JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out shopping for a 1911 style hand gun and came across the CZ-97. I like the feel of the hand gun, it fits my hand very nicely and I liked the weight to it, it has a little heft to it. Even the price tag was user friendly. I think that surprised me the most since every other 1911 style was $750 and up. Everything I have read about the CZ-97 makes it sound just as reliable as any other on the market. I am just a hair's breath away from purchasing the gun. Of course I would love to shoot it first but you know how that goes.

Any thoughts, likes, dislikes?

should have posted this in hand gun section.

cz75, sp01 and 97 all similar guns. yes, they are very accurate and reliable.

but you can't go wrong with nicely made 1911.

A CZ 97 is actually built on a design that is closer to a CZ75/85 or even a High Power (it is not a High Power clone) then a 1911. However, as an owner of 4 other CZ handguns, including an original 75 and 85 (non-"B") I do not see how you could go wrong. I have been thinking of adding a 97 to my collection of CZ pistols (I have a CZ52, a CZ 75, a CZ82, and a CZ85 right now.) My BIL has a CZ75 and CZ 97, and he likes his.

I guess that's what makes me a Junior member. I did not scroll down far enough to notice the hand gun section. Thanks for pointing that out and for your opinion.

Nice! Is there anything in particular I should be aware of or should consider buying ahead of time. Like a certain part/piece that would wear out, availability of accessories, ya know those little things a person doesn't think of until you need it.

Nice! Is there anything in particular I should be aware of or should consider buying ahead of time. Like a certain part/piece that would wear out, availability of accessories, ya know those little things a person doesn't think of until you need it.

My experience with CZ in general has been very good. I replaced the barrel on my CZ52 (1953 build) when I got it. (A lot of the 7.62X25 surplus ammo is corrosive) Finding a new barrel was very easy (Brownells). If you can easily find a barrel for a 70 year old CZ, I would bet there isn't anything you can't find for a new one. Other than the CZ52 barrel, I have not had to repair anything on my 4. To my knowledge, MY BIL has not done anything with his 75 or 97 either.

There is an outfit that will do a trigger job on 75s and 97s down in TX, but I never thought my 85 needed anything. Very reliable pistols, from a reliable manufacturer. At least that has been my experience. Accurate too.

It has always been my philosophy, you buy for yourself what fits your hand and feels good to you. My CZ's fit me great, that is why I own 4 of them.

Drawback? Don't know about the CZ 97 specifically, but not everyone that makes custom holsters has molds for them. I got my 75 and 85's holsters from Alessi in NY. (Alessi Gun Holsters) I purchased the 52 and the 82 with holsters. BTW: Alessi custom makes to order, you cannot get one "tomorrow" OK?

When Im at the LGS and I see a CZ i can't resist holding it for a few seconds. I have never held any gun that feels better than a CZ. I've only shot a CZ75 and 85 and they shoot very nice. Cant go wrong in my opinion and once I get a 1911 then I'm getting a CZ. I seem to shoot the CZ better than a 1911 as well, not that I'm much of a shot.

The thing you may want to consider for the 97 is the size of the gun, make sure you hold it and get a feel for it, I am considering a 97 or a Sig 220 but still want to hold the 97 and see how it feels before I make a decision, I've seen numerous videos about the 97 and they all point out its big size.

I've got a 97 BE from cajun gun works. Basically, it's an accuracy tuned 97 that will shoot with any other .45 on the planet. I love it. It fits my hand much better than my 1911, being wider. If you like the way it feels in the hand, you shouldn't hesitate. You should be aware that there is an old style and a new style feed ramp and the new style feeds HPs much better than the old. My new style feeds most HPs just fine. Like with any gun, you need to ensure that the ammo you intend to shoot in it works well. There exist a plethora of tuning options available from cajun, ghost products and others. I love my CZs.

You should be aware that there is an old style and a new style feed ramp and the new style feeds HPs much better than the old. My new style feeds most HPs just fine. Like with any gun, you need to ensure that the ammo you intend to shoot in it works well. There exist a plethora of tuning options available from cajun, ghost products and others. I love my CZs.

That is a most helpful tidbit of information.:s0155: I will watch for that and check out cajun and ghost products.

Well it's complete. I purchased my first CZ97B. Thank you for everyone's insight that gave me the right questions to ask which made making the purchase decision easier. :drink:

I am eager to go to the range alas I will have to wait for next weekend. Today is totally booked.

I've got a 97 BE from cajun gun works. Basically, it's an accuracy tuned 97 that will shoot with any other .45 on the planet. I love it. It fits my hand much better than my 1911, being wider. If you like the way it feels in the hand, you shouldn't hesitate. You should be aware that there is an old style and a new style feed ramp and the new style feeds HPs much better than the old. My new style feeds most HPs just fine. Like with any gun, you need to ensure that the ammo you intend to shoot in it works well. There exist a plethora of tuning options available from cajun, ghost products and others. I love my CZs.

In my experience, picky guns tend to be very accurate with the ammo they like.. I know that is true with my High Standards...extremely picky, also extremely accurate with stuff they will feed everytime. I have not noticed my CZ's being picky, they have had no problem with anything I have fed them (so far), however, I have heard that some have had problems with some ammo also...I just have not experienced this...but then again, the last factory NEW gun I purchased was in 1964.

I finally went to the range and fired my CZ97.........I'm in Looooove with my CZ. From 25ft I was maintaining a nice tight grouping on the target. I found when I fired on DA the trigger was a bit long but smooth. When I concentrated on the trigger pull the round went exactly where it was pointed. The following round on SA tended to be high and to the right. In fact most of the SA shots seemed to follow suit but the grouping was well within a 5 inch diameter. Even with that the grouping still was in the kill zone on the target. At 50ft the grouping was about 8 inch diameter. I'm no expert marksman but I was very pleased none the less with this being my first time firing this weapon.

Thanks to everyone who offered their wisdom so I could make an informed buying decision.

Cheers!!

I finally went to the range and fired my CZ97.........I'm in Looooove with my CZ. From 25ft I was maintaining a nice tight grouping on the target. I found when I fired on DA the trigger was a bit long but smooth. When I concentrated on the trigger pull the round went exactly where it was pointed. The following round on SA tended to be high and to the right. In fact most of the SA shots seemed to follow suit but the grouping was well within a 5 inch diameter. Even with that the grouping still was in the kill zone on the target. At 50ft the grouping was about 8 inch diameter. I'm no expert marksman but I was very pleased none the less with this being my first time firing this weapon.

Thanks to everyone who offered their wisdom so I could make an informed buying decision.

Cheers!!

You made a good choice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top