JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I try to buy local if I can. You can ask at some of the ranges around and some will sell off the mix brass or let you look for the ones you need.

I've purchased "once fired" brass from Midway when they had it and it was OK. Very few "culls".

Also Cheyenne Brass. One thing to watch for in the big Online sources is that they often sell military brass and the primer pockets, even in the 9mm cases, are crimped.

As for local ranges, my local range is selling 50# lots of "sorted range brass by caliber" for $1.10 per pound. For 9mm that's about a penny per piece. Since there are a lot of public shooters that shoot new ammo rather than reload, there is a lot of Winchester, CCI, and R-P brass in the mix. Should be similar for all the clubs near you.

I buy mine on gunbroker.com. Mostly police range pickup, and never got a bad batch. When you realize you can load it several times, the cost per load is really low.

I simply don't reload mixed brass, so I buy matched head stamp, which is most likely to come from police ranges, or ranges where you can shoot only ammo you buy there.

well this is plinking stuff so mixed really doesnt bug me so long as they are proper length and healthy cases

With all due respect, I've never understood the term plinking. Every time I fire a weapon, unless it's to test a mag feeding or something, I'm aiming at something. If I've used mixed brass, I have a buttload of different speeds and pressures and points of impact. If I'm going to the expense of buying reloading components, and the work to clean brass and reload, I want consistent ammo. Again, considering that brass can be reloaded several times, good brass is the cheap part.

plinking from what i understand is basicly just slang for basic simple ammo that doesnt cost a lot but works for the weapon your using it in and wont explode in your face while still maintaining a fair accuracy there only so much accuracy you can gain from a completely stock pistol even using top of the line ammo plus as im trying to get my skills honed as well so cheaper ammo lets me get more practice so to speak

With all due respect, I've never understood the term plinking. Every time I fire a weapon, unless it's to test a mag feeding or something, I'm aiming at something. If I've used mixed brass, I have a buttload of different speeds and pressures and points of impact. If I'm going to the expense of buying reloading components, and the work to clean brass and reload, I want consistent ammo. Again, considering that brass can be reloaded several times, good brass is the cheap part.

This is not a universal result for everyone. I loaded two batches of ammo a couple years ago to see if "mixed brass" really made that much difference in my 9mm. One batch was all "WIN" headstamp (Winchester) and the other batch was random, including CCI, Speer, R-P, and FC, headstamps. All had the same powder charge and bullet type/weight. There was no discernible difference from my CZ75 SP-01 at "Combat Distances" of 7' to 50'. Even groups at 25 yards were more than acceptable. Perhaps not for someone shooting a custom pistol with a scope, expecting less than one inch groups at 25 yards but with open "Iron" sights, more than acceptable.

For someone shooting a 3.5" - 5" barreled 9mm semi-automatic with factory sights there are so many other variables that affect one's "group size" sorting the cases isn't going to make all that much difference.

This is not a universal result for everyone. I loaded two batches of ammo a couple years ago to see if "mixed brass" really made that much difference in my 9mm. One batch was all "WIN" headstamp (Winchester) and the other batch was random, including CCI, Speer, R-P, and FC, headstamps. All had the same powder charge and bullet type/weight. There was no discernible difference from my CZ75 SP-01 at "Combat Distances" of 7' to 50'. Even groups at 25 yards were more than acceptable. Perhaps not for someone shooting a custom pistol with a scope, expecting less than one inch groups at 25 yards but with open "Iron" sights, more than acceptable.

For someone shooting a 3.5" - 5" barreled 9mm semi-automatic with factory sights there are so many other variables that affect one's "group size" sorting the cases isn't going to make all that much difference.
what he said anyways i should been more specific with this post and said something along the line of looking for strictly online sources because this is a gift idea on the xmas list which because im so hard to buy for i have to start so early

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top