Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for my first revolver (please help me find the right one for me)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Neil, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Neil

Neil Portland Metro Area Member

I am in need of adding a revolver to my collection (mainly to shoot)!

I am interested in a stainless, 44 magnum, 2" to 4" barrel, double action, night sights, heavy duty, preferably pre-lock/lawyer features and I am partial to S & W.

This gun will be used primarily in the back country.

Thanks for your help!

Deep down I really wanted to buy a S & W 617, 10 shot, 22LR, Stainless, 4" or 6" barrel. I looked at both recently at Keiths, but I have enough in 22 LR right now. Hopefully that particuliar revolver will be my 2nd one.

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

3. Neil

Neil Portland Metro Area Member

I will add the S & W 629 to my list to check out (next time I am at a place that has one). Anyone have any experience with Dan Wessons or other S & W's?

Thanks

4. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

You cannot go wrong with the 617 w/6" barrel. It's a great shooting and very accurate piece.

5. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

If you go to the gun shows, you can usually find pre-lock 4" 629 S&W revolvers. They'll cost more than the newer production, but you can at least still find them. Try next weekend at the Portland show...

You'll need to have night sights custom installed. There are a few places that do that on revolvers, bu their names escape me at the moment.