JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're a little late for this year Joe!....You to ZA. :) But come next year lets get a good dialog going for sure!

I've been fascinated with fungus since I was in my early teens, because my father was. My favorite book is "The Audubon Society's Guide to North American Mushrooms". Then, another one that everyone here touts is "All the Rain Promises". Check out fungiperfecti.com You can buy easy to grow mushroom kits. The "Oyster mushroom" kit is affordable and easy to grow, and eat.
"Fascinated with fungus", that's not something you hear everyday.

I'm interested in this as well. I have a book, but I'm not comfortable doing it without some experienced advice. Found some that I think were chantrelles last weekend while bowhunting in the coast range, but they were 'melting'...probably had experienced a freeze. I think of it as another reason to get outdoors....with, hopefully, a little bounty to boot.....

Shoot me a PM joe13 when you are up and about more and ready for an adventure, I can hook ya up with an expert who can show you every thing you ever needed to know, Including some simply awesome dishes! He knows all THE places to find them, and the places to avoid getting shot with pellet guns ( BAD STORY) and if I get back up this spring, I would love to tag along and share what I know, Places I know! Tie it in with some Springer Fishing, and we got the makins of a heck of a fun time! Lets keep this going folks, I have no problem sharing!

Shoot me a PM joe13 when you are up and about more and ready for an adventure, I can hook ya up with an expert who can show you every thing you ever needed to know, Including some simply awesome dishes! He knows all THE places to find them, and the places to avoid getting shot with pellet guns ( BAD STORY) and if I get back up this spring, I would love to tag along and share what I know, Places I know! Tie it in with some Springer Fishing, and we got the makins of a heck of a fun time! Lets keep this going folks, I have no problem sharing!

Very awesome man:cool:.

These grow allot around here... no idea what they are.
IMG_4387.JPG

Other spots here we have giant rings of mushroom, dunno those either. But the rings are 10' some 20' in diameter.

I to would be very interested in learning what's good to eat.

Other spots here we have giant rings of mushroom, dunno those either. But the rings are 10' some 20' in diameter.

They look like this......
166_RGBHIRES_Marasmius-oreades_Mar-83-WEB.jpg

and a close-up

upload_2016-12-10_6-22-52.jpeg

That's possibly "Fairy Ring Mushroom". Marasmius Oreades . That happens to be a decent edible. Toss the stem and eat (Cook) the cap. As mentioned by somebody else, the proper way to make sure you won't have a reaction to a wild mushroom is to eat very little to start. If you have no upset then try a little more. Always cooked. Generally wild mushroom should not be eaten raw.

The Amanita Muscaria in your photo is considered poisonous, but native Indians did use it as a hallucinogen. I wouldn't advise it though. IF someone were wanting that sorta thing there are other fungus that could fill the bill with much less risk.

I've picked several grocery store size bags of chanterelles. Dry them. And throw in freezer when you pick a lot. That first bite of your first picked will pucker up your butthole. There good. Know where to look. They seem to come back in areas year after year.
Morrels are near burn sites. Old logged areas.
Truffles are the ticket. You find those in filbert orchards. People use dogs to sniff them out.
The mushroom biz is serious. Asians kill others to protect there areas. Out east more.

One more thought. Seems like someone always gets lost looking for those things. When your heads down and your looking at the ground while walking, you don't pay attention to where you went. Gps might be handy.

Just pick Bear Bread all are edible but most taste like Sheet
View attachment 327964

Fly Agaric,
Poisionus / Hallucinogenic you might trip or you might die.

View attachment 327964

As others have said, those are Amanita Muscaria and shouldn't be consumed unless you are looking for an "interesting" couple of days.
They do have a super interesting history though, they have been used in Native American rituals, as well as by Mongolian shamans to contact some female weather/fertility goddess or something. Some ethnobotanists believe that the "soma" referred to in ancient Hindu texts is actually the Amanita mushroom.
Anyway, they are edible, in that they can be eaten and probably won't kill you, but unless you are fully prepared for what is going to happen, you will be in for a hellacious experience.
I really want to learn more about mushroom hunting around here, so will be watching this thread! The last time I went out into the woods with a buddy of mine who knows about these things, I was amazed by the quantity of edible fungi growing out there

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top