JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for an evening class that satisfies the Oregon CHL requirements. Seems all I find are Saturday classes. I'm WA resident but want to get OR lic.

Once I have the class done, what County would you recommend that I should apply to?

Thank you,

Bill

Columbia County:)
During the crazy times last year, the sheriff continued to process residents and non-residents alike on a first come first serve basis. Other counties ignored out of state for a spell.
I would rather send my fees to a county like Columbia.

Perfect, Quacky. I think I'll do it. Thank you. Funny, it says only 40 min to get through the class. I plan on a lot more, just because I only have a few min's here and there each evening. Let you know how it went.

Would be nice to hear if other folks have done this on line class and what they think of it.

Bill

Glad to help Bill. I only recommend it because I've used it and was happy how quick and convenient it was. 40 mins is an exaggeration, I think 20 mins while eating lunch or dinner would be closer to reality...

I'm assuming you already have a WA CHL and a knowledge and comfort level with firearms. From an educational standpoint the class is minimal and suggest resources such as OFF to familiarize yourself with OR CHL rules, restrictions, lethal force ect. Knowledge is power;).

For someone entering into the world of firearms and CC for the first time I believe in at least an 8 hour class with qualified instructor and 3x the range time to not be a liability.

Cheers

Comfort level? All my life. CC? Never. Always open carry. Only needed it in the woods when hunting. No WA CHL, yet. Planning on that as well. (That's the easy one.)

Only reason for both states concealed is because of the news stories everyday. And the fact that I live close to the cities and work in the cities (all of them... all day). If I lived and worked in the country, as I did as a kid, I wouldn't be concerned. Open carry is everyday and perfectly acceptable in the country. However, the city streets are more dangerous, now, than any country road has ever been.

I used to say; never go into the woods without a firearm. Now I say; never go into the city without one.

I'll take a gander at that OFF stuff. I'm sure I'll learn something new!

Thanks,

Bill

Roger that Bill. It's the two legged critters you gotta watch out for... Considering what you've said I think this class will do ya. Hoping to end up in the country myself eventually, a lot more like minded people and some room to stretch. Not to mention range time in the backyard...

I opted for the Utah CHL for the ease and reciprocity so I can CC in the Evergreen state and 33 others legally. Going through the process again with my Wife now. Here's a couple links to get you started. Good luck, Happy Carryin':)

Now the search for the right holster begins....:eek:

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Hello,

Not sure if you have landed on a CHL week night class, if not and within range of Salem look up the Jacobe Group who put on classes every Thursday evening. A good portion of the class (at least it use to be) focuses on firearm safety and also dabbles in the AOJ's (Ability Opportunity and Jeopardy).

I'm looking for an evening class that satisfies the Oregon CHL requirements. Seems all I find are Saturday classes. I'm WA resident but want to get OR lic.

Once I have the class done, what County would you recommend that I should apply to?

Thank you,

Bill
Try "The Place to Shoot" in North Portland. They have a decent indoor range. They also offer very thorough CHL , combat and target training. I also took a course at the gun show in North Portland last year. They offer it 4x per year. Good luck.

The classes are total BS. I've been through the one at MultoCo sheriff's, and have sat through the online course while my wife took it. Basically, the class is a couple hours of "you shoot someone, you'll probably get sued". They will not go over legal issues with you at all. Jump through the hoop, and be done with the hoops, but research the stuff on your own.

A couple things to think of:
1) You're not a cop, you do not have the backing of the city if you shoot someone.
2) Laws in Oregon and Washington do not allow for you to be an aggressor then use deadly force.
3) If you feel that your life is in danger or someone that you care about, by all means, shoot to stop the assailant, otherwise, keep your ego out of things and try to back down. It's much easier to let your ego take a hit then possibly end up in jail.
4) If you decide to intercede on someone's behalf, make 100% sure that it is worth going to jail, I've heard plenty of stories in a domestic disturbance where you go to stop the man from beating on his s/o, and she turns on you.
5) Only pull your firearm if you plan on using it, you might get a brandishing charge if you aren't justified in using deadly force.
6) Plan on defending your actions in court, both civil and criminal if you shoot someone.

For Oregon, read ORS 166 for gun laws, and 161 for use of force laws, I don't remember WA. For the time being, both states are preemptive, and local firearms laws do not impact you if you have a CHL.

Comfort level? All my life. CC? Never. Always open carry. Only needed it in the woods when hunting. No WA CHL, yet. Planning on that as well. (That's the easy one.)

Only reason for both states concealed is because of the news stories everyday. And the fact that I live close to the cities and work in the cities (all of them... all day). If I lived and worked in the country, as I did as a kid, I wouldn't be concerned. Open carry is everyday and perfectly acceptable in the country. However, the city streets are more dangerous, now, than any country road has ever been.

I used to say; never go into the woods without a firearm. Now I say; never go into the city without one.

I'll take a gander at that OFF stuff. I'm sure I'll learn something new!

Thanks,

Bill
If you apply for the Utah permit, you can carry in nearly 27 western states EXCEPT California. Who want's to go there anyway.

The classes are total BS. I've been through the one at MultoCo sheriff's, and have sat through the online course while my wife took it. Basically, the class is a couple hours of "you shoot someone, you'll probably get sued". They will not go over legal issues with you at all. Jump through the hoop, and be done with the hoops, but research the stuff on your own.

1) You're not a cop, you do not have the backing of the city if you shoot someone.
2) Laws in Oregon and Washington do not allow for you to be an aggressor then use deadly force.
3) If you feel that your life is in danger or someone that you care about, by all means, shoot to stop the assailant, otherwise, keep your ego out of things and try to back down. It's much easier to let your ego take a hit then possibly end up in jail.
4) If you decide to intercede on someone's behalf, make 100% sure that it is worth going to jail, I've heard plenty of stories in a domestic disturbance where you go to stop the man from beating on his s/o, and she turns on you.
5) Only pull your firearm if you plan on using it, you might get a brandishing charge if you aren't justified in using deadly force.
6) Plan on defending your actions in court, both civil and criminal if you shoot someone.

For Oregon, read ORS 166 for gun laws, and 161 for use of force laws, I don't remember WA. For the time being, both states are preemptive, and local firearms laws do not impact you if you have a CHL.
Perfect advice.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Oh yea, if you shoot someone, keep your mouth shut, give the cops enough information to make a decision if you are to be charged. Otherwise, wait for your lawyer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top