JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mossberg Patriot w/walnut stock is nice for a budget gun.
Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) has probably the best action in the budget gun category.

If you want to buy new, I'd go to the gun shops and handle the rifles.
Work the action.
These days, they are all going to shoot well.

Another option is to buy used top-line rifle.
Or second tier like Remington 700 ADL.
You can sometimes find one of these for the price of a new budget gun.
And being a deer rifle, some of them will only have a few rounds shot through them.

@arakboss , keep your eye out for Rem 721, Stevens, Vanguard, or T/C Dimension rifles.
Why don't you just build one?
Build and budget are pretty much mutually exclusive, with the rare exception.
I receny built a 260 Rem with stuff from my parts bin and take-offs from other shooters. It also included virgin Lapua brass. Redding dies and 3 boxes of Partitions. I'm all in at $625. The thing is a laser. I don't know if mine is an exception, but I am pleased with the results.

@arakboss , keep your eye out for Rem 721, Stevens, Vanguard, or T/C Dimension rifles.

Build and budget are pretty much mutually exclusive, with the rare exception.
I receny built a 260 Rem with stuff from my parts bin and take-offs from other shooters. It also included virgin Lapua brass. Redding dies and 3 boxes of Partitions. I'm all in at $625. The thing is a laser. I don't know if mine is an exception, but I am pleased with the results.
I am looking at this one for just over $400 shipped which is more than I wanted to spend but it includes the picatinny rail. I don't dig the camo but I can live with it.

Edit: It is possible that the receiver and barrel are stainless steel in this Overwatch model.

Last Edited:
You might look at a Winchester XPR. Based on my sample of one, I was impressed with the trigger and overall looks of the .30-06 I won at the RMEF banquet last year, given the price point at which those rifles sell. Maybe I just got lucky to get a good one. I don't know.

You might look at a Winchester XPR. Based on my sample of one, I was impressed with the trigger and overall looks of the .30-06 I won at the RMEF banquet last year, given the price point at which those rifles sell. Maybe I just got lucky to get a good one. I don't know.
#2 on the XPR my son has the 270 in Kryptek and works well the problem is finding a new rifle not in 6.5c !!

I'm an unapologetic Tikka fan, but for the stated budget a long-action Ruger American Rifle in .270 will fit the bill.

They aren't fancy (to say the least), but (after a break in) the first three shots from a cold barrel will fit within a dime… just fine for hunting…. or sniping.

;):D

I'm an unapologetic Tikka fan, but for the stated budget a long-action Ruger American Rifle in .270 will fit the bill.

They aren't fancy (to say the least), but (after a break in) the first three shots from a cold barrel will fit within dime… just fine for hunting…. or sniping.

;):D
I have the Ruger American in 556 and great rifle for the money no complaints here

I like the Howa but the safety kept moving to fire position while on my shoulder, worth checking if you carry right shoulder. The Rugers seem good, but my brother spent almost a year trying to get a 308 to shoot before they finally replaced the barrel. If you can find a Marlin XL7 or X7, they are good rifles too, even the Remlins; Rem knows how to build a bolt rifle.

I am thinking this could be the 270 rifle for me? Stock is ugly but price is decent with free shipping.

If I ever get tired of the 270 barrel I can swap in a 30-06 barrel.

This Ruger is $100ish more.

Last Edited:
In the PNW, I would not consider anything unless it was stainless.

Used Tikka 270 T3 stainless with scope is $600 on Gunbroker. That is nearly the same price a budget rifle will cost by the time you scope it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top