

While the 'early' Stingers suffered from accuracy issues it seems that CCI has addressed this issue pretty well. While they won't Group as well as the Green Tag ammo from the same Company they will usually hold MOA in most of my guns. Especially my S&W Model 41 - with several different barrels - and with the extra speed they shoot pretty flat so I would "Zero" at 50 meters(or half of whatever you consider your max range) and you'll find that you won't have to make any sight corrections; except possibly for a High Wind. You might also want to try the CCI Quick Shok which comes in two loading. A 40gr. that is sub-sonic(very effective when used with a Suppressor) at 1050fps and a 32gr. that is loaded up to 1640fps. Both of these use what CCI calls a "Segmented" bullet which is designed to come apart into three pieces. I can say that they do work on small to medium sized critters even when using the sub-sonic loading with a Suppressor. Mike

I used to shoot a Remington 513T in small bore competition. The 10 ring was .250" and you'd better shoot 100 points (10 shots) from the prone position. Standard velocity was the ammunition of choice. Anything else was less accurate at 50 feet.

CCI Velocitor > Stinger

also don't use Stringer on match grade barrel. it will damage the chamber due to slightly longer casing than others.

In my 10/22 very poor. In my minty old Mossberg with a much longer barrel (I'm too lazy to go measure it) pretty good. I much prefer Remington Yellow Jackets all around! Good luck with the CCI's.

Hey thanks for the input guys. Im pretty happy with the results I get with the cheap federal hp. I just picked up the stingers cause I heard they were hotter and Bi-mart had them on sale. Ill just through them in the shtf pile just in case. I guess if I want hotter Ill just shoot the little bastards with the 223...lol

Disappointed. I came into this thread expecting advice on how to use this: Stinger.jpg

And instead its a thread about this: 199998.jpg

0/10

Stinger.jpg

199998.jpg

I have a 10-22 highly modified with a Butler Creek barrel, hogue overmolded stock, Volquartsen trigger group, and use 25 round stick magazines. It runs yellow jackets all day without a hiccup. You need to tune your action to feed smoothly!

Wont feed at all in either of my Clerke heavy barrelled 10/22s. One of them feeds almost anything else

For the stingers to shoot with much better accuracy you need a 1:18 twist barrel with a stinger chamber.
Most of the chambers in the 1:16 twist barrels are too short except some sporter chambers that I have seen are deep enough
but sloppy loose.

Another factor that leans me toward CCI Mini Mag hollowpoints for hunting .22 ammo is the tests I have done regarding expansion in various media (water jugs, wet phone books, etc.). The Federal bulk hollowpoints are not very reliable for expansion, sometimes not expanding at all. (The more expensive Federal High Power offering may do better, and they are VERY accurate).

CCI Mini Mag Hollowpoints will not only expand EVERY TIME, they also hang together and mushroom nearly perfectly, much like a big game bullet. (This is probably not what a lot of shooters are looking for in a hollowpoint, but it is what I prefer: instant expansion, then integrity to penetrate). They will almost always travel through a treed raccoon skull, and lodge under the far side of the brain pan; I have about 10-12 recovered examples of this consistency.

My experience with testing and hunting with Maxi-Mags (CCI's .22 WRM offering) is less than satisfactory: failure to expand on a number of hunting occasions, and in media. I find the old Winchester 40g Hollowpoint to be the reliability for expansion (and better accuracy) I look for.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top