JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone.
My buddies are looking to order some SBR lowers in the Oregon area.
They'd rather order than to get a standard lower and then file the form for an SBR.
Some manufactures have told me that they were able to build them as an SBR, and then it only required the $5 transfer tax.

So, anyone know of some manufactures in OR...?

To my knowledge, no SB "rifle" can be made into a AOW. But, a pistol grip SB "Shotgun" like the <broken link removed> can. But it has to be mfg from a "virgin" receiver that has never been assembled into a firearm.

You would need a mfger that can get receivers directly from the factory (REM & MOSS). I know only of one Oregon licensed mfger I can recommend: orl-llc.com

Does that mean there is no way an AR-15 lower can be NFA-ed as an AOW? There is at least one way I can think of. Get a NFA mfger to register a lower as a .410Ga SB "pistol" and cut the upper bbl under 18". Is it worth it? That's up to you.

Notice that a rifle or pistol caliber upper under 16" on a pistol receiver is not NFA, but a shotgun caliber upper under 18" is. Does it make sense? Of course not!!! And that's yet another whole ball of wax.

Thanks for the info guys.
They're thinking of just ordering from Larue or Wilson.
Any preference on manufactures...?
Anyone local...?

You might advise them to do some more reasearch on NFA items and SBRs. Perhaps hit up a local class 3 dealer and get some insight. NFA is relatively painless if you know what you are doing, but can also land you in federal prison if you don't.

The only way that buying a Factory SBR vs building one is really different, is in the engraving. You must engrave your name/trust name on a SBR that YOU make. You don't engrave anything on a factory SBR. But your buying a complete SBR firearm from the factory, not just a lower.

You can reuse the serial on a lower when filing a form 1. You must engrave a city and state for personal. Or the name of the trust if done via a NFA trust.

You don't need to engrave an additional serial unless you want to.

Also. You engrave it after you receive your stamp. Then assemble it into a SBR.

The only way that buying a Factory SBR vs building one is really different, is in the engraving.
Yep, this ^^^

You are going to have to pay the $200 stamp either way. A Factory SBR will cost more than a regular stripped lower + the cost to engrave it.

With an AR, it would be better to build exactly what you want than buy the completed rifle and have to pay more to upgrade to what you want.

There are no factory sbr lowers. Only factory sbr rifles that have a makers mark on file with ATF. Any lower regardless were purchased if not already a registered factory rifle will have to be form 1 with all engraving and tax payed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top